|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|EaseUS Partition Master||Step 1: Launch EaseUS Partition Master, right-click the partition you intend to format and choose "Format"...Format 128GB USB to FAT32|
|PowerShell||Step 1: Click the keyboard shortcut Windows + X，and choose Windows PowerShell(Admin)...Format USB to FAT32|
How to format 128GB USB to FAT32?
"Hi all, I have a 128GB Corsair flash voyager GT USB 3.0 flash drive. It came formatted as NTFS. Recently, I wanted to format it to FAT32 in order to use it in my other electrical goods like My Xbox and my TV. But when I plugged the flash drive into my computer and tried to format the USB to FAT32, it would not let me do it. I am just wondering why it happened and how can I successfully format my 128GB USB flash drive to FAT32. If you have any suggestions, please help!"
Why Do You Want to Format 128GB USB to FAT32?
FAT32 is a file system used by Windows PC, USB flash drive, microSD card, pen drive, memory sticks, and other devices.
1. FAT32 is widely compatible with various operating systems. (smartphones, tablets, computers, digital cameras, game consoles, surveillance cameras, etc.) Compatibility is the main reason for using the FAT32 file system on USB or SD cards.
2.NTFS and other file systems do not support NAS devices.
3. Most game consoles like PSP, PS3, PS4, Xbox only support disks or USB drives with the FAT32 file system.
Why Can't You Format USB to FAT32 in Windows
Usually, if you want to format a USB flash drive in Windows, you just need to right-click it and choose Format option in the menu. And then, choose the file system you want in the drop-down list. But sometimes things can go wrong when you are trying to format 64GB USB flash drive or format 128GB USB flash drive to FAT32. You may find that it just doesn't give you the option for the FAT32 file system. What leads to the error? The reason is that by default, the Windows File Explorer, Diskpart, and Disk Management will format USB flash drives below 32GB as FAT32 and USB flash drives that are above 32GB as exFAT or NTFS.
Windows do not support formatting USB flash drive larger than 32GB as the FAT32. You may meet the following errors when your USB is above 32GB. Share this article to let others know about this issue.
1. In File Explorer, you can not find FAT32 format function.
2. If you format 128GB flash drive via Diskpart, you will get the error：The volume size is too big.
3. Windows Disk Management does not allow formatting FAT32 larger than 32GB. No FAT32 option on the format window.
And as a result, you cannot format a USB flash drive larger than 32GB in Windows via these three common formatting tools. But fortunately, there is a third-party FAT32 format tool and a built-in Windows tool that can help.
Two Successful Solutions to Format 128GB USB to FAT32
Aside from the methods mentioned earlier, the following methods can help you learn how to format a 128GB flash drive to FAT32.
- You’d better back up your necessary data because formatting will erase all data on the partition.
EaseUS Partition Master is a partition software with flexible and advanced partition formatting feature. It can perfectly bypass the format limitation of Windows disk management tool and help you format yoiur 128GB USB flash drive to FAT32 easily without any obstacles. Download and install the 100% secure software on your computer, Connect your storage device to your computer, and then follow the steps below to get things done. We also provide format USB to FAT32 in Windows that less than 32GB.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master, right-click the partition you intend to format and choose "Format".
Step 2. In the new window, enter the Partition label, choose the FAT32/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 file system, and set the cluster size according to your needs, then click "OK".
Step 3. Then you will see a warning window, click "Yes" in it to continue.
Step 4. Click the "Execute 1 Task(s)" button in the top-left corner to review the changes, then click "Apply" to start formatting the partition to FAT32/EXT2/EXT3/EXT4.
Windows PowerShell is a command-line shell and scripting language.
- 1. This program may take a few hours to format a 128GB flash drive to FAT32. If you prefer a quick format, you have better format 128GB flash drive with EaseUS Partition Master.
2. The formatting process may fail.
1. Click the keyboard shortcut Windows + X，and choose Windows PowerShell(Admin)
2. After opening the PowerShell windows, type format /FS:FAT32 x:
Video Tutorial: Format to FAT32 in 4 Ways
This video records 4 ways to format USB to FAT32.
- 01:30 Method 1. Format the drive in File Explorer
- 02:13 Method 2. Format the drive in Disk Management
- 02:46 Method 3. Format the drive using DiskPart
- 03:49 Apply EaseUS Partition Master to Format Drive
If you search solutions on "how to format a USB to FAT32", the File Explorer, Diskpart, and Disk Management provide the easy way in formatting. But about formatting a 128GB flash drive to FAT32, EaseUS Partition Master is the highly-recommend software.
FAQ about Formatting 128GB USB Flash Drive
1. Can You Format a 128GB Flash Drive to FAT32?
The File Explorer, Diskpart, and Disk Management only support flash drive that partition is less than 32GB. You can use a professional and straightforward tool - EaseUS Partition Master to complete the formatting process.
2. How Do I Format a Large USB to FAT32?
- Right-click your USB and then choose Format.
- In the pop window, select the file system as FAT32, then click OK.
- Click the Execute Operation button.
3. What Is the Powerful FAT32 Format Tool?
- EaseUS Partition Master.
- Disk Management.
- File Explorer.
- Disk Command.
4. Can I Format 64GB Flash Drive to FAT32?
Due to FAT32 limitation, you cannot directly format 64GB flash drive to FAT32. We recommend using a third-party formatting tool - EaseUS Partition Master.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Sherly joined EaseUS in 2022 and she has always loved writing articles and enjoys the fun they bring. She receives professional training here, focusing on product performance and other relative knowledge. She has written over 200 articles to help people overcome computing issues.
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More