7 Best Windows 10 Backup Utility [Features and How-to Guide]
Windows 10 offers several backup utilities that can help you protect your data from loss or corruption. This article will look at the Windows 10 backup utility and what each one offers. We'll also provide tips on choosing the correct backup utility for your needs.
The Manual Backup - Windows built-in tools:
- File History: only backs up copies of files in the Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your computer.
- Backup and Restore: create the file, folder, and system image backups.
The Automatic Backup - Third-party free Windows backup software:
- EaseUS Todo Backup Free： Backs up everything you want, like OS, files, hard drive (Internal & External disks), and Outlook mail.
- Cobian Backup: Back up your directories and files.
- Fbackup: back up files and folders.
- IDrive MIRROR: Back up OS and all data files to the cloud.
- Acronis Cvber Protect Home Office: create a mirror image of the entire PC, including OS, apps, settings, folders, and configurations to the cloud, NAS, and external drive.
See supported OS and Cost:
|EaseUS Todo Backup Free||Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista||√|
|File History||Windows 8.1/10/11||√|
|Backup and Restore||Windows 8/10/11||√|
|Fbackup||Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, Server 2022/2019/2016/2012/2008 (32/64-bits)||
Advanced version: $49.99
|Cobian Backup||Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10||√|
30-day free trial
Maximum Cost: $52.12
|Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office||Windows 7/8/8.1/10/11/Server 2011||
Advanced version: $49.99
EaseUS Todo Backup Free is a free backup software that can help you protect your essential data. It offers various features to ensure your data is safe, including file backup, system backup, and disk backup. With EaseUS Todo Backup Free, you can schedule backups to run automatically and encrypt your backups to keep them extra safe.
Whether you're worried about losing important files or just wanting to have an extra copy of your data in an emergency, EaseUS Todo Backup Free is a great option.
1. Unlimited file/system/disk/partition backup and restore.
2. 250GB of cloud storage for free.
3. Support disaster recovery when the P.C. fails to boot.
4. Get different backup types: Full/Differential/Incremental Backup.
|Enjoy more cloud storage and clone function, upgrade to EaseUS Todo Backup Home.|
We have 5 solutions for you. Your data is now retrievable with the best free Windows 11 backup software. Keep reading to discover the best backup software.
File History is a feature in Windows that automatically saves copies of your files to an external drive. File History can help you restore lost or accidentally deleted files and revert back to an older file version if you've made changes that you later decide you don't want.
1. Connect an external hard drive to your computer and open the File History panel from the Control Panel.
2. From here, you can choose which folders you want File History to monitor and how often you want it to save copies of your files. Once File History is set up, it will automatically save new versions of your files every hour (by default).
How to Restore Files from File History:
If you need to restore a file, open the File History panel and browse through the available versions of the file. When you find the version, you want to restore, simply select it and click the "Restore" button. File History will then copy the selected file to its original location on your hard drive.
Windows 10 Backup and Restore is a feature that allows you to create backups of your files and restore them if necessary. You can use Backup and Restore to backup files on your computer to an external hard drive or network location.
How to Use Windows 10 Backup Utility
Step 1. Open the Control Panel and go to System and Security. Under Backup, click the Backup and Restore link.
Step 2. On the Backup and Restore page, click the Create a system image link.
Step 3. Follow the prompted steps.
- On the next page, you will be asked where you want to save the backup.
- You can choose to save it to an external hard drive or network location.
- Once you have selected a location, click the Next button to continue.
- On the next page, you will be asked what you want to include in the backup. You can choose to have everything or only specific files and folders.
- Once you have made your selection, click the Next button to continue.
- You will be asked when you want to create the backup on the next page. You can choose to make it immediately or schedule it for a later time.
- Once you have made your selection, click the Next button to continue.
Step 4. You will be asked to review your selections on the last page before creating the backup. Once everything is correct, click the Finish button to start the backup.
To restore files with Windows Backup and Restore, follow these steps:
1. Open the Control Panel and click "Backup and Restore."
2. Click on "Restore my files."
3. Select the backup file's drive and click "Next."
4. Select the backup file folder and click "Next."
5. Select the date you want to restore from and click "Next."
6. Select the files you want to restore and click "Restore."
7. Click "Finish" when the restore is complete.
Downloading software won't take too much time, just 18.8MB. When starting a backup task, it does confuse me to figure out where to add a new task, seems all white here.
Cobian Backup is a free Windows 10 backup utility that can be used to schedule and create backups of files and folders in Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/8/11. It gives you basic options to create a scheduled backup and encrypt and compress backup.
1. Completely free Windows backup software.
2. Highly flexible: Make a scheduled backup and set up the backup type.
3. Clear interface.
1. No clear instructions.
2. There are no clone functions than other software.
To check free Windows backup software, you should see another Windows backup tool - Fbackup. Fbackup is a free backup software that helps you to create backups of your essential files on schedule. It is effortless to use and has four factors that make it very powerful.
Enjoy the smooth process:
- Where - Set up your destination to save backup files.
- What - the source data needed to be backed up.
- How - Select backup types (full backup or mirror backup).
- When - make a scheduled plan (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.）
1. Clear interface and instruction links.
2. Get "What's New" at any time.
3. Functions can cover daily backup demands
The download takes you to several pages.
You can see a cloud-based disk image backup software if the offline backup is not your target. IDrive MIRROR is an online backup service that helps you protect your essential files from being lost or damaged.
With IDrive MIRROR, you can choose to have your backups stored in the cloud or on a local drive. You can also schedule when you want your backups to occur and set up automatic backups, so your files are always protected. Create an account and start to download the application.
1. Free use for 30 days—no need to enter a credit card.
2. Protect your data with High-standard backup technology.
3. Check your backup plan and targeted machine online at any time.
4. It is flexible to back up multiple computers in one account.
1. Can't back up the selected files, such as one single file or folder.
2. The "Modify" button is not apparent regarding the backup interface.
3. 1 TB free. To get more storage space, you need to buy an upgrade plan. ($52.12 for the first year.)
Speaking of cloud backup tools, you should not skip Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office.
Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office is a comprehensive cyber protection solution that helps you safeguard your data and devices, back up your files and applications to a cloud or external drive, and recover from ransomware or malware attacks. Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office provides the most comprehensive features to defend against the most sophisticated cyber threats, including ransomware, viruses, spyware, and other malware.
Note: It performs as a toolkit to set up your data.
1. Offer cloud backup - 1 TB for free.
2. Clone the old hard drive to a larger disk.
3. Get anti-malware protection on your device and backup.
4. Restore cloud backup files from any devices.
1. It takes a long time to download(805MB).
2. You need to create an Acronis account before backup data.
Window 10 Backup Utility FAQs
1. Does Windows 10 have a backup utility?
Yes, File History and Backup and Restore.
2. What is the best way to backup a Windows 10 computer?
To free back up all data without data loss, we recommend EaseUS Todo Backup Free. It holds robust features to create a backup for your device.
3. How do you upgrade a hard drive in Windows 10? - Quora.com
Step 1. Back up data. This is important because installing a new hard drive will erase everything on your current one. Once you've made your purchase, it's time to install the new hard drive.
Step 2. If you're upgrading from an older hard drive, you'll need to format the new one before you can use it. After the new hard drive has been formatted, you can copy your data onto it and start using it as normal.
4. How to backup software in windows 10? - Quora.com
You can use the backup feature built into the operating system. This can be accessed by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)." From here, you can create a backup schedule and specify which files and folders you would like to include in the backup.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!