Table of Contents
About the Author
Reviews and Awards
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Boot Failures You May Encounter
There are several common situations that suggest a boot failure.
- The computer is stuck at the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen or the Automatic Repair loop
- You receive the error message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
- You see a blue screen of death showing, "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart"
- A black screen displays "Boot Device Not Found - Please install an operating system on your hard disk"
Many other situations or error messages imply you can't boot into Windows. Generally, to fix a computer that won't boot, you will need to try the features in advanced options to fix the issue, which may require the Windows installation media. In a word, it's not easy to fix boot-related problems. Even if you applied the solutions, you might fail to cope with the issue. That's why so many users choose to rescue the data on the computer directly or as the last resort.
What You Need: Download Bootable Data Recovery Software
How to recover data from a PC or laptop that won't boot? By creating a bootable USB, CD, or DVD packaged with a data recovery utility, you can boot the problematic computer from the bootable media and then use the data recovery software in the environment to recover all the files from the computer.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can help you create a bootable disk and resolve this issue.
With it, you can burn Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) installed on the USB, CD, or DVD, which allows enables you to start the computer and rescue the files.
Important Tips Before Using Bootable Data Recovery Software
- Prepare an empty storage device: a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or CD/DVD (CD/DVD recorder is needed)
- Prepare a healthy computer via which you can create the bootable disk
- You will need to change the boot sequence in BIOS to boot the computer from the bootable disk
- EaseUS bootable data recovery software won't work to retrieve your data if the PC hard drive is physically damaged
Ready? Let's see how to create a bootable USB/CD/DVD with EaseUS bootable data recovery software.
Step 1. Create a bootable disk
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, choose "Crashed PC Recovery" and click "Go to Recover".
Select an empty USB to create the bootable drive and click "Create".
Warning: When you create a bootable disk, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard will erase all data saved in the USB drive. Back up important data beforehand.
Step 2. Boot your computer from the bootable USB
Connect the bootable disk to the PC that won't boot and change your computer boot sequence in BIOS. For most users, it works well when they restart their computer and press F2 simultaneously to enter BIOS.
Set to boot the PC from "Removable Devices" (bootable USB disk) beyond Hard Drive. Press "F10" to save and exit.
Step 3. Recover data from a crashed system/PC
After booting from EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard bootable disk, select the drive you want to scan to find all your lost files. Preview and recover the files you need to a safe location.
How to Prepare Yourself for a Boot Issue
A boot failure is one of the most severe issues that may happen to a computer. Once it occurs, no matter how reluctant you are, it will never stop. In most of cases, it just appears unexpectedly and leaves you in anxiety. It's necessary to learn how to solve the problem. But more importantly, you should know how to prepare yourself for a potential boot related problem.
Create System Restore Points
Most of the boot issues happen due to system changes. A system restore point enables you to perform a system restore that will revert your computer to a working point when boot failure arises. To create a system restore point:
Step 1. Type "create a restore point" in the search box on the task bar.
Step 2. Click "Create a restore point" from the search result.
Step 3. Click "Create" under the "System Protection" tab to make a system restore point.
Step 4. Type a description for the restore point, and then select Create > OK.
Create a System Image
The Backup and Restore feature in Windows can help you create a system image, which is a copy of the Windows system drive(s). Besides, you can also add other partitions to back up together with the system drives. With the system image, you are incapable of restoring the computer which stops working.
Step 1. Prepare a large enough EXTERNAL hard drive and connect it to the computer.
Step 2. Type control panel in the Windows search bar and choose "Control Panel" shown in the result.
Step 3. Choose "Backup and Restore" and click "Create a system image".
Step 4. Check "On a hard disk" (you can change the backup location according to your needs) and click "Next".
Step 5. Select the partitions you can to include in the system image and click "Next".
Step 6. Follow the on-screen instructions to start creating a system image.
The next time your computer doesn't boot, you can quickly solve it by performing a system restore or system image recovery if other fixes don't work.
Solve Windows Boot Issues with Windows 10 Repair Services
If don't know how to fix the Windows boot failures, use Windows manual fixing services from EaseUS. Our professional technical team can help you solve any system startup errors, including system failure, system blue screen, system black screen, and so on.
EaseUS Windows Recovery ServicesClick here to contact our experts for a free evaluation
Consult with EaseUS data recovery experts for one-on-one manual recovery service. We could offer the following services after FREE diagnosis:
- Fix Windows boot issues, including BSOD
- Fix Windows error and configure Windows environment
- Restore the system when it fails to boot
- Optimize Windows computer to make it run quickly
The Bottom Line
When a PC or laptop fails to boot, the bootable data recovery software is helpful in retrieving the data stored on the computer hard drives. Besides, you can also create a bootable media with disk cloning software, which can also help you extract data from the computer.
Bootable Data Recovery Software FAQs
If you still have problems with bootable data recovery, read the questions and answers below to get additional help.
1. Can I recover data on a bootable USB?
You need to recover data on a bootable USB when it comes to a crashed computer. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can help you restore data with a bootable USB flash drive. Download this data recovery software and get back lost files now.
2. What are the 4 types of data recovery?
- Hard Drive Recovery
- Tape Recovery
- Optical Recovery
- Digital Recovery
3. Which tool is best for data recovery?
Top 5 hard drive recovery software:
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- Disk Drill Data Recovery
- Wise Data Recovery
- Ontrack Data Recovery Software...
4. How do I recover data from a bootable hard drive?
- Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, choose Crashed PC Recovery, and click Go to Recover.
- Select an empty USB to create the bootable drive and click Create.
- Connect the bootable disk to the PC that won't boot and change your computer boot sequence in BIOS.
- Set to boot the PC from Removable Devices.
- Booting from EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard bootable disk.
- Select the drive you want to scan to find all your lost files.
- Preview and recover the files you need to a safe location.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech lives easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. In her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Approved by Evan Galasso
Evan Galasso is a digital forensics and data recovery engineer with over 10 years of experience in the field. He presents opinions on the current state of storage media, reverse engineering of storage systems and firmware, and electro-mechanical systems of SSDs and HDDs.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More
Top 6 Best Data Recovery Services
Undo DiskPart Clean: Recover Data/Partition after DiskPart Clean
Btrfs vs EXT4, All You Need to Know About Btrfs and EXT4!
[Fixed] Google Chrome Not Downloading Files