The process of cloning an M.2 SSD is not too different from cloning a regular SSD. The main difference is the interface that M.2 SSDs use. M.2 is the latest storage interface and is becoming more popular with every passing day. So, if you want to upgrade your storage device or clone it for data backup, you will need an M.2 SSD clone software.
If you search for M.2 SSD Cloner on the browser, you'll find many SSD cloning docking stations available on the result pages. They are a kind of hardware designed for reading and writing on hard disks. And it can be used to clone SSD, too.
However, there are some potential risks when you clone M.2 SSD with a docking station:
- First, not all docking stations support M.2 NVMe clone, so you might have to give up some features when cloning.
- Secondly, the price of a good-quality docking station is pretty high, and it might not be affordable for everyone. One of the higher-selling products hit $149.99.
- Thirdly, if you're not careful enough, there is a possibility that you might damage your M.2 SSD during the process. So, you must back up data in M.2 SSD before cloning.
- Lastly, the functionality of a docking station is single and limited. And it is easy to lose or damage by other factors. You cannot expect too much from it.
The M.2 SSD cloning software is also an option to copy data on an Old M.2 SSD to a new M.2 SSD. Compared with the SSD cloning docking station, it has the following advantages for you to choose it.
- The first advantage is that it offers more features than a clone docking station. Apart from the primary cloning feature, M.2 SSD clone software allows you to resize partitions, merge, format partitions, convert MBR to GPT, etc.
- Secondly, M.2 SSD clone software is more reliable and secure than a docking station. The software is less likely to cause any physical damage to your M.2 SSD during the cloning process.
- Thirdly, the price of M.2 SSD clone software is much lower than that of a clone docking station. You can even find some free M.2 SSD cloners in the market. And the price of a paid M.2 SSD clone software is around $30 to $50, which is much more affordable than a clone docking station.
- Finally, M.2 SSD clone software is easy to use and requires no technical skills. You can easily clone your M.2 SSD with just a few clicks.
Therefore, we recommend using an M.2 SSD clone software instead of a clone docking station.
Which M.2 SSD clone software should you choose? Below are some quick criteria for the ideal selection of the best M.2 SSD cloning software:
- An excellent SSD cloning software will make it easier to clone M.2 SSD as a backup and restore it when necessary.
- It will copy all applications and programs on your operating system, so you can continue working on the same computer with the new SSD.
- The security of your data is always the priority. A good M.2 SSD cloner will never damage or delete files during the cloning process.
- The last but not least criterion is that the M.2 SSD clone software should have an intuitive interface and be easy to use, even for beginners.
Based on the criteria mentioned above, the EaseUS Todo Backup Home is the best M.2 SSD clone software in terms of reliability, security, and user-friendliness.
Main Features of EaseUS Todo Backup Home:
- User-friendly interface: The interface of EaseUS Todo Backup Home is very intuitive and straightforward. You can easily clone your hard drive with just a few clicks. All features are well organized, and you can find what you need in a short time.
- Support all kinds of M.2 SSDs: EaseUS Todo Backup Home supports all M.2 SSDs, including SATA-based M.2 SSDs and NVMe-based M.2 SSDs.
- Clone larger HDD to smaller SSD: If you want to clone a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, EaseUS Todo Backup Home can help you resize partitions on the destination disk and clone only used space to the SSD.
- Schedule backup: EaseUS Todo Backup Home allows you to schedule automatic backups. You can set it up to clone your M.2 SSD daily, weekly, or monthly according to your needs.
- Secured cloning process: EaseUS Todo Backup Home will never damage or delete files during the cloning process. And it won't leak any data while cloning.
- Migrate OS to a new hard drive: If you want to migrate your current OS to a new hard drive, EaseUS Todo Backup Home can help you clone your system disk and make it bootable on the destination disk.
- File/System/Disk/Mail backup and restore: It supports four types of resource data backup and restore, including files, systems, disks, and Outlook emails.
- Various types of backup: EaseUS Todo Backup Home can perform a full backup, differential backup, and incremental backup according to your individual needs.
- WinPE bootable disk: It allows users to create an emergency USB disk or CD/DVD, which is indispensable when the Windows system fails to boot.
Before cloning an M.2 SSD, you need to make some preparations to make the process smooth. It usually takes three to five minutes to read the original data. The process is applied to cloning M.2 to M.2, M.2 to NVMe M.e, NVMe M.2 to M.2, and cloning SSD to M.2.
- Prepare a new M.2 SSD and install it correctly on your PC/laptop.
- Back up data on new SSD because cloning will erase all data on it.
- Initialize the SSD to guarantee a smooth process.
Follow the step-by-step guide to clone M.2 SSD：
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo Backup and click "Tools" at the top right corner, you can see clone and other utilities.
Step 2. Choose the source disk or partition as well as the target disk. (Make sure the space of the target disk is larger than that of the source disk or partition.)
Step 3. The clone would permanently wipe out all data on the target disk/partition. If you have backup your data in advance, just click "Continue."
Step 4. Click "Proceed" to start cloning.
You may also be interested
M.2 SSD cloning is not a difficult task if you have the right tool. The EaseUS Todo Backup Home is the best M.2 SSD clone software that can help you clone M.2 SSD with ease. With its user-friendly interface and advanced features, you can easily clone your M.2 SSD and make it bootable in just a few clicks.
Its wide compatibility and versatility make it the best choice for cloning M.2 SSD. If you have any questions about cloning M.2 SSD or need any other help, please feel free to contact us. Our technical support team will always be here to help you out.
1. Can I clone M.2 SSD?
Yes, of course. Cloning an M.2 SSD is easy if you have the right tool. The EaseUS Todo Backup Home is the best M.2 SSD clone software that can help you clone M.2 SSD with ease. Under the clone feature, just choose the source disk and the target disk, and click Process to clone SSD.
2. Do SSD drives come with cloning software?
No, SSD drives don't come with cloning software. You need to download third-party software to clone SSD.
3. Can you clone OS from SSD to M.2?
You can clone your OS from SSD to M.2 SSD. While choosing the source disk, make sure you select the disk that has the operating system installed.
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Larissa
Larissa has rich experience in writing technical articles. After joining EaseUS, she frantically learned about data recovery, disk partitioning, data backup, and other related knowledge. Now she is able to master the relevant content proficiently and write effective step-by-step guides on computer issues.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!