How to Fix HP USB Disk Storage Formatting Tool Failed to Format Device
"Hi, I have been using HP USB disk storage tool 2.2.3 in Windows 7. Lately, my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10, but when I tried to run the software to format a 64GB USB to FAT32, it went about 80% and then just said 'failed to format the device'. Quitting the software doesn't work. It seemed to be an incompatibility issue. Now I need a better alternative for the HP USB disk storage formatting tool that can work perfectly in Windows 10. Any thoughts?"
HP USB Disk Storage Formatting Tool Failed to Format the Device
HP USB disk storage formatting utility is used to format USB flash drive with FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. It is popular among users who prefer a third-party USB formatting tool than Disk Management in Windows. The problem is, a lot of users start complaining about this software after upgrading their computers to Windows 10. They constantly receive a formatting error message saying "failed to format the device".
If you are one of these unfortunate users and you are sure the USB disk is not damaged, don't worry. We find a better yet free alternative - EaseUS Partition Master, a partition manager software that can do whatever an HP USB disk storage application can do.
How to Format USB Disk Storage with EaseUS Partition Master
EaseUS Partition Master is more than just an HP formatting alternative, as it offers more useful features that users would frequently use in their daily life. Here are the amazing features of this tool:
- Fully supports users to format the storage device with FAT, FAT32, or NTFS.
- Enables users to resize (like extend or shrink) partition, wipe partition, hide partition, delete the partition, merge partitions, create a new partition, etc.
- Completely wipe out all the data on hard disk permanently to save all confidential & sensitive data.
- Works well in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
Download the EaseUS Partition Master for free and learn how to format your USB drive from the steps below.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master, right-click the partition on your external hard drive/USB/SD card which you want to format and choose the "Format" option.
Step 2. Assign a new partition label, file system (NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3), and cluster size to the selected partition, then click "OK".
Step 3. In the Warning window, click "OK" to continue.
Step 4. Click the "Execute Operation" button in the top-left corner to review the changes, then click "Apply" to start formatting your external hard drive/USB/SD card.
Note: Smaller cluster size makes less wasting of disk space. The smaller the cluster size is, the bigger the file allocation table (FAT) will be. The bigger the FAT is, the slower the operating system works with the disk.
Bonus Tip: How to Fix HP USB Format Tool Write Protected
Another common HP USB format tool problem is that the write-protected message prompted during the formatting. The possible reasons and solutions are as follow:
1. Turn off the write-protected tab on your USB stick. Some USB drives have a lock switch used to protect the drive in transit. If you receive the error message, check if you have turned on the write-protected switch. If yes, unlock it and have another try.
2. The device is set to read-only in disk attributes. You may set read-only to that device consciously or unconsciously. You can remove the read-only cluster in Diskpart. Press the "Windows + R" key to open Run. Type "diskpart" and press Enter. Run as administrator. Then, run these commands in sequence:
- list disk
- select disk n (where n is the disk number of your USB flash drive)
- attrib disk clear Readonly
3. The file system of the USB drive is corrupted by viruses. Under this condition, you can use a data recovery tool to recover data on your damaged USB drive first. And then try formatting the USB with another formatting tool like EaseUS Partition Master.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
About EaseUS Partition Master
All-round disk & partition management software for personal and commercial use. Let it manage your storage drive: resize, format, delete, clone, convert, etc.
How to Partititon a Hard Drive on Windows 10/8/7
Was This Page Helpful
How Can We Help You
Find answers to common questions below.