Page Table of Contents
Applies to: Migrate Server content in Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012/2012 r2/2008/2008 r2/2003, etc.
This page covers everything you need to know about Server Migration and shows you the complete transfer procedure between Server computers.
Server Migration is the process of applying a tool or advanced Server transferring software to migrate data, transfer software, and even user data from one Server to another Server.
So when and why do you need to perform Server Migration? Here is a list of all possible reasons:
- Server computer gets old and slow.
- There is not sufficient space for the Server to store data and applications.
- Server is too old, and you need to upgrade Server data to a new one.
- Protect company data from Server crashes or outdated Server machines.
- Speed up Server computer, optimize company website loading performance.
To get rid of this issue, one efficient way is to free up disk space in Windows Server. However, this only temporarily fixes these issues. A forever solution to these problems is to apply Server Migration.
So, what tools can you apply for Server Migration? Alongside Windows Server Migration Tools built-in Server Manager, there are many tools and methods that Server managers can apply for data, files, and even application migration between two Windows Server computers.
Here is a list of tools that you can apply to transfer data from on Window Server to another:
- Windows Server Migration Tools in Server Manager
- Windows Server Migration Software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician
- Server Data Migration via Cloud Drive
- Data Transfer via USB or External Storage Devices
According to experienced Windows Server experts, server Migration's duration varies depending on many factors. Here is a list of most factors that may affect the speed of Server data migration:
- Data amount
- Network speed
- File type - files, pictures are faster than videos, audios
- USB port type of external storage drives, USB 4.0 and USB 3.0 are much faster than USB 2.0
- Free space on the target drive, the more free space left, the faster server migration speed will be.
- The file transfer speed of Cloud drives may be different.
Suppose all the factors stay the same, so how long would it be for each Server Migration Tool to transfer files, apps, etc., to a new Server computer?
Here is a comparison table that lists the transition speed of the above four recommended methods, and it helps you to figure out which is the fastest for Server data migration:
|Tools for Server Migration||Speed for File Transfer||Transfer Duration for 1TB of Data|
|Windows Server Migration Tools||100MB/s||2.9 hours|
|EaseUS Server Migration Software||/||/|
- EaseUS Server Migration Software - PC Transfer is a software that connects two computers via a network. The transfer speed is highly affected by the hard drive's network stability, file amount, and read/write speed. So the transferring speed may vary on different computers with this Server migration software.
So when to use the above 4 Server Migration tools and how to use them? First, check the tutorial guide below, you'll transfer files and content from Server to Server successfully.
To help you fully understand and learn how to use the recommended methods for transferring files, we have decided to offer you the complete guide and list methods from easy to complex.
Follow and get the most suitable tool for Server Migration now:
- Device: A big USB or external hard drive with sufficient free space, two Server computers
- Tools: Windows Copy & Paste
- Transfer Content: Files and folders stored on Server computers, Database content, etc.
How to Transfer:
Step 1. Connect the USB or external hard drive to the source Server.
Step 2. Copy and paste files and folders that you need to migrate to a new Server into the external storage device.
Step 3. Disconnect the external storage drive, once done, connect it to the new Server.
Step 4. Copy and paste files and folders to the new Server's target location.
- Device: Two Server computers, network connection in the same LAN
- Tools: Server Migration Software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician
- Transfer Content: Files, folders, applications, Server users' accounts, and settings.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician is reliable and trustworthy in assisting Server users in migrating almost everything to a new Server computer. You can download, install and apply this tool to see how to own old Server data to a new computer within only a few simple clicks.
#1. Transfer Data to New Server
Step 1. Open EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both of your server computers. Choose "PC to PC" to go to the next step.
Step 2. Choose the transfer direction - New PC or Old PC.
"New" - Transfer files from old Server to current new Server.
"Old" - Transfer files from current old Server to a new Server.
Step 3. Connect the current PC to the target PC by entering the target computer's account password or its verification code. You can turn on the "Connection Verification"on the right top of the "PC to PC" mainscreen on the target computer.
