In this guide, you'll learn how to repair MBR on Windows 11 with two easy and quick methods. Moreover, you can also get an insight into what MBR is and what are the symptoms of a damaged MBR!
Have you recently got your hands on Windows 11 and facing the MBR repair in Windows 11 issue? If yes, you are at the right place because we are here to help you!
Well, Master Boot Record or MBR is one of the essential pieces of information that allows a computer to locate and identify the location of the second data disk to enable Windows 11 to boot. There are times when viruses or other malware, incorrect shutdown, or errors can corrupt the Master Boot Record (MBR). Other times, you may even come across the "Bootmgr is missing" error message that will prevent your device from starting. So, if you are facing such an issue, you will have to fix the MBR to allow Windows 11 to load your MBR disk again.
|🎯 Workable Solutions||#1. Repair MBR with EaseUS Partition Master||#2. Fix MBR with CMD|
|🤔 Complex Level||Easy||Medium|
|👩🏼💻 Target Users||Beginners||Advanced Users|
|⏱️ Duration||5 minutes||5-10 minutes|
How to Repair MBR (Data) Disk in Windows 11?
When it comes to MBR repair Windows 11, we have two easy and quick ways to do so! The first method will teach you to repair MBR in Windows 11 with a professional and highly advanced tool, whereas the second method will guide you to repair MBR via Command Prompt.
No matter which method you choose, you will get desirable results!
- Tools: Windows 11, USB, MBR repair software
- Supported OS: Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, and older systems.
- Who Is Recommended to Try: Windows beginners and professionals
"How to repair MBR in Windows 11" is no longer an issue and hassle with EaseUS Partition Master. Yes, you read that correctly.
EaseUS Partition Master is a top-notch tool that offers you the quick fixes and easiest solutions to fix damaged MBR data disk in your Windows 11 PC. This amazing partition manager tool boasts a "Rebuild MBR" feature that allows users to rebuild MBR Windows 11 in just a few minutes.
So, if the MBR is corrupted or damaged, then you can apply this feature of the EaseUS Partition Master Tool to fix the MBR issue without even destroying the disk partition table.
Step 1. Create a WinPE bootable disk
- Launch EaseUS Partition Master, and click "Bootable Media" on the toolbar. Select "Create bootable media".
- Click "Next" to finish the process.
Step 2. Boot EaseUS Partition Master Bootable USB
- Connect the bootable USB or CD/DVD to your PC.
- Press F2 or Del when you restart the computer to enter the BIOS screen. Set and boot your computer from "Removable Devices" or "CD-ROM Drive". And then EaseUS Partition Master will run automatically.
Step 3. Rebuild MBR
- Click "Toolkit" and choose "Rebuild MBR".
- Select the disk and the type of MBR. Then, click "Rebuild".
- After that, you can see "MBR has been successfully rebuilt on Disk X".
If this guide efficiently fixed the corrupted MBR, and now your computer can boot up normally again, feel free to share this method online to help more friends around you immediately:
Aside from repairing corrupted MBR, here is a list of other useful features that EaseUS Partition Master that you may also like as follows:
- Change Partition Label: EaseUS Partition Master changes the partition label or a drive letter to improve the data organization.
- Check partitions: This professional tool checks the selected partitions for issues and errors and fixes them seamlessly in just a couple of minutes.
- SSD 4K Alignment: EaseUS Partition Master Tool correctly aligns the partitions on SSDs in order to maximize the PC performance.
With a handful of features, EaseUS Partition Master becomes the best and most recommended tool to help you easily handle any partition-related problem. Choose EaseUS Partition Master Tool now and get MBR repaired flawlessly on your Windows 11 PC.
- Tools: Windows 11, CMD - Command Prompt
- Supported OS: Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, and older systems
- Who Is Recommended to Try: Advanced Windows users and administrators only
Another way to repair MBR in Windows 11 is to do it with Command Prompt. When MBR is damaged or corrupted on Windows 11 PC, you can easily apply the Command Prompt method to fix the MBR issue manually.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to repair MBR in Windows 11 via Command Prompt.
