Upgrade 32 Bit to 64 Bit in Windows 10 Without Losing Data
Microsoft gives you the 32-bit version of Windows 10 if you upgrade from the 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1. But you can switch to the 64-bit version. Why upgrade windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit?
The reason is that the 32-bit version is limited to 4GB of RAM, which is a small amount. Especially when these days PCs usually have 8GB or more. If you upgrade your computer to 64 bit, you'll be able to run more applications simultaneously. Other applications like Google Chrome will be able to handle more open tabs, and you will be able to run more memory-intensive applications, such as AutoCAD, Photoshop, and video editing programs, etc.
However, during the period of changing to 64 bit, most people complain that their files got lost. Follow the three steps below to change Windows from 32 bit to 64 bit without losing data!
You can only install the Windows 64-bit on compatible hardware, that is to say, you have to make sure if your computer has a 64-bit processor. Here we only provide the easiest way for you to check your system type:
- Open the "Start menu".
- Search for "System Information".
- Press "Enter".
- Look for "System Type".
Then, you will see one of the following system types:
- 1. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor: Your CPU supports 64-bit and you have already installed the 64-bit version of Windows 10. So you don't need to upgrade.
- 2. 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor: Your CPU supports 64-bit, but you have installed the 32-bit version of Windows.
- 3. 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor: Your CPU supports 32-bit and you have installed the 32-bit version of Windows.
If you see the second type, then your computer can run a 64-bit version of Windows. If you see the third one, it means you can't install another architecture of the operating system because your CPU doesn't support it.
To avoid data loss, you'd better make a full backup of your PC. While making a full backup of the computer can be time-consuming, we recommend you try a data backup utility - EaseUS Todo Backup, to finish this job quickly and effectively. This software enables you to make a full backup of your computer in one-click. It also helps you make backup schedules.
Download EaseUS Todo Backup and quickly making a backup of your important files.
Step 1: Open EaseUS Todo Backup and select "File" as the backup mode.
Step 2: Select the files that you want to back up. You can quickly locate the desired files, folders or directories under the "User Defined" mode or "File Type" mode.
Step 3: Next, click the Browse area to select a destination to save your backup file. EaseUS Todo Backup allows for a variety of backup locations that are available to you, including an internal and external storage drive, a cloud drive or a NAS drive. Among all the backup options, we recommend you the most secure and convenient to reach location - EaseUS Cloud.
You can directly login the cloud drive with your account and password. If it's the first time you use the cloud drive, use your email to sign up.
Step 4: Click "Proceed" to execute your operation.
- If you want to keep all the apps or programs, it is a good idea to move/transfer programs to an external hard drive with EaseUS Todo PCTrans. This PC transfer software moves data, applications, and accounts from one computer to another in Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. You can directly run programs from the external device without any difficulty. If you don't have an external hard drive, you can also use a USB with enough free space.
You'll need to perform a clean install to get to the 64-bit version of Windows 10 from the 32-bit one, for there's no direct upgrade path.
First, be sure to check that your current 32-bit version of Windows 10 is activated under Settings > Update & security > Activation.
Step 1. Create the installation media
1. Go to Microsoft's Windows 10 download page. Click the Download tool now button and save the Media Creation Tool on your desktop.
2. Connect a USB drive with at least 4GB of available space.
3. Double-click the MediaCrationTool.exe file.
4. Click the "Accept" to agree on the terms.
5. Select the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC option. Click Next.
6. Uncheck the "Use the recommended options for this PC" option.
7. Make sure to select your language, edition, and, more importantly, the architecture, which in this case is 64-bit (x64). Click Next.
8. Select the USB flash drive option. Click Next.
9. Select the removable drive from the list. Click Next.
Step 2. Windows 10 32 bit to 64-bit install
1. Restart your computer and boot from the installation media ( press f2 when you restart > select boot > boot from USB).
2. On "Windows Setup," click the Next button.
3. Click "Install Now", and click the "I don't have a product key" link to continue.
4. Select the edition of Windows 10 (if applicable). This selection must match the edition of the license activates.
5. Accept the license terms and continue.
6. Click the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option.
7. Select and delete system partitions - usually: Drive 0 Partition 1 and Drive 0 Partition 2.
8. Click Next and follow the instructions to install Windows 10.
When you finished the installation, Windows 10 will automatically check in with Microsoft and activate itself. You'll now be running the 64-bit edition of Windows on your PC. And you need to continue with the on-screen directions to finish the out-of-box experience (OOBE) to create a new account, set your preferences, and choose your preferred privacy settings.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More