Page Table of Contents
Quick View Of All Necessities for Moving User Folder to Another Drive on Windows 11:
|5 -15 minutes or more (depending on User folder data size)
|Downloads, Documents, Videos, Images, and other Desktop folders and files.
|Windows 11 and older Windows operating systems.
The User folder on Windows 11 is created for PC users when they set up the new system. This folder contains all the vital library folders such as Documents, Downloads, and many other Desktop folders.
Primarily, the user folder is saved on the C drive from where you can easily access it. However, if your C drive or any other drive where your user folder is located doesn't have sufficient space, you better plan to move the user folder to another drive on Windows 11. That's because the user folder can be a bit heavy based on your data size, which can slow down your system performance.
How to Move User Folder to Another Drive on Windows 11 - 4 Ways
But isn't it risky to move the user folder?
Yes, it is slightly risky to move user folders to a new location, but you can seamlessly move your user files if you follow the right method. In this post, you will find the right methods to move user files to another drive on Windows 11 without losing data. So, let's get started! There, you have various modes to move data within your drives, such as:
PC migration software is the best option for you when you want to move user folders to another drive without going through system settings. Simply, you have to download the software, and in a couple of steps, you can move your user folder to the new location.
Today, there is plenty of different PC migration software available in the market. But the simplest, robust, free PC migration software is EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
This tool can easily transfer all your custom user settings, programs, and user files to another drive with just a few clicks. Additionally, you can create a user folder backup with this software in an emergency. Importantly, the software is compatible with all available Windows versions, including Windows 11.
For user folder migration, EaseUS Todo PCTrans has a very powerful feature called Large File Cleanup. You can find all the large user files on your system and then seamlessly move them to another drive or PC using this feature. You can use this simple feature as follows:
Step 1. Click "Large File Cleanup" on the left panel, and click "Start" button.
Step 2. Select "Folder" tab, check the folders you want to move. Choose target drive and click "Move" button.
Step 3. Wait for moving process completes. Click "Finish".
Note: You can click the "Restore" button to restore the current folder to the default location.
If you think this method is efficient and it works to resolve your issues, feel free to share this article to help more friends around you online:
Besides the easy PC migration software method, you can take a manual approach to shift user folders on your computer. Using the Windows Settings, you can move folders as:
Go to Windows Settings > Systems > Storage > Change where new content is saved.
Select the new save location, let's say D drive or another location, and save the changes.
Are you facing the 'We Couldn't Set Your Default Save Location' error when trying to move your app data? Find out how to resolve this issue in the following guide.
Another manual method to transfer user files and folders to another drive is using File Explorer. This method works as:
- Open File Explorer > This PC > Device and drivers, select the new drive location.
- Go to the location where you wish to move user folders.
- Tap on the New folder button and name the new folder.
- Repeat the steps if you want to transfer multiple folders to another drive.
- Now, open the Run command by pressing Windows + R keys together.
- Type the path to open the location with the user account default folders — %HOMEPATH%
- Right-click on the folder you prefer to move and click on the Properties option.
- Click on the Location tab > Move button > Select the folder in the new location.
- Click on the Select Folder button > Apply > Yes, and your default user folder is moved to the new location.
Restore Default Folder Location
If you have changed your mind, you can easily move back user folders to the default location using these steps:
- Launch File Explorer.
- Go to the current user folder's location, right-click on the folder and select the Properties option.
- Click on the Location tab > Restore Default button > Yes, and the folder will be moved back to the previous location.
If you think this method is helpful and useful, feel free to share this article to help more friends around you solve this issue like an expert online:
If you are comfortable tweaking the Registry settings of your computer, you can use Registry Editor and the following command line to move user folders to another drive:
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run box and then type regedit in the box.
- Follow this path — HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folder
- Right-click the files you want to move and click on Modify.
- Add the new drive location.
- Now, just restart your PC, and your files will be moved to the new location.
Why Do You Want to Move User Folders to Another Drive? [Benefits]
There are numerous scenarios when a user wishes to move user folders from one drive to another on Windows 11, such as:
1. Updated to Windows 11 (Improve PC performance)
If you have recently updated to Windows 11, your C drive is now 64GB heavier. That's because Windows 11 is graphic-rich and requires adequate space to run smoothly on your PC. Since both user folders and Windows 11 settings are stored on a C drive; thus, it is good to move user folders to new locations so you run Windows 11 properly.
2. Backup Purposes (Keep Data Safely)
If you have important photos or documents in your user folder, you can move them to another drive to create a backup. If your hard drive gets damaged or corrupted, this backup will help you retrieve your important files.
3. Low Performance (to Improve It)
If your PC isn't booting properly or crashing up a lot, this might have to do with an overburdened C drive. So, here, shifting some user folders can release pressure from the drive and improve your system's performance.
4. Unequal Disk Partition (Optimize Disk Performance)
If disk space isn't equally divided into different drives on your Windows 11 computer, you can have numerous system problems. Therefore, you should move user folders to another drive to maintain equal space on all your system drives.
Whether you have any of the above-mentioned reasons to move user folders or anything else, it isn't hard to transfer user folders on your Windows 11 with the right approach.
So, you have now checked out the four methods to move your user folders to another drive. Here, the File Explorer and Registry Editor methods are a bit tricky. Although the Windows Settings method is simple, one wrong click here can lead to big system trouble.
So, it leaves you with the PC migration software method, which is safe and easy to move files on Windows 11. And there, you also have EaseUS Todo PCTrans that can quickly migrate your files anywhere.
Now, it's up to you whether to go for an easy software method or a complicated manual method!
FAQs About Moving User Folder to Another Drive Windows 11
Here are some correlated questions about moving user folders on Windows 11, and if you have interesting about this topic, follow and find answers below:
1. Can Windows 10 users move their user profile to another drive？
Yes, the ways of moving the Windows 10 user folder to another drive are similar to the provided methods on this page. You can directly follow the provided methods above on this page for help:
- EaseUS Todo PCTrans
- Windows Settings
- File Explorer
- Registry Editor
Or, if you need a step-by-step guide, follow this tutorial page for help: Transfer User Profile to Another Drive or PC.
2. When should I or do I need to move the user folder to another drive?
Here is a list of situations that you can consider of moving your user folder to another non-system drive:
- C drive gets full or lacks free space
- To separate personal data from OS content
- The computer gets stuck or slow due to low disk space
3. How do I move the user profile to another drive on Windows Server 2019?
To save your time and simplify the procedure of moving your user profiles to another drive, you can turn to reliable PC transfer software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans for help. Here is the brief step guide:
- Open EaseUS Todo PCTrans Enterprise edition and, click "Large File Cleanup", select "Start".
- Go to the "Folder" section, and select the User profile folders you wish to move, then browse a new drive as the target location.
- Click "Move".
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More