Many users would like to mirror their hard drives to a larger disk when there is not enough storage. Mirroring a hard drive to SSD can protect your data from loss and upgrade and speed up your computer. This article from EaseUS will describe how to mirror hard drive to SSD on Windows 11. Hurry up and learn.
Here is what you need to prepare to mirror HDD to SSD on your computer:
|🧰Tools You Will Use||EaseUS Disk Copy|
Click the button to download this powerful cloning software
Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) and Solid State Drives (SSDs) are alike in their physical composition, but they store information quite differently. There are merits and demerits to using each drive and selecting the right type for you depend on the activities you engage your computer.
What is HDD?
HDDs rely on platters to read and write information. It comprises one or more magnetic tender platters, a selector arm with a read/write head for each platter, and a rollerblade to move the arm and turn the platters.
HDD platters spin at a pre-set speed of 4200 rpm to 7200 rpm, determining their read/write rates. The hard drive will read and write data faster if it has a higher pre-set speed. HDDs are tested technologies and are inexpensive compared to SSDs for an equal amount of storage.
What is SSD?
SSDs utilize flash memory to give greater durability and performance. They use lower energy and have no moving parts. You can describe them as large USB drives because they utilize similar base technology.
SSDs store data in a block which must be refreshed whenever any part of the data is updated. The data kept in the old block is transferred and rewritten with the changes to a new block while the old block is erased. SSDs are preferable to HDDs due to the following advantages:
- High reading and writing speed: SSDs deliver an overwhelming read and write speed of 3400/3000MB/s.
- More durable than HDD: SSDs have a small size that protects your data during movements compared to HDDs which possess lots of moving small parts that make it easy for things to malfunction and lose important data.
- Power and energy-efficient: SSDs perform superiorly and utilize less energy, thereby enabling your computer to operate cooler and more smoothly.
- More practical size factors: SSDs are lesser sized compared to HDDs and can withstand dropping and movement.
Cloning your HDD to SSD is done for different reasons, but the benefit of cloning your internal hard drive is similar. Two major advantages include data protection and upgrading your hard drive to a proficient one.
To carry out a hard drive clone to SSD, you'll need to carry out the following to have smooth and successful cloning:
- 1. Backup and erase all data on the SSD: If the target SSD is not a new one, backing up the data on your SSD gives room for data recovery. Because all the data on the target device will be erased during cloning, erasing the SSD is a must-be process to create enough space to receive the clone.
- 2. Disconnect all connected external peripheral devices: A desktop computer supports users to connect more than one hard drive. To correctly clone files from HDD to SSD, you'll need to disconnect external devices such as USB storage devices, printers, etc.
- 3. Download and install disk clone software: Disk cloning software allows for a quick and smooth cloning operation. Windows does not have a built-in tool; you can apply a third-party disk clone tool.
- 4. USB-to-SATA adapter: You must use a USB-to-SATA adapter to connect the SSD if you are using a laptop because it only has a hard drive slot.
If you like this post, you can share it on your social platforms to help more people.
Occasionally, computer users clone hard drives whenever they want to upgrade to a new hard disk. The cloning can be done on a Microsoft operating system where you can copy a hard drive file-by-file in certain basic ways similar to copy and paste.
The problem with this process is that it doesn't present a reliable and efficient means to clone the total contents of a hard drive to another. To safely and effectively clone your device's hard drive to another, you'll need a third-party disk cloning software like EaseUS Disk Copy, a practical tool for mirroring SSD drives.
EaseUS Disk Copy is an effective and stable clone software and provides security for your files during the cloning process. It can help you mirror a hard drive in Windows 10. In addition, it lets you transfer data from one SD card to another. The software also functions with some important features:
EaseUS Disk Copy
- Easy operation: You can transfer your hard drive's data, system files, and application in quick and simple steps.
- Efficient and Effective: It smoothly replaces an HDD with an SSD and supports cloning from MBR to GPT and GPT to MBR.
- Works well on all brands: EaseUS Disk Copy is enabled to migrate or clone different brands of HDD and SSD.
- Sector-by-sector clone: It supports cloning a hard drive with bad sectors.
- Customizable: Users can customize the disk layout according to their needs.
How to Mirror HDD to SSD on Windows 11 with EaseUS Disk Copy
To mirror HDD to SSD using the EaseUS Disk Copy, first, you'll need to activate the tool by downloading and installing it on your PC. Once the device is successfully installed, launch it and follow the below steps:
Step 1: In "Disk Mode", select the HDD that you want to clone.
Step 2: Select the SSD as your destination.
A warning message tells you that the data on the SSD will be erased. Click "OK" to continue if you do not have important data on the destination disk.
Step 3: Edit the disk layout and then click “Proceed” to continue.
As the destination is an SSD, you are suggested to tick "Check the option if the target is SSD".
Step 4: Wait for the process to complete.
That is all about how to mirror hard drive to SSD. Mirroring HDD to SSD is the best means to upgrade an old disk and prevent data loss due to system crashes, hard drive failure, or sudden deletion. From all indications, SSDs are more efficient than HDDs, and they give users a better experience while working on their PCs.
If you need to clone your hard drive without glitches or data loss successfully, it's expected you employ the use of a high-performance third-party tool, and the EaseUS Disk Copy is a great choice to consider for SSD mirroring and copying Windows 11 to a new hard drive.
1. What does mirroring a hard drive do?
Disk mirroring is used to safeguard a computer system from data loss and other possible losses brought on by disk failures. This approach duplicates the data by writing it to two or more identical hard disks linked to a single disk controller device.
2. Can you mirror hard drive to SSD?
Yes, you can mirror a hard drive to SSD. But you have to use third-party cloning software like EaseUS Disk Copy to help help you. Such a tool can help you clone a hard drive to another without any data loss.
3. How long does it take to mirror a hard drive?
To mirror a hard drive means cloning a hard drive to some degree. It is a frequently asked question how long it takes to copy a hard drive. The amount of data you need to move, the pace at which the cloning application operates, the read and write speeds, the computer system, the hard drive, etc., all play a role. As a result, the typical wait time would range from 10 mins to 1 hour.
Was This Page Helpful?
EaseUS Disk Copy
- Clone an old disk to a new one
- Clone a small disk to a large one
- Clone HDD to SSD
How to Clone HDD to SSD on Windows 10/8/7