Page Table of Contents
Reviews and Awards
"Here's my dilemma: my business partner works at home, while I am in the office using a Windows 10 desktop. This desktop contains most of the files. There are many times when he needs to access the files, so I have to e-mail them to him. It's become a distraction and slows down our work process. My question is what's the best solution to remedy this? What's the best way to share my files with him? Any suggestions?"
Nowadays, it is common to share files between computers. Thankfully, sharing files between two laptops or computers is way easier than you think and you can do it in multiple ways even they are on different networks. Follow the three ways below and transfer files between two computers or laptops.
View Necessary Information on Share files Between Computers on Different Networks:
|⛑️Preparation||External hard drive or USB|
|⛏️Tools||EaseUS Todo PCTrans, File Explorer, Cloud|
✔️EaseUS Todo PCTrans - simple and suitable for all
✔️File Explorer - complicated, suitable for experienced
✔️Cloud - it requires more storage space, and it will cost more money
(Recommended) Sharing Files by Using a File Transferring Tool
Sharing Files between Two Computers via File Explorer
Three Methods about How to Share Files between Computers on Different Networks
When it comes to sharing files between computers on a different network, some users may spend time analyzing how to solve the network connection problems. 3 methods are here. Try the best matching one for yourself!
For saving your time and get a smooth data transfer, we highly recommended file sharing for PC - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free, which doesn't require extra storage space on your PC. The File Explorer and cloud services also can solve your file transfer issue under different networks, the one needs more connection steps and the other demand enough cloud space.
Download free file transfer software:
1. Recommended- Sharing Files by Using a File Transferring Tool
If your two PCs are in different locations or on the internet, using the file sharing tool for PC is suggested. You also need to prepare an external hard drive or USB. But this method helps you save storage space and time compared with the other two methods.
This way of sharing files between computers is helpful if your need is temporary or if you don't want to create network sharing, homegroup, etc. Moreover, this method doesn't need you to be connected to a network. Just connect the external hard drive to your computer and create a backup file to it.
Details to share files via Backup & Restore
Step 1. Create a backup file to transfer
- Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on the source PC. Click "Backup & Restore" and click "Start" to go on.
- Choose "Data Backup" and click "Next". Name the backup file, and set the external USB drive as the backup location.
- Click the "Files" section to choose files. Then, click "Backup" to wait for the process to complete.
When the creating process has completed, click "OK" to confirm. Safely eject the USB drive and connect it to the target PC. Move to recover the backup of files to the new PC using USB.
Step 2. Restore and transfer backup files to PC without network
- Connect the external USB drive with the file created from the source PC to the target PC. Launch PCTrans, click "Backup & Restore" > "Start" > "Data Restore" > "Next".
- Click "Browse" to find the image file in your USB drive. Then, choose the correct backup file and click "Restore" to continue.
- Choose specific files and click "Restore".
Then, you are allowed to share files between computers on different networks.
What Can the File Sharing Software Do for You
- Transfer user's accounts via the network connection or backup file
- Transfer user's account settings, user data, personalization & power settings from one PC to another or from the previous OS to new OS after Windows in-place upgrade.
- Transfer applications & data via the network connection or backup file
- Transfer selected applications & data from one PC to another or from the previous OS to new OS after Windows in-place upgrade.
- Transfer applications (Up-to-date application compatibility list allows getting the latest transferable applications. Applications may require re-activating on the new PC/OS. Support to transfer data/apps from Windows XP/7/8 to Windows 10.)
If the computer that you want to share file is on the same LAN as your pc, we also recommend this article about how to share files between computers on same network.
How to Share/Transfer Files from PC to PC on the Same Network
This page covers the most common ways to share files from PC to PC wirelessly, including using a LAN file sharing software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans, Nearby Sharing, and Windows OneDrive cloud service.
2. Share File between Two Computers via File Explorer
File Explorer provides a method about how to share files on Windows 10. For different network environments, it provides different transmission methods for windows file sharing.
Step 1：Open File Explorer.
Step 2: Choose the folder which contains the files that you want to share.
Step 3: Double-click the Share on the ribbon.
Step 4: Click the Share button.
Step 5: Select a sharing app, such as Mail or any Microsoft apps.
Which way do you like better? You can continue reading for more step guides if you have cloud storage. And if this article helps you, click the social button to share it with other people in need.
3. Sync Files via Cloud Services
You can also use cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc., to sync your files and folders between two computers. The only downside of this approach is the cloud space is limited and you need to upload your files to the cloud and then download them on the other device. This is not the thing you can enjoy if you have a slow internet connection.
Here we’ll take OneDrive as an example to show you how to share files between computers on different networks.
Windows file sharing via OneDrive:
If you want to share files between computers, follow the steps:
Step 1: Input OneDrive on the search bar, then open it.
Step 2: Right-click the files you want to share, and then choose Share an OneDrive link for creating a shareable link.
Step 3: Copy and send a link to the people who operate the remote pc. Then the people who receive the link can access files stored in OneDrive.
What's Your Choice
Compared with the other two methods, EaseUS PC transfer software helps you save storage space and time. Try it out and tell us if this file transfer tool is helpful! If you have any questions about how to use it and more, you can contact us via Live Chat on the right side, send emails to [email protected] or visit our support center.
Share files Between Computers on Different Networks FAQs
This section provides some additional frequently asked questions related to today's topic. If you have further confusion, keep reading.
1. What can transfer data between two networks?
If you want to transfer data between two networks, you need to use a router. A router network device is used to forward data packets between computer networks. It mainly performs the function of directing traffic.
2. How can I access the shared folder from another computer?
You can use the Network Shared Folder in File Explorer. This method allows you to browse and access shared files on other computers.
- Press and hold Windows+R to open the Run window.
- Enter the network share path and click OK.
3. How to share PC on network Windows 10?
Windows 10 provides the ability to open network shares through the network you are connected to:
- Select the Start button.
- Select Settings > Network and Internet.
- Select the Sharing option on the right. Under Private, turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing.
- Under All networks, select Turn off password-protected sharing.
About the Author
Updated by Cici
Cici has accepted the systematic training on computers at EaseUS. Now she has a detailed understanding of common computer issues, as well as computer backups and disk formatting management solutions.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech lives easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. In her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More
How to Transfer PC Games to Steam Deck [Step-by-Step Guide]
[Best Solutions] The Fastest Way to Transfer Files from PC to PC
[Updated Methods] How to Move Eclipse Manager to Another Folder/Computer
Transferring and Migrating Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools to a New PC