How can I repair corrupted JPEG files after formatting?
"A few days ago, I formatted my WD external hard drive without a backup. Later, I used a free data recovery tool to restore my important files, including some JPEG photos. Although the photos were recovered, they were corrupted. And I couldn't open or view any of them. Can I repair damaged JPEG files? How?"
JPEG is a widely used method of lossy compression for digital images, and its the most common image format used by digital cameras and other photographic image capture devices. However, JPEG and JPG files corruption is a pervasive problem for many users, which makes the files inaccessible. JPEG files corruption may take place due to various reasons like listed below.
- Broken or corrupted header of the JPEG file
- Corruption in JPEG image data, like the half grey image
- Viruses or malware attack
- The storage device has bad sectors, or the file system has corrupted
Apart from the above causes, another case for JPEG corruption is similar to that described in the scenario. You may have accidentally deleted photos or formatted hard drives or memory cards. Even though you have recovered the deleted JPEG files, you can't preview the files, as it has been damaged or corrupted. In these situations, don't worry. There are several ways you can use to repair corrupted JPEG files and make them accessible and viewable. Read guides in-depth.
How to Repair Corrupted JPEG/JPG Files with JPEG Repair Tool
In order to repair damaged JPEG files, you can opt for any of the following solutions.
1. Recover Corrupted JPEG from a Backup
When the JPEG or JPG files are damaged, the quickest way to repair photos would be restoring from a backup. So you'd better get into the habit of backing up important files regularly in your daily work or life. In this way, if the files are lost or damaged, you can easily recover from the backup file.
You can use a professional schedule backup software for automatic backup if you don't want to do it manually.
2. Use Another Picture Viewer or Convert JPEG to Another Format
If you don't have an available backup, then you can repair corrupt JPEG files by opening the files in different picture viewers or trying to save them in a different format.
When you attempt to open a photo on your Windows 7/8/10, you may get an error message saying that the photo cannot be opened or viewed. The cause of this problem may be that you don't have a program on your computer to open the JPEG file format. So, you can install a Windows photos viewer to open the JPEG files.
Or another workaround is to convert JPEG to another file format by simply renaming to or turning to a free image converter to change the file extension.
3. Repair Corrupted JPEG Files Using a Professional JPEG Repair Tool
If none of the above methods help you accomplish JPEG repair, you still have a chance to fix corrupted JPEG files with a professional JPEG repair software. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is an efficient utility to repair and restore lost/existing damaged JPEG and JPG files under all corruption scenarios. It is compatible with Microsoft Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003.
- Repair corrupt and damaged JPEG or JPG files
- Fix multiple broken JPEG files at the same time
- Recover thumbnails of severely damaged JPEG files
- Repair damaged JPEG files from PC, laptop, external hard drive, SD card, USB flash drive, etc.
- Preview the repaired JPEG files after the scan
- Save the repaired JPG photos at any location as you need
Step 1. Launch EaseUS data recovery software. Select a hard drive that contains broken photos files and click "Scan".
Step 2. Select "Pictures" to find your corrupted phots that can be in a variety of formats, JPEG, JPG, PNG, BMP, and more. Or, you can click "Search files or folders" in the upper right corner to search for files.
Step 3. Double-click on a damaged picture to repair and preview the file. Then, click "Recover" to save images to a different location.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard software is not only good at the picture and video repair, but also influential in data recovery for accidental deletion, storage device formatting, partition loss, virus attack, OS crash, hard disk damage, and more. More importantly, the free data recovery software of EaseUS allows you to repair corrupt JPEG files free if your photos' size is less than 2GB.
4. Run CHKDSK to Fix Hard Disk Drive to Repair Corrupted JPEG Files
In addition to the photo itself being corrupted, if your hard drive has bad sectors or its file system has corrupted, you can't access the photos saved on it either. In this case, you can use CHKDSK utility to fix the affected disk.
Step 1. Click the Search box, type CMD. Right-click the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
Step 2. Type CHKDSK E: /f /r /x, hit the Enter. Here you can replace E with your drive letter.
After the fix, you may view your JPEG photos if the damage is caused by a bad sector or corrupted file system. If not, move to the following solutions.
