- 01 UEFI VS BIOS: What is difference between BIOS and UEFI
- 02 How to Tell If Windows Is Using UEFI or Legacy
- 03 How to Convert MBR to GPT for Windows 11
- 04 Tips to Enable or Disable UEFI Mode
- 05 Troubleshooting 1: Remove UEFI NTFS Partition (EFI Partition)
- 06 Troubleshooting 2: Fix UEFI Boot on Windows 11/10
- 07 Troubleshooting 3: Repair UEFI Bootloader for Windows 11
- 08 Troubleshooting 4: Create UEFI Bootable USB
- 09 Bonus Tip: Clone UEFI Disk to SSD without Boot Issue
How to do Windows 11/10 boot repair? What are the most useful ways? Read this tutorial and see how to troubleshoot.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Use Startup Repair||You can fix most Windows 11/10 UEFI boot problems using the Startup Repair tool. Boot Up Windows...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Use Command Prompt||If you are unable to perform a startup repair, then you can try using Windows 11/10 installation...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Change BIOS Settings||Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 were designed to install on the UEFI BIOS using the EFI bootloader and GPT...Full steps|
|Fix4. Add Disk Driver||Manually installing and adding the driver to the restored Windows image can repair UEFI boot...Full steps|
|Fix 5. Change the SATA Mode||You can change different SATA modes in different cases for Windows 11/10 boot repair...Full steps|
Sometimes, Windows 11/10 fails to boot because there is a problem with the master boot record. In these cases, the master boot record needs to be repaired to restart and run. When you want to do Windows 11/10 startup repair, you can use the Windows 11/10 recovery environment includes an automatic option to accomplish this task. If this does not work, you can do it manually with Diskpart command prompt and other effective solutions. In this article, you'll find step-by-step methods to guide you to fix computer UEFI boot errors in Windows 11/10/8/7. Read on to find out how. Before you start, you can clone your boot drive to another drive with EaseUS Partition Master. Then, follow these steps to fix Windows 11/10 boot repair.
- EaseUS Partition Master -
Your Smart Windows 11 Update Disk Manager
You may also read the article below:
This post will go over six helpful techniques that users can utilize Windows 10 boot repair to resolve starting issues.
Method 1. Use Startup Repair for Windows 11/10 Boot Repair
Windows provides some built-in boot repair tools. Windows Automatic Repair is a for users to apply and try to fix some normal errors on Windows PC. And you may also try this method to repair Windows 11, 10, 8 or 7 UEFI/EFI boot error:
1. Boot Up Windows from Installation Media
Step 1. Insert Windows 11/10/8/7 installation disk or USB to your PC.
Step 2. Restart PC and boot from the disk or USB.
2. Enable Automatic Repair Option
Step 1. Click "Repair your computer" at the Install now screen.
Step 2. Click "Troubleshoot" at choosing an option screen > click "Automatic repair".
Step 3. Choose an account from the list to continue at the Automatic Repair screen and wait for the process to finish.
When the process completes, you can restart your PC, and then you should be able to use your computer without any problems again. This way has helped a lot of users facing the UEFI boot error; share this article to help more people.
Method 2. Use Diskpart to Fix UEFI Boot Error in Windows 11/10
If you are a Windows 11/10 or 8 user and you prefer free methods to fix UEFI boot error, you may follow below two solutions to solve this issue now:
1. Enter Command Prompt from Advanced Options
Step 1. Insert Windows 11/10/8/7 installation disk or installation USB into PC > boot from the disk or USB.
Step 2. Click "Repair your computer" or hit F8 at the install now screen.
Step 3. Click "Troubleshoot" in Advanced options, and click "Command Prompt".
2. Run Diskpart to Set Partition ID and Assign a Drive Letter
Step 1. Type below command and hit Enter each time:
- list disk
- sel disk 0
Step 2. When the message "Disk 0 is now the selected disk" shows up, type list vol and hit Enter.
Diskpart will now show the full list of volumes on your PC, find UEFI volume from the list: UEFI partition will be on Volume 2.
Step 3. Type below command and hit Enter each time:
- sel vol 2
- set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
- Or SET ID=ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7
Step 4. Assign the drive letter by typing below command and click Enter:
- assign letter=G: (Note: G shall be a unique drive letter which cannot be already used.)
