- 01 HDD Not Initialized I/O Device Error
- 02 The Parameter Is Incorrect
- 03 External Hard Drive Freezes Computer
- 04 External Hard Drive Taking Long Time to Open
- 05 External Hard Drive Loading Forever
- 06 How to Fix a Corrupted External Hard Drive
- 07 Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Working
- 08 WD External Hard Drive Slow to Response
- 09 Seagate External Hard Drive Blinking
- Fix 1. How to Fix Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Working [Detectable But Inaccessible]
- Fix 2. Files on Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
- Fix 3. Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Showing Up in This PC and Disk Management
- Fix 4. Toshiba External Hard Drive Shows Up In Disk Management But Not in This PC
- Fix 5. Toshiba External Hard Drive Light Blinking But Not Working
- Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Working [Other Fixes]
Toshiba Hard Drive Not Working Overview
"Hi there, do you know how to make external hard drive show up in PC when it failed to be detected? I have 1TB Toshiba external hard drive with almost 500GB data saved on it. It suddenly disappeared from my PC but the light of the drive is still on. What's going on with my drive? Do know you how to fix this issue?"
External hard drive not showing up or detected is just one of the many situations that indicate your Toshiba external hard drive not working. To help you fix your problematic device quickly, you should specify your situation according to the steps below before applying the fixes for "Toshiba external hard drive not working".
Step 1. Connect your Toshiba hard disk to your computer using the Toshiba cable.
Step 2. Go to "This PC"> "Manage"> "Disk Management".
Then you will see yourself in one of the following cases:
- The Toshiba disk is showing up in both Disk Management and This PC but is inaccessible
- The external hard drive not showing full capacity.
- The Toshiba external hard drive is not showing in Disk Management or in This PC
- The Toshiba hard drive is showing up in Disk Management but not on This PC
- The Toshiba external hard drive light is blinking but not working
When your Toshiba hard drive is not working, you may find yourself in one of the situations listed above. Identify your situation and follow up to see the possible causes and the solutions to fix your Toshiba hard drive.
|Toshiba HDD Situations||Causes||Editor's Advice||Difficulty to Solve|
|MBR corruption, I/O device error, file system errors||You can recover data from your Toshiba external hard drive and format the device.||⭐⭐|
|Files and folders are hidden or accidentally deleted||It is better to show all the hidden files and folders on the Toshiba external hard drive.||⭐|
|Connection issues, outdated Toshiba external hard drive driver, physical damage on the disk||Reconnect your Toshiba HDD with a new cable or a healthy computer. Updating the drivers will also help.||⭐⭐⭐|
|Toshiba external hard drive driver issues, drive letter conflicts||You can update the driver or change the drive letter to fix this issue.||⭐⭐|
|Corrupted file systems, physical damage, or other issues||Check the power supply and update the driver. If nothing works, try data recovery services.||⭐⭐⭐⭐|
You may see your Toshiba external hard drive state is "Not Initialized" or "No Media" in Disk Management, your disk shows RAW file system, or the partition on it is lost (showing as unallocated space). All make your device inaccessible. To fix Toshiba external hard drive not working, you can:
Method 1. Recover Data from Toshiba External Hard Drive and Format It
If the partition on your Toshiba disk is RAW, don't worry. You can use the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover data from the inaccessible disk and then format the device to assign a new file system to it, which will make it usable again. If you want to know how to recover Toshiba external hard drive, you can download this software now, and we'll introduce the detailed tutorial later.
Check the following steps to perform RAW drive recovery with the EaseUS recovery tool:
Step 1. Use a correct USB cable to connect your external hard drive to your computer. Run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and you will see your external disk under External drives. This software supports all the popular external disk brands, including WD, Seagate, Toshiba, LaCie, SanDisk, Samsung, etc.
Select the external hard drive and then click the "Scan" button.
Step 2. As soon as the scan process starts, the software will find more and more lost and deleted data and display the data in the scan results. The recovered data will be nicely organized. You can quickly find the target files/folders by file type or search in the search box with exact file name.
Step 3. You can preview the files found by EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard's scanning algorithms. Then, select files and click "Recover". To avoid data overwriting, we recommend that you save the recovered data to a different drive than the original Seagate drive.
Remember to recommend EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to more Toshiba users!
To format your Toshiba hard disk:
Step 1. Open "This PC", right-click your RAW drive or RAW disk, and choose "Formatted".
