Page Table of Contents
Q: "Can I save the Microsoft Office installation to an external hard drive and run the application from it?"
A: "When you install the software it will create registry items within the Windows folders, which are on the main drive, usually the C drive. So, if you want to be able to run Office on different computers via the external hard drive, it may fail due to the lack of essential registry contents, unless using a professional PC transfer software for help."
In this article, we are going to teach you how to install Office on the external hard drive. We also pinpoint the precautions to avoid data loss. Please read carefully and note the bold font.
View Necessary Information on How to Save/Run Microsoft Office to/from External Hard Drive:
|💻Supported Version||Microsoft Office 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/2017/365|
|⛑️Preparation||External hard drive or USB drive|
|⛏️Tools||App mover - EaseUS Todo PCTrans|
Because your Microsoft Office's information is existing in the Windows Registry and hard to run correctly via copy, so the professional application migration tool stands out. With the help of Office transfer software, you can easily install Office on the external hard drive.
It can transfer Microsoft Office to an External hard drive via "App Migration" mode. By applying such mode, the Office will change its installation. Moreover, if you have forgotten your Microsoft Office product key, EaseUS Todo PCTrans can find it with a click.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans
- Transfer Office 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/365 and find key.
- Transfer Office from PC to PC/Laptop via LAN, WiFi or Image.
- Move Office from C drive to a local/external drive, no boot error.
So, if you wish to save disk space by installing the large-size Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and Office 365, to somewhere else other than the local drive, and be able to run an application from an external drive, make it happen in the other way.
- Use the normal way to completely download and install the desired Office version on your computer.
- Transfer the whole installation from the PC storage to the wanted place via EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
- Don't uninstall your Office on your PC/laptop after transferring. Staying the same! (Once you uninstall it on your computer, Office can not run.)
- In the end, open and run the Office application whenever you need by connecting the external drive to your computer.
Here is how to start the Office transfer from a PC to an external hard drive/USB drive:
First, download and install EaseUS Todo PCTrans. (Click the download button on your PC, where the Microsoft Office is installed. EaseUS transfer software is very light and small. You can quickly install it in a few seconds.)
Then, move your MS Office to the external storage device:
Step 1. Connect the external device and select the transfer mode.
- Connect your external storage device (external hard drive, USB, SD card, and more) to your PC.
- Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans and go to "App Migration" > "Start".
Step 2. Select Microsoft Office and set the storage path.
- Select the drive where you have installed Microsoft Office on and select Microsoft Office.
- Click "triangle icon" and choose to transfer the application to your external storage device.
- Click "Transfer" to start transferring Microsoft Office to an external storage medium.
Step 3. Wait for the transfer process to finish.
- Wait patiently for the process to complete.
- Click "OK" when it has done.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is a powerful and convenient tool for moving programs and Apps. If you like this guide and this tool, you can share it with others by clicking the social buttons below.
Additional help for you to manage the Microsoft installation location:
Anyway, don't take the Office transfer too easily to copy the download files to a portable drive. It doesn't work because you cannot move the registry components.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans can do more in transferring applications, files and folders, and even user accounts between multiple computers using the network connection and an image file. Click for more tutorials if you're interested in other possible ways to place the Office anywhere you want.
|Transfer Microsoft Office from One PC to another||This page shows you how to transfer Microsoft Office 2010/2013/2016 application with its product key from one laptop to another.||Read More|
|Transfer Microsoft Office from One Hard Drive to Another||Read on and change the Microsoft Office location.||Read More|
|Transfer Microsoft Office to Another Computer with A Flash Drive||Let's read in detail about how to transfer Microsoft Office from one desktop/laptop to another with simply a USB flash drive.||Read More|
|How to Backup Microsoft Office Before Reformatting Hard Drive or PC||Easy way to backup Microsoft Office before reformatting the hard drive/computer.|
FAQs About Saving/Running Microsoft Office to/from External Hard Drive
This section will provide more questions related to saving/running Microsoft Office from the external hard drive. If you are interested, keep reading.
1. Can I run Microsoft Office from USB?
Yes, you can run Microsoft Office on USB. You need to copy Microsoft Office to USB first and then run the Office application from USB.
2. Can I install Microsoft on the external hard drive?
You cannot install Office on an external hard drive. An office can only be installed on Windows x86 or the Program files folder available in the C drive of the local disk where Windows is installed. It requires a .dll file to run the program. If you want to move Microsoft to an external hard drive, you can use a professional transfer tool after installing Windows.
3. How to move Microsoft to an external hard drive?
Microsoft is installed on Windows with registry entries. If you want to migrate software, including the registry, use a professional tool - EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
- Download and launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
- Connect your external PC, and select the transfer mode of APP Migration.
- Select Microsoft Office and set the path to the external drive.
About the Author
Written by Jean
Jean has been working as a professional website editor for quite a long time. Her articles focus on topics of computer backup, data security tips, data recovery, and disk partitioning. Also, she writes many guides and tutorials on PC hardware & software troubleshooting. She keeps two lovely parrots and likes making vlogs of pets. With experience in video recording and video editing, she starts writing blogs on multimedia topics now.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More