How to Repair Corrupted JPEG Files Online
When using a desktop JPEG repair tool is not an option, you can try an online photo recovery product. OfficeRecovery (https://online.officerecovery.com/pixrecovery/) is a popular JPEG repair online tool to help repair corrupted JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG or RAW images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .tiff, .bmp, .png) that suddenly become unusable and can't be opened.
To fix damaged JPEG files with OfficeRecovery online photo repair, simply upload the image to the cloud recovery service using repair photo form on the product page.
This JPEG repair online tool has the following features:
- Support JPEG, PNG and RAW format supported for these systems: Canon, Epson, Fuji, Hasselblad, Kodak, Leica, Mamiya, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Ricoh, Sony
- Repair JPEG file with original dimensions and color depth
- Repair JPEG color palette
- Image formats supported: BMP, GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG, TIFF
- Easy to use, no special user skills required
It is important to note that:
1. Although free demo results of repaired photos are available for download when using this online JPEG file repair tool. You need to purchase the full recovery for $9.99 for each file. Or purchase 2-Day Pass, 30 jobs for the US $59 on 30 jobs for 48 hours, and download the full results immediately.
2. Repairing JPEG files with online tools, you need to pay special attention to data security and computer security issues, to prevent personal privacy disclosure or virus infection.
To Sum Up
JPEG repairing is easy once you choose proper JPEG repair software. To fix corrupted photos, videos, and documents, you can select and trust EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Compared with the JPEG repair online tool, EaseUS photo repair program has the following merits:
- Once activated, you can fix unlimited corrupt JPEG files without having to pay for each picture
- Cheaper, safer, and more trustworthy
- Instant live chat and email support within 24 hours help to solve any problems during image repair timely
How to Repair Corrupted JPEG Files with JPEG Repair Tool FAQs
The following are the highly relevant questions about JPEG repair or JPEG repair tool. You can check the brief explanations if you also have any of these problems.
How do I fix corrupted JPEG files?
You can repair corrupted JPEG by following simple steps:
1. Download, install and launch the EaseUS JPEG repair software.
2. Connect the storage device which contains corrupt JPEG files, which can be a removable disk or a local drive.
3. Click Scan to scan all over the selected drive to find lost and corrupted files as many as possible. You can perform both a quick scan or a deep scan.
4. Wait for the scan to complete. Then, you can preview the files. If the files are corrupted, EaseUS data recovery tool will automatically repair the damaged JPEG files.
5. Once repairing is done, click on Recover to save the repaired JPEG files at your desired location.
How do you fix a JPEG header?
To fix JPEG image header, you can try ways below:
1. Rename the JPEG file: It is one of the simplest methods to repair corrupt JPEG image files.
2. Use another picture viewer or convert the JPEG file to another format.
3. Try the CHKSDSK command if you encounter "Invalid Image File Header" due to bad sectors on your hard drive or SD card.
4. Use a JPEG repair tool to repair corrupted JPEG files.
How can I recover corrupted JPEG files online?
To recover corrupt JPEG files online, you can try some online JPEG repair products, like the one mentioned in this article. The advantage of using an online image file repair tool is that you don't need to download it, and it won't take up space on your computer. On the downside, these online JPEG file repair tools charge by the number of images and actually be more expensive than desktop software.
How do I recover a JPEG file?
Your JPG files may be lost by unintentional deletion, hard drive formatting, or other reasons. If you want to recover deleted or lost JPG files, use EaseUS file recovery program to restore your photos easily.
1. Run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Choose the exact file location and then click the "Scan" button to continue.
2. Wait for the scan to completes. After the process, you can quickly find JPG files by using the "Filter" feature.
3. Now, preview and click the "Recover" button to save the restored JPG files to another location rather than the original one. Then, click "OK" to finish the recovery.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and loves various electronic products.
How to Recover Deleted Sticky Notes in Windows 10/8/7
Tracy King/Feb 22, 2023
How to Recover Deleted/Overwritten/Unsaved CSV Files [Solved]
Jean/Feb 22, 2023
Google Drive Files Not Showing Up on PC/Phone/Mac [Fixed]
Brithny/Feb 22, 2023
Full and Free Solutions for CHK File Recovery
Tracy King/Feb 22, 2023