Step 2. Set a file system (NTFS, FAT32, or exFAT) according to your needs and click "Start".
Step 3. In the Warning window, click "OK" to start formatting your storage medium.
Method 2. Recover Data from the Toshiba Disk and Create a Partition
You may see your Toshiba hard drive showing up as unallocated space because the partition is lost. In such a case, you can also use the EaseUS data recovery software to recover data from your Toshiba external hard drive and then create new partitions on it to make it usable. Since the way to perform data recovery has been detailed already, here we will show you how to create new partitions on your disk only.
Step 1. Right-click "This PC", choose "Manage"> "Disk Management".
Step 2. Right-click the unallocated space and choose "New Simple Volume".
Step 3. Follow the wizard to finish the remaining process.
Method 3. Send for EaseUS Data Recovery Services
If you are sure there is corruption on your Toshiba external hard drive or the disk is still not working after trying the methods above, you are recommended to send the Toshiba hard drive for data recovery services.
EaseUS Disk Repair and Recovery ServicesClick here to contact our experts for a free evaluation
Consult with EaseUS data recovery experts for one-on-one manual recovery service. We could offer the following services after a FREE diagnosis.
- Fix HDD, SSD, external hard drive, USB flash drive errors, and restore data from all RAID levels
- Recover lost partition that cannot be restored by data recovery software
- Fix disks that cannot be read or accessed because of bad sectors
- Fix disks that become GPT protected partitions
- Wipe data, unformat hard drive, Install/uninstall software or driver, etc.
If your Toshiba disk isn't showing any files, you can refer to the article about "pen drive not showing data" to make your files show up again.
You May Also Interest In:
If you have a similar issue on your hard drive, you may directly try the fixes below.
Are your hard drives, be it new or old, internal or external, not showing up in File Explorer or Disk Management? Follow to learn how to make your hard drive showing up again in Windows 10/8/7 without losing data.
Based on the possible reasons why your Toshiba external hard drive is not working, you have three methods to try:
Method 1. Check the Hard Drive Connection
You can try many tips to check the connection between your Toshiba external hard drive and your computer:
- Connect your Toshiba external hard drive to another USB port, including the rear ones, on your computer
- Use the original cable to connect your hard drive
- Use another cable to connect your Toshiba hard disk
- Connect your Toshiba hard drive to another computer
Method 2. Update the Toshiba External Hard Drive Driver
If the Toshiba hard drive is still not working, try to update the device driver. An outdated or corrupted hard drive driver will cause some problems while using the device. Since the PC does not detect your hard drive, you cannot update the driver via Device Manager. Go to the official site of Toshiba, then download and install the latest driver by entering your model or the serial number of your disk.
We hope you have fixed Toshiba hard disk not detected issue right now. It may help others if you can share this page on social media.
A Toshiba external hard drive shows up in Device Manager but not Explorer may be caused by a problematic device driver or a drive letter conflict between your Toshiba external disk and the partition on your computer. The solutions are easy:
Method 1. Update Toshiba External Hard Drive Driver
Since your device is detectable, you can update the driver via the Device Manager.
Step 1. Connect the Toshiba external hard drive to PC, right-click on "This PC" (in Windows 10), and choose "Properties".
Step 2. Click "Device Manager", then expand "Disk drives". Find and right-click the problematic USB drive and select "Update driver"
Step 3. Click "automatically search for driver software online".
Step 4. Wait for the driver to be updated, then reboot your computer. Afterward, you can try to reconnect your USB drive to your PC and check whether the USB drive shows up or not.
Method 2. Change Drive Letter
Step 1. Go to "This PC", right-click it, and choose "Manage"> "Disk Management".
Step 2. Right-click the volume on your USB flash drive/external hard drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
Step 3. In the new window, click "Change".
Step 4. Assign a new drive letter to your USB and click "OK".
