How to Move Files from SSD to HDD in Windows 10
"I have a 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I want to keep my OS and games on my SSD and move files to the HDD because of disk capacity issues. How would I do that? You may suggest that I can do it with copy-and-paste. But I get a large number of files to be moved, and it's not the most effective way. Could you help me to transfer all files from SSD to HDD at once?"
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. How to Move Files from SSD to HDD on Windows 10||Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans > Select transfer mode...Full steps|
|Fix 2. How to Move Installed Apps & Programs from SSD to HDD||Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans > Choose "App Migration"...Full steps|
Why Do You Need to Transfer Files from SSD to HDD
SSD is getting more and more popular due to its faster reading and writing speed, stronger shock resistance, no noise, and lightweight features. You can install the OS on the SSD to speed up your computer. And you might install your favorite programs on the SSD to get better game experience.
As time goes by, the SSD may have too many programs and files and is lack of space. To troubleshoot, you may think of uninstalling and re-installing those programs to another hard drive, which definitely will take a long time. Besides, these programs certainly don't run as well as they do on SSD. Then, you have the only option of transferring files from SSD to HDD because the operating system must be installed on SSD, which is why you buy SSD in the first place.
On this page, we will delve into how to move files from SSD to HDD in Windows 10/8/7, from one SSD to another, from HDD to SSD, or from HDD to HDD. When we talk about moving files from one place to another, the first thought would be copy-and-paste, which works for small amounts of data. But when it comes to transferring a large number of files, it won't be the most effective any longer. Don't worry, here you can figure out the quickest and most straightforward method to copy files from SSD to HDD with EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Go on reading and see the details.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans enables you to transfer data and files from one drive to another with the Image Transfer mode. You can easily migrate files from SSD to HDD by creating an image and restoring it. It also works as a file backup.
Another two unique data transfer patterns of this data transfer software are:
- PC to PC: It allows you to effortlessly transfer data, applications, and account settings from one PC to another in one click. See tutorials on how to transfer files from one PC to another in Windows 10.
- App Migration: It enables you to migrate applications from one disk/drive to another locally, and free up space. Refer to how to transfer programs from C drive to Drive for details.
Now, you can download and install this software on your PC, and apply to transfer files with step-by-step guides below.
Step 1. Create a backup file of the source hard drive
Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on your Windows computer. Navigate to the "Backup & Restore" mode and click "Start".
Hover your mouse over "Data Backup", and click "Next". Later, confirm the default settings of the file name and file path, or you can customize the settings on your own.
Now select the items you want to transfer to the other hard drive. EaseUS Todo PCTrans allows users to create backup files of multiple file types, including applications, personal data, and user accounts. To transfer files from one drive to another, deselect the "Applications" and "Accounts", hover your mouse over "Files", and click "Edit".
This is where you need to select files on the source drive. Expand the drive so you can selectively choose desired files, after then click "Finish". In the end, click "Backup". Wait for the process completes.
Step 2. Restore the file to the destination drive
Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans and follow the same way to reach the step of selecting a transfer method. This time choose "Data Restore" and click "Next".
Choose the existing backup file presenting on the interface, or navigate to the exact file path where the backup file is, click "Restore".
You're back to the "Files", click "Edit" to get in. The backup file is viewable here. You need to click the pencil icon to set the target location, which is the other hard drive, and submit the change. After the basic settings, click "Finish" and finally "Restore". Wait patiently until the transfer process is over.
If you don't have a lot of files on your SSD, file transfer won't free up much room. In this situation, you have to consider migrating some software from SSD to HDD. Some of you may suggest the copy-and-paste manually. But usually, there will be something wrong with programs due to registry problems, which shows that you can't open them by clicking their icons after transferring.
Then, how to move installed programs from SSD to HDD without reinstallation? Use the App Migration function mentioned above for help. This method allows you to transfer programs selectively and directly from one disk/drive to another.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans and select transfer mode
On the main screen of EaseUS Todo PCTrans, go to "App Migration" section and click "Start" to continue.
Step 2. Select apps and another drive to transfer
1. Select the source partition and tick applications, programs and software (marked as "Yes") that you'd like to migrate.
2. Click triangle icon to select another drive or disk as your target device and click "Transfer" to start the migration.
Step 3. Finish the migration process
When the transferring process finishes, click "OK" to complete.
You can restart your PC to keep all the changes, and you should be able to run your migrated apps on the other drive again.
How to Maintain SSD Correctly Daily
As a new kind of storage medium, SSD is entirely different from the working principle of the past HDD, which causes the SSD to be consciously maintained in daily use. Otherwise, if the usage time extends, the speed will be severely slowed down, and the disk life will be shortened, resulting in data loss, data corruption, or even the entire disk damage.
so, how should the SSD be properly maintained every day? Don't be afraid, as long as you avoid the following wrong operations and keep the good usage habits; it is effortless to use SSD.
What Not to Do
- Frequent power outages, or abnormal shutdowns: Once a power outage occurs, or the user presses the power button to force a shutdown, the data stored in the cache is lost. Seriously, it may even cause the entire disk to become unreadable.
- Do not use power for a long time: It is recommended to use it once every other time (you can disconnect the data cable and only connect the power cable), about half an hour is enough to maintain the integrity of the data in the SSD.
- Do not use SSDS as a hard drive for heavy loading: Do not use the Downloader on the SSD; try to use the mechanical hard drive as the download disk. This can protect the SSD and extend its life.
- Turn on AHCI and make 4K alignment: These can effectively improve performance and extend disk life.
What to Do
- Give the computer a "rest" time: Do not shut down immediately after using the computer, or let the computer "rest" for a while, which helps the SSD to maintain itself.
- Reserve OP space for SSD: When partitioning, you can leave a part of the unformatted area on the SSD. At least it should be reserved for 17%-20%. If some flash blocks in the entire SSD are damaged, the master will automatically use the unallocated space instead, which will extend the overall life of the SSD in disguise.
After reading this article, I believe that you know clearly how to transfer files or programs from SSD to HDD, or more broadly, between two hard drives. As you can see, EaseUS Todo PCTrans does very well in PC data transfer. You can use it to set up a new PC in one click by using the PC to PC transfer mode, back up your essential data with the Image Transfer feature, and free up your C drive by migrating the installed applications effectively. Don't hesitate, try it now.
Was This Page Helpful?
About EaseUS Todo PCTrans
EaseUS Todo PCTrans can transfer settings, applications and data between PCs and HDDs. Your all-round PC transfer and migrate software to upgrade devices without re-installation.