If you use a Windows 10 computer, you may have noticed that the system keeps reminding you to set up Microsoft OneDrive. You may wonder whether you need to do it or not. In this post, we will explain what OneDrive is and do you need to use it. Read it and get your answer!
OneDrive, developed and launched by Microsoft in 2007, is a cloud storage service that comes with your Microsoft account. It allows you to backup and sync files on the cloud so that you can access them from anywhere, anytime, through the internet.
OneDrive is compatible with all versions of Windows, as well as with Mac OS X, iOS, and Android. Besides, there is also a OneDrive app for Xbox. It offers you 5GB of free storage space when you sign up. And you can get more storage by paying for a subscription.
As we all know, Microsoft is trying to push its own products and services to users, and so is OneDrive. That's why it comes with every new installation of Windows 10. Even though you can uninstall it, the system will still keep reminding you to set it up.
So, do I need to use Microsoft OneDrive? The answer is both YES and NO.
OneDrive offers some practical features that you can use to keep your data safe. These are also the supporting points for using OneDrive.
- 5GB free storage space: Once you sign up for a Microsoft account, you will get 5GB of free storage space on OneDrive. You can use it to sync and store your photos, videos, and documents.
- Real-time file syncing: It automatically saves and syncs your files in real-time across all your devices that have OneDrive installed. So you can access your files anywhere, anytime.
- File sharing: It automatically saves and syncs your files in real-time across all your devices that have OneDrive installed. So you can get access to your files anywhere, anytime.
- Security and privacy: OneDrive uses AES 128-bit encryption to protect your data in transit and at rest. You can also add a layer of protection by setting up two-factor authentication.
However, some people are not comfortable with the idea of Microsoft knowing everything about what's on their computer. And OneDrive has some disadvantages below:
- OneDrive takes up a lot of space on your computer. If you have limited storage, it's not a good idea to use it.
- The files you store on OneDrive are not completely safe. Microsoft can access and view your files and even hand them over to the government if required by law.
- OneDrive is known for its reliability issues. There have been reports of people losing their files stored on OneDrive. So if you want to use it, make sure you have a backup.
- The storage space is limited. Although you can get more storage by paying for a subscription, the maximum storage space you can get is only 1TB.
- There may be some problems when using OneDrive, such as can't log in, the order of files after synchronization being disordered, files cannot be opened, etc.
Whether to use OneDrive or not is up to you. If you don't mind Microsoft looking at your files and having enough storage space on your computer, then go ahead and use it. But if you're concerned about privacy or don't want to risk losing your files, then it's best to avoid it.
Based on the above, you know that OneDrive isn't a necessary tool for Windows. If you have decided not to use OneDrive, then you can follow the steps below to uninstall it.
For Windows 10 Home users
If you use Windows 10 Home edition, the easiest way to uninstall OneDrive is to use the “Uninstall a program” feature in Control Panel.
Here are the detailed steps:
Step 1: Open Control Panel by typing "control panel" in the search box and then clicking on the "Control Panel" result.
Step 2: In the Control Panel window, click on "Uninstall a program" under the "Programs" category.
Step 3: Scroll down and find the "Microsoft OneDrive" entry.
Step 4: Click on the "Uninstall" button and follow the prompts to uninstall it.
For Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users
If you use Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise edition, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive.
Here are the detailed steps:
Step 1: Type "gpedit.msc" in the search box and then click on the "Edit group policy" result.
Step 2: Expand the "Computer Configuration" node and then navigate to the following path:
Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive
Step 3: In the right pane, find and double-click on the "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" policy.
Step 4: Select the "Enabled" option and then click on the "OK" button to save the changes.
EaseUS Todo Backup Home is a professional backup and restore program that can keep your data safe.
It comes with many practical features that are not available in OneDrive, such as:
- Unlimited storage space: You can store as much data as you want without worrying about storage space. It also provides 250GB of free Cloud storage space.
- Better security: Your data is encrypted backup and can only be accessed by you.
- File versioning: You can create multiple versions of your files and restore them at any time.
- Scheduled backups: You can set up regular backups so that your data is always backed up.
- System/disk clone: You can clone your system or disk so that you can restore it in case of a crash.
- Full/Differential/Incremental Backup: You can choose the backup type that best suits your needs.
- One-click to restore: You can restore your data with just a few clicks.
EaseUS Todo Backup Home is an excellent alternative to OneDrive. It is more reliable and provides more features. Thus, it is a better choice for backing up and protecting your data.
You may learn how to use it to back up files through the following steps:
Step 1. Click the "Select backup contents" button to start backup.
Step 2. There are four data backup categories, File, Disk, OS, and Mail, click File.
Step 3. Both local and network files will be listed on the left. You can expand the directory to select the files to be backed up.
Step 4. Follow the on-screen guide, select the destination where you want to save the backup.
Click "Options" to encrypt the backup with password in "Backup Options", set the backup schedule and choose to start back up at certain event in "Backup Scheme". There are also many other options you can explore, customize the backup task according to your need.
Step 5. You can store the backup to local drive, EaseUS's cloud service, and NAS.
Step 6. EaseUS Todo Backup enables users to back up data to both third-party cloud drive and its own cloud drive.
If you want to back up data to third-party cloud drive, choose Local Drive, scroll down to add Cloud Device, add and login your account.
You can also choose EaseUS's own cloud drive. Click EaseUS Cloud, sign up with your EaseUS Account and log in.
Step 7. Click "Backup Now" to start backup. After the backup task is completed, it will be displayed in the form of a card on the left side of the panel. Right-click the backup task to further manage it.
1. What will happen if I don't use OneDrive?
If you uninstall OneDrive, your OneDrive folder will still be on your computer, but it will no longer sync with OneDrive. You can still access your files from the OneDrive website.
2. Is OneDrive necessary for Windows?
No, OneDrive is not necessary for Windows. You can uninstall it if you do not want to use it, and use other tools, like EaseUS Todo Backup Home to protect your data.
3. What are the disadvantages of OneDrive?
Some of the disadvantages of OneDrive include:
- It takes up a lot of storage space, and provides limited free storage space.
- It is not as secure as other backup solutions.
- It does not provide as many features as other backup solutions.
4. Is there any better alternative to OneDrive?
Yes, there are better alternatives to OneDrive, such as EaseUS Todo Backup Home. It is more reliable and provides more features. Thus, it is a better choice for backing up and protecting your data.
The Bottom Line
Do I need Microsoft OneDrive? Well, OneDrive is a helpful tool for backing up and storing your data. However, it has some disadvantages and is not a necessary tool for Windows. If you are looking for a method to keep the safety of your computer, we recommend EaseUS Todo Backup Home, which is a better alternative to OneDrive. It is more reliable, provides more features, and has better security.
We hope this article was helpful. Thanks for reading!
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Larissa
Larissa has rich experience in writing technical articles. After joining EaseUS, she frantically learned about data recovery, disk partitioning, data backup, and other related knowledge. Now she is able to master the relevant content proficiently and write effective step-by-step guides on computer issues.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!