Step 1: Boot your Windows 11 PC from the original Windows Installation media.
Step 2: At the Install screen, hit the "Repair Your Computer" option at the bottom of the screen.
Step 3: Here, enter the Command Prompt window from the Creation Tool by choosing "Troubleshoot"> "Advanced Options"> "Command Prompt."
Step 4: Now, type the below-mentioned command in Command Prompt and hit the "Enter" button each time:
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /scanOs
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
Step 5: Finally, type "exit" to close the Command Prompt and restart Windows 11.
Now, you should be able to boot Windows 11 flawlessly.
In the next two parts, we'll include some basic information about what MBR is and symptoms that indicate MBR corruption for you to check. If you are interested, move on reading here.
What Is MBR?
MBR stands for Master Boot Record, which is basically the information in the first sector of any diskette or hard drive that identifies where and how an operating system is located so that it can be loaded or boot into the computer's main storage or Random Access Memory (RAM).
The MBR is often called a "master partition table" or "partition sector" because it involves a table that locates each partition into which the hard disk has been formatted. MBR also consists of a program that reads the boot sector record of the partition containing the operating system to be loaded into RAM.
Talking about the basic features of MBR, these are as follows:
- The maximum number of primary partitions possible on an MBR disk is 4. Each partition needs 16 bytes of space.
- MBR partitions are of 3 types, i.e., Primary Partitions, Logical Partitions, and Extended Partitions.
- The partition table in MBR consists of details regarding the extended and primary partitions only.
Symptoms of a Damaged or Corrupted MBR
As stated above, Master Boot Record or MBR is essential to booting the computer. Therefore, when it is corrupted or damaged, Windows 11 will fail to load the disk and encounter multiple boot errors.
But if you're confused about identifying a damaged MBR, then we have your back. Here's a list of boot errors that you will face on Windows 11:
- Error loading MBR disk
- Bootmgr is missing
- Invalid partition table
- Reboot and select the proper boot device
- Operating system not found
- Boot device not found
So, if you encounter any of these boot errors in your Windows 11 PC, it is a clear indication that the MBR is damaged.
- For Your Information
- It doesn't matter if your MBR partition table gets corrupted or damaged. Stay calm, and stop using your hard drive at first. Then you can refer to the above two methods provided at the beginning of this page for fixing MBR now.
This was all about what MBR is, the symptoms of damaged MBR, and how to repair MBR in Windows 11! It is hassle-free with both the above-stated methods, but if you are looking for a more professional tool and a quick fix for MBR repair Windows 11, EaseUS Partition Master is worth a try! This partition master tool is highly efficient and quick in repairing MBR and making your Windows 11 computer bootable again.
FAQs About Repair MBR in Windows 11
If you have further more questions that are related to MBR repair, follow and find answers here:
1. How can I fix a corrupted MBR partition table?
When the MBR table is corrupted on your computer, you could come up with a computer unbootable issue. Here are the steps for you to try:
- Boot PC from a bootable USB or installation disk.
- Enter Command Prompt and type the following command lines one by one:
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /scanOs
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
2. Does Windows 11 support GPT or MBR?
Yes, Windows 11 supports both GPT and MBR disk partition schemes. However, note that if you tend to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11, the OS disk must be converted to GPT partition style. The only reason is that Windows 11 requires GPT disk, UEFI with Secure Boot Mode enabled for a successful update.
3. Can I use MBR on Windows 11?
Yes, and you can MBR as a second data disk on Windows 11. But if you tend to use MBR as the OS disk type, the answer would be no. The reason is that Windows 11 requires GPT disk partition style for a smooth OS load and boot up.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Cedric Grantham is a senior editor and data recovery specialist of EaseUS. He mainly writes articles and how-to tips about data recovery on PC and Mac. He has handled 10,000+ data recovery cases and is good at data recovery of NTFS, FAT (FAT32 and ExFAT) file systems, and RAID structure reorganization.
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More