3. Repair the Boot Record
- Step 1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator, enter below command:
- cd /d G:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ (Note: G is the drive letter you signed to UEFI partition and remember to replace G with UEFI's partition letter)
- Enter exit when the process completes.
- Step 2. To repair the Boot Record, open CMD and enter below command line:
- bootrec /fixboot
- Enter exit when the repair process completes.
4. Rebuild the BCD Store
Quick steps for rebuilding BCD:
Step 1. Type each command line and hit Enter each time:
- ren BCD BCD.old
- bcdboot C:\Windows /1 en-us /s G: /f ALL (Note: c:\ is the drive where Windows 11/10/8.1/8 is installed on.)
Step 2. Type exit in Command Prompt when the process completes and then restart your PC.
Now UEFI boot is fixed, and Windows 11/10/8/7 can be boot up on your PC again.
Method 3. Change BIOS Settings
You need to select the boot mode according to the type of disk on your system. If you want to start an MBR system disk, you can select Legacy support instead of UEFI in boot mode. To start a GPT system disk, you need to select UEFI.
How to access BIOS: Common keys to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc, as well as key combinations like Ctrl + Alt + Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete, which are more common on older machines. You can enter the BIOS interface by holding down any of these keys while booting up on your computer.
Method 4. Add Disk Driver to Repair Windows 11/10 Boot
When you replace the RAID with a different machine or replace the original SATA or IDE disk with a newer NVMe SSD, you may encounter problems starting up. You can use the following Windows command line to add the driver to the restored Windows image manually.
Dism /Image:X: /Add-Driver /Driver:"y:\z.inf"
Note: X: is the disk character of the restored Windows boot partition, and in double-quotes is the location of the driver. Inf file.
Method 5. Change the SATA Mode for Windows 11/10 Startup Repair
After the older XP system restores, a blue screen or cycle start may occur, you can change to IDE mode to try to start.
If you run into boot problems after upgrading from an older HDD to a newer SSD, check to see if the BIOS is set to boot for AHCI. If you set it up for RAID mode, make sure the correct RAID driver is added to the cloned system.
Extended Reading: UEFI vs. BIOS: What's the Difference and How to Check
To Sum Up
Windows 11/10 boot repair is a rather complicated problem. There are different solutions for different causes and problems. The above approaches only apply to common UEFI boot issues. If none of them can repair UEFI boot error in Windows 10, you can contact our technical support team to get specialized services for system boot issues.
- 1. Unformat the drive
- 2. Repair the RAID, RAW disk or operating system
- 3. Recover lost partition (the one that cannot be recovered by software)
If you don't want to risk losing or overwriting your important data during the fixes for Windows 11/10 boot repair, you can recover data from a PC/laptop hard drive that won't boot with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, a renowned data recovery tool on the market.
To configure and optimize disk performance, you can also turn to EaseUS Partition Master for help.
Windows 11/10 Boot Repair FAQs
The following four questions are highly relevant to UEFI boot repair. Check the answers to get you through.
1. How do you repair Windows 11/10 if it does not boot?
2. How do I repair Windows 11/10?
To repair Windows 11/10 boot, you can use the Startup Repair tool. To access Windows 11/10 recovery environment, turn your computer on and off three times. While booting, ensure you turn off the computer when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode. Click "Advanced options" when the recovery screen appears. Then, choose "Startup Repair" and follow the on-screen institutions to do it.
3. How can I repair the Windows 11/10 UEFI bootloader?
To fix Windows 11/10 UEFI boot problem:
- Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart
- Boot from the media
- Select Repair Your Computer
- Select "Troubleshoot" in "Advanced Options"
- Choose Command Prompt from the menu and use the dispart command lines: Type and run the command: diskpart. Type and run the command: sel disk 0. Type and run the command: list vol
4. How do I fix a boot startup problem?
There are many effective solutions to fix Windows 11/10 startup issue and repair your EFI Bootloader. You can:
- Use the Startup Repair tool
- Use Diskpart in Command Prompt
- Fix BCD errors
- Add startup item
- Change BIOS settings
- Add disk driver
- Change SATA mode
- Fix MBR
- Restore and repair system partitions
- more fixes...
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
Cici/Sep 26, 2023
Brithny/Oct 18, 2023
Tracy King/Oct 10, 2023
Tracy King/Sep 25, 2023