Step 4. Click "Files" > "Transfer" to check all the files you want to transfer to another Server computer. Then click "Transfer" to migrate specific data you have chosen.
Step 5. Wait for the process finishes. PCTrans will transfer files at a fast speed. It won't take too long.
#2. Migrate Apps, Software to Another Server
Step 1. Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both PCs
On the source PC, select "PC to PC" on the main screen of EaseUS Todo PCTrans and move on.
Step 2. Choose transfer direction - Old or New Computer
"New" - Transfer all data from remote old computer to current new computer.
"Old" - Transfer all data from current old device to a new computer.
Step 3. Connect two computers
1. Select your target PC to connect via its IP address or device name and click "Connect".
2. Enter the login password of your target PC and click "OK" to confirm.
If you didn't see the target PC in the listed devices, you can also click "Add PC" to manually connect the target PC by inputting its IP address or device name.
Step 4. Select apps, programs, and software and transfer to the target computer
1. You can select and choose what you want to transfer from the current computer to the target PC.
2. After selecting desired applications and programs, click "Transfer" to start the transferring process.
You May Also Feel Like to Learn:
This tutorial article provides you with a step-by-step guide to transfer a User Account with the password to a new computer in Windows 10/8/7 with a few simple clicks.
- Device: Two Server computers, cloud drive account
- Tools: OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, pCloud, etc.
- Transfer Content: Files, folders, and desktop content in Server computer.
How to Transfer Server Files:
Step 1. Launch the cloud drive app on the Server computer or open the could website via browser.
Step 2. Log in with your cloud drive account and password.
Step 3. Click "Add" or "Upload" to select files or documents on the computer to upload.
Step 4. Once done, launch the cloud drive app on the new Server computer, log in and select files to download to the new Server.
- Device: Two Server computers, an external USB drive with sufficient free space
- Tools: Windows Server Migration Tools
- Transfer Content: Files, folders, and desktop content in Server computer.
Windows Server Migration Tools is a built-in tool that Micorosft added to Windows Server Manager, and advanced Server experts would apply this tool for file migration between Servers.
How to Use Windows Server Migration Tools for Server File Transferring:
Step 1. Enable Windows Server Migration Tools in Server Manager:
Type and search Server Manager, click to open it > Click "Manage" > "Add Roles and Features".
Check "Windows Server Migration Tools" and click "Next" > Click "Install" to continue.
Step 2. Create a deployment folder on the target server computer:
Open "PowerShell" , type the following command lines and enter each time.
- cd %Windir%\System32\ServerMigrationTools\
- SmigDeploy.exe /package /architecture X64 /os WS08 /path
Step 3. Register Windows Server Migration Tools on the source Server computer:
- Copy the deployment folder to a local drive of the source computer.
- Open Command Prompt, type .\Smigdeploy.exe, and hit Enter.
Step 4. Migrate Server Data from Server to Server
- Open Windows Server Manager on the source Server, click to open Windows Server Migration Tools.
- Open PowerShell and type Export-SmigServerSetting -User All -Group –Path C:SysAdminExportMigUsersGroups –Verbose, then hit Enter.
This will help to export files from the source Server computer.
- On the target Server computer, open Server Migration Tools by launching Server Manager > Tools > Windows Server > Migration Tools.
- Open Powershell and type Import-SmigServerSetting–UserEnabled–Group-PathC:SysAdminExportMigUsersGroups -Verbose, hit Enter.
This command will import the exported Server data to the new Server computer.
All you need is to wait for the process to complete.
Server Migration Is Easy, and You Can Be an Expert with the Right Solution
This page explained what Server Migration is and listed 4 normal Server Migration tools for any level of Serve users to apply for transferring data from Server to Server.
- For the easiest method, don't miss Windows Copy and Paste via an external storage device.
- For a comprehensive solution to migrate everything to a new Server computer, you can always rely on EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician.
- For experienced Server users, Windows Server Migration Tools is economical for Server file migration.
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More