Page Table of Contents
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix Macrium Reflect Clone failed||
1. Run CHKDSK to check & repair source disk...Full steps
2. Try an alternative software when Macrium...Full steps
Macrium Reflect clone failed with a read or write error is happening to different users all the time. And in different situations, it shows different error messages. Just like the case:
"While I was trying to clone my OS from HDD to a new Samsung 840 SSD using Macrium Reflect, I keep getting an error that says
'Clone failed - Read failed - 13 - Broken pipe'
Any help with this problem?"
If you are unfortunately caught by this issue during disk cloning, please don't worry! It is not a big issue and there are some possible ways to help you out.
1.Click 'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Accessories' then click 'Command Prompt'.
2. Type 'chkdsk C: /r /f', with "C" replaced with the letter of your source drive if different, and press Enter.
The command will start CHKDSK to perform a full scan on the source disk and repair all the errors, bad sectors or corruption it finds. When it completed, reboot your PC and try the clone again.
As chkdsk does not always capture and fix all the disk problems, it is likely that Macrium Reflect still cannot complete the disk cloning process.
If it happens, we recommend you to try EaseUS backup software as an alternative solution to manage the disk clone job. With sector by sector clone feature, the program is able to successfully clone a hard drive with bad sectors.
Step 1. Connect the New Second Hard Drive to the PC
Preparations before cloning start:
1. To connect the target disk to your PC, you may need a screwdriver, a Power Splitter Adapter Cable, a SATA cable, or a USB to SATA adapter.
2. Make sure the target HDD/SSD has an equal or bigger capacity than the used space of the old drive.
3. Check whether the style of the new disk is the same as that of the old disk. If not, Initialize a new HDD/SSD to MBR or GPT.
3. Download a Disk Cloning Tool – EaseUS Todo Backup
EaseUS Todo Backup is the cloning software that integrates multiple functions, including , etc. In the disk clone field, this tool stands out due to the following aspects:
- Support system/disk clone, backup, restoring , and system transfer.
- Covers as many as disk cloning demands, such as update hard drive to a larger one, clone OS, etc.
- Disk cloning has the highest success rate among all similar products on the market.
- Supports all kinds of disk types, including IDE, EIDE, SATA, ESATA, ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0.
- Supports cloning of basic/dynamic disks and MBR/GPT disks.
Step 2. Step by Step Guide
System Clone: Choose System Clone > choose the destination disk > click Next to start. In Advanced options, you can choose the option of Create a portable Windows USB drive to clone the system to a USB drive.
Disk/Partition Clone: Choose Clone > Select the resource disk or partition > Select the target disk > Click Next to start.
Step 3. Boot from the Clone Hard Drive
Case 1. If you want to keep both the old disk and the new disk
- Restart PC and press F2 (F8,F10, DEL...) to enter BIOS settings.
- In the Boot option, select new HDD/SSD as the new boot drive.
- Exit BIOS and restart the computer.
Case 2. If you want to only keep the new disk
- Unplug the old disk and make sure the new disk is well connected.
- Connect the new disk and make sure it can be detected by the computer
- Restart your computer.
Was this page helpful? Your supoport is truly important to us!
EaseUS Todo Backup
EaseUS Todo Backup is a dependable and professional data backup solution capable of backing up files, folders, drives, APP data and creating a system image. It also makes it easy to clone HDD/SSD, transfer the system to different hardware, and create bootable WinPE bootable disks.
Updated byDaisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.…Read full bio
Written byBrithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech lives easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. In her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.…Read full bio
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files, disks, APPs and entire computer.