Page Table of Contents
Can Windows 7 Files Be Transferred to Windows 11
Pondering whether you can transfer your files from Windows 7 to Windows 11? Then the answer is a simple yes. We store a massive amount of data on our systems. So, while upgrading the operating systems, the first thing that comes to mind is how to transfer files from one operating system to another smoothly and without any loss of data. There are many ways through which you can shift all your files with ease. Through this guide, we will give you solutions to transfer Windows 7 files to Windows 11 successfully on your own.
Method 1. Transfer Files to Windows 11 from Windows 7 Using EaseUS Todo PCTrans
Method 2. Transfer Files Between Windows 7 and Windows 11 via USB/External Hard Drive
Method 3. Share Files from Windows 7 to Windows 11 Using OneDrive
3 Best Ways to Transfer Windows 7 Files to Windows 11
Upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 7 is easy. There are several ways to move your files, but the best and fastest ways to transfer files from Windows 7 to Windows 11 are:
1. Use PC To PC Transfer Software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans
2. Use USB/External Hard Drive
3. Use OneDrive
The next question that arises is which method amongst these is best? Our top pick is EaseUS Todo PCTrans, as it's efficient and fast in file transferring and saves your time and effort.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a full-featured tool that works best to transfer programs and files from one operating system to another on upgrading the OS. This software enables you to migrate everything from Windows 7 to Windows 11 smoothly and efficiently. It is a smart solution that lets you transfer data and programs without reinstalling. This PC to PC transfer software moves files, applications, programs, and accounts between computers. In fact, EaseUS Todo PCTrans is one of the most convenient and fastest ways of transferring files. It also lets you recover programs and files from a dead computer.
The essential features of EaseUS Todo PCTrans are as follows:
- Move everything securely- It enables you to transfer apps, files, programs, settings, and even user profiles from one computer to another in a secure manner.
- Fast and automatically- It offers you the simplest ways to load your new computer, so when you start using your new PC, all the programs and applications are installed and ready to use.
- Auto Transfer- With EaseUS Todo PCTrans, you can automatically transfer programs, files, and settings to another PC.
- No Need to Reinstall Programs- It allows you to directly transfer data without installing apps, thereby improving your efficiency.
- Recover Data and Accounts from A Dead Computer- Even in the case of hardware and software failure, you can still recover your data with EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
Download the free data transfer software:
Three Transfer Modes Available
You can choose the most suitable transfer mode available to transfer and move to a new PC quickly.
- Transfer via Network Connection
By connecting computers on the same LAN, you can transfer files, programs with account settings through the network.
- Transfer Locally
You can also choose migrating applications among local disks of the same computer.
- Transfer via Image File
Another way of transferring files is to create images of your files, programs, and accounts and move them from the source PC to the new PC.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is a very effective yet simple solution for moving your files and programs quickly and conveniently. Thus, we highly recommend this mode of transferring files.
How to Transfer File in "PC to PC" Mode
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both old and new computers. Click the "PC to PC" on the main screen to continue.
Step 2. Choose the right transfer direction.
"New": Transfer data from old PC to current new PC.
"Old": Transfer data from current old PC to remote PC.
Step 3. Connect the two PCs on the same LAN by entering the password or verification code of the target PC. Choose the right transmission direction and click "Connect" to continue.
The verification code is on the right top of the "PC to PC" main screen on the target computer. Turn on button behind Connection Verification.
Step 4. Go to "Files" section, select the individual files you need to move.
Step 5. And, click the "Transfer" button to begin the data migration. Wait for the transferring finishes. The time of the process varies based on the size of the files.
To make things easier, we provide 8 solutions for you to transfer files between two laptops in Windows 11/10/8/7.
Another efficient way of moving files from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 11 PC is utilizing an external storage device. You can quickly transfer all your files and programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11 by using an external storage device like an external hard drive, USB drive, SD card.
External hard drives are not only portable and convenient, but you can also encrypt them for security. Moreover, you do not require any additional software, service, or internet access. In addition, it is the fastest and most cost-effective solution to move large files that consume a lot of storage space.
Steps To Copy Your Files on Windows 7 PC To an External Storage Device
Here are the steps to copy files from a Windows 7 operating system to an external hard drive. You must note that simply copying files from one location to another will not remove them from their original location. The steps are:
- First, connect your external hard drive/USB drive to your Windows 7 PC.