This common issue happens to external hard drives from all brands, including Toshiba, Seagate, Samsung, and more. The solutions to "Toshiba external hard drive not working" in such a case are the same as the ones to "Seagate external hard drive light blinking but not working", regardless of the brand. You can check the following article to learn more about this issue:
Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Light Blinking But Not Working
This article offers 3 quick fixes and 3 effective methods to help you repair not working Seagate external hard drive. Read more >>
In addition to the most typical cases, there are other situations in which your Toshiba external hard drive is not working properly. Thus, there are other tips worth trying if the methods above fail to bring your device back to normal.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Check Power Management||Click Start, type: devmgmt.msc and hit "Enter"...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Reboot to Safe Mode||Go to Settings, click on "Update & security". Tab on "Recovery"...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Use Partition Manager||Launch EaseUS Partition Master Free and right-click the partition...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Run CMD||Press "Win + R" to open Run dialog and...Full steps|
- Click Start, type: devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- Open Device Manager and expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
- Right-click on the USB Root Hub, click on "Properties".
- Go to Power Management and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
If this doesn't work, try Fix 2.
In order to thoroughly check out and find the exact problem, you can try to reboot the PC into Safe Mode to see where Toshiba external hard drive can work or not. How to boot into Safe Mode:
- Go to Settings, click on "Update & security".
- Tab on "Recovery", select "Advanced Startup" and click "Restart now".
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen, press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
- Then check whether the Toshiba external hard disk can be detected or not.
If not, don't worry. Effective fixes and solutions are available to help to fix Toshiba's external hard drive not working issue right now.
Disk check can effectively fix and repair some internal errors on your storage devices, including the hard disk drive not working. Here you have two options to get this issue fixed:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master Free and right-click the partition that you want to check by clicking "Check File System".
Step 2. Click "Start" to continue and let this program check and fix all found errors on the Toshiba external hard drive.
Step 3. Click Finish to complete the process.
- Running chkdsk can hopefully fix the drive not working issues, however, it can also result in total data loss. So, perform data recovery in advance, and then continue with the CMD method.
- Press "Win + R" to open the Run dialog and type cmd to open Command Prompt by hitting "Enter".
- Type chkdsk /f c: ("C" is the drive letter of your Toshiba external hard drive) and hit "Enter" to run the disk check process.
- Type exit to finish the process when the disk check process is finished.
Then you can check to see whether this has worked to repair your Toshiba external hard drive or not.
- Click on Start and type devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager by hitting Enter.
- Expand "Universal Serial Universal Serial Bus controllers", right-click every USB device found there, and select "Uninstall".
Then check out whether any device shows up as unrecognized or not:
- ⭐If the Toshiba external hard drive shows as unrecognized, go to the driver's tab and delete/uninstall the driver. Then check out whether the external hard drive shows up in My Computer/My PC or not.
- ⭐If it doesn't show up, reboot or restart the PC.
- ⭐If it shows up but disappears later, repeat the above steps and go to Disk Management, change the drive letter of your Toshiba external hard drive and reconnect it to PC to let the PC detect it again.
The Bottom Line
When your Toshiba external hard drive is not working, figure out the specific situation and then follow the corresponding solutions to fix it, which is more time-consuming than trying the tips individually. If none of the fixes help to fix the "Toshiba hard drive not working", other than sending the device for manual repair, you can also replace it if it is still under warranty.
Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Working FAQs
We have three frequently asked questions to help you learn more information about the Toshiba external hard drive not working error.
What should I do to fix Toshiba external hard drive not responding?
There are three ways to fix the external hard drive not responding on your computer.
- 1. Check and change external hard drives' connection cables.
- 2. Connect to another computer to check the USB port's condition.
- 3. Check the power management for the USB hub.
What causes a Toshiba external hard drive to stop working?
The following situations can cause a Toshiba external hard drive to stop working:
- 1. Physical connection failure between the Toshiba external hard drive and your computer.
- 2. USB power management failure.
- 3. The Toshiba external hard drive has not been formatted correctly.
- 4. The drivers need to be updated.
Can I recover data from a Toshiba external hard drive?
You can recover data and delete files from a Toshiba external hard drive with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
- 1. Install and run this software on your PC.
- 2. Connect your Toshiba external hard drive to your computer.
- 3. Scan for the lost files on your Toshiba external hard drive.
- 4. Recover the lost files on the Toshiba external hard drive.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech lives easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. In her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Evan Galasso is a digital forensics and data recovery engineer with over 10 years of experience in the field. He presents opinions on the current state of storage media, reverse engineering of storage systems and firmware, and electro-mechanical systems of SSDs and HDDs.
Brithny/Jul 20, 2023
Brithny/Jul 20, 2023
Tracy King/Sep 06, 2023
Daisy/Sep 20, 2023