- The next step is to Select the Start Button > Computer.
- Now locate the files or folders where your files are stored that you wish to copy.
- Next, select the file you want to copy without opening the file. In case you want to copy multiple files, hold down the CTRL button while selecting additional files. When you choose folders, it will select all files within those folders.
- Once you select the files, you will see all files you selected are now highlighted. For copying files to the memory, select Organize > Copy from the top of the window.
- Next, click on the corresponding letter of the drive to go to the external drive location.
- When the drive is highlighted, select Organize > Paste to copy the files you selected earlier to the drive.
Before Removing the Storage Device, Verify Your Files Are Correct
Once you have copied your files onto an external hard drive/USB storage device, verify they are in the right location by browsing the external hard drive/USB drive.
The next step is to safely remove the external storage device to ensure no files are lost or corrupted. For removing an external storage device, Select Eject before removing the hard drive from your PC.
Once you have copied your files onto the hard drive, you can easily transfer them onto your new Windows 11 PC.
Transferring files from Windows 7 PC to Windows 11 PC can be done with much ease using OneDrive. When you move to a new PC, many files need to be transferred, and OneDrive enables you to quickly set up your new computer.
Here are the steps to transfer your files from Windows 7 to Windows 11 PC using OneDrive.
Step 1: Installing and Setting Up OneDrive on your Windows 7
To start with, you need to install and set up OneDrive on your Windows 7 computer. Here is the process:
- Start with installing the Windows version of the OneDrive sync app. If you have Microsoft 365 or Microsoft 2016, you already have the OneDrive sync app installed on your PC. To check, click the Start button and search for OneDrive.
- Next, begin with OneDrive Setup.
- Sign up for a Microsoft account if you already don't have one. Signing up is free, and it gives you access to OneDrive, Microsoft Office for the web, Skype, and much more. You can sign in either by using your current email address or phone number or creating a new Outlook.com email address.
- To finish the OneDrive setup, follow all the steps that appear on your screen.
- In the notification area, at the extreme right of the taskbar on the bottom, there is a OneDrive cloud icon (in case you can't find it, click on Show Hidden Icons arrow next to the notification area in the taskbar to see the OneDrive cloud icon); right-click on it and then click Settings.
- Next, in the Back Up Your Folders dialog box, choose all folders containing files you want to transfer to your new PC.
- Now select Start Backup (if you have an older version of OneDrive, select Start Protection).
- If the files you want to transfer are outside of your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders, then use Windows Explorer; for this, press Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer and search the folders you want to transfer and drag them to OneDrive in the left pane.
- You can check the status of the files uploading to OneDrive by hovering your mouse on the OneDrive cloud icon at the extreme right of the taskbar.
Step 2: Setup Your New Computer
To complete the Windows setup on your new PC, follow the steps that appear on the screens. Ensure your computer has access to the Internet throughout the process. When asked to sign in, sign in using the same Microsoft account you used for setting up OneDrive on your Windows 7 computer.
Continue to click "Next" throughout the Windows setup, even on the "Back up your files with OneDrive" screen, and after the setup is finished, you would be able to browse your files in File Explorer. The entire files in your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders on your Windows 7 PC will automatically appear in the exact locations on your Windows 11 PC.
Turn on PC folder Backup
You need to follow this step only if you cannot see your files in File Explorer on your Windows 11 PC. For this, you might need to "Turn On PC Folder Backup".
Here are the steps to ensure OneDrive is running and syncing your files.
- Start by selecting the OneDrive cloud icon in the taskbar.
- Select Help & Settings > Settings.
- In the settings, choose Backup > Manage backup.
- When the Back Up Your Folders dialog box appears, ensure all folders that you want to back up are selected.
- Click Start Backup.
- While your files sync to OneDrive, you can close the dialogue box. You can also see your files sync by selecting View Upload Progress.
Transferring Windows 7 Files to Windows 11 Is Easy with the Correct Tool
By using useful and reliable software, you can successfully transfer Windows 7 files to Windows 11 on your own. The key lies in choosing the right tools. One of the best ways to do this is by using the EaseUS Todo PCTrans tool, as it is a smart tool that lets you migrate files smoothly and efficiently. Other ways such as using an external hard drive or OneDrive are also effective ways to send files to Windows 11 from Windows 7 PC.
About the Author
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More