How to fix Macrium Reflect clone failed
Macrium Reflect clone failed with a read or write error is happening to different users all the time. And in different situations, it shows different error messages. Just like the case:
"While I was trying to clone my OS from HDD to a new Samsung 840 SSD using Macrium Reflect, I keep getting an error that says
'Clone failed - Read failed - 13 - Broken pipe'
Any help with this problem?"
If you are unfortunately caught by this issue during disk cloning, please don't worry! It is not a big issue and there are some possible ways to help you out.
Run CHKDSK to check & repair source disk errors that might cause Macrium Reflect clone failed issue
1.Click 'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Accessories' then click 'Command Prompt'.
2. Type 'chkdsk C: /r /f', with "C" replaced with the letter of your source drive if different, and press Enter.
The command will start CHKDSK to perform a full scan on the source disk and repair all the errors, bad sectors or corruption it finds. When it completed, reboot your PC and try the clone again.
As chkdsk does not always capture and fix all the disk problems, it is likely that Macrium Reflect still cannot complete the disk cloning process.
Try an alternative software when Macrium Reflect clone failed after CHKDSK
If it happens, we recommend you to try EaseUS backup software as an alternative solution to manage the disk clone job. With sector by sector clone feature, the program is able to successfully clone a hard drive with bad sectors.
01. Connect A Second Hard Drive
Tools you need: a screwdriver, a Power Splitter Adapter cable, a SATA cable or an USB to SATA adapter. Make sure the target HDD/SSD is larger than the used space of the current drive.
- Connect the target disk to your computer.
- For desktop, open the mainframe with screwdriver and connect the disk to the mainboard with a SATA cable, then connect the disk's Power Splitter Adapter Cable into the power supply box.
- For laptop, you can use an USB to SATA adapter to connect the disk.
- Initialize a new HDD/SSD to MBR or GPT before you can use it (To keep the target new disk the same style as that of the current disk).
02. Download a Disk Cloning Utility
EaseUS Todo Backup is the cloning software that integrates multiple functions, including system/disk clone, backup, restoring , and system transfer, etc. In the disk clone field, this tool stands out due to the following aspects:
- Covers as many as disk cloning demands, such as update hard drive to a larger one, clone OS, etc.
- Disk cloning has the highest success rate among all similar products on the market.
- Supports all kinds of disk types, including IDE, EIDE, SATA, ESATA, ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0.
- Supports cloning of basic/dynamic disks and MBR/GPT disks.
03. Get Ready with the Clone Procedures
System Clone: Choose System Clone > choose the destination disk > click Proceed to start. In Advanced options, you can choose the option of Create a portable Windows USB drive to clone the system to a USB drive.
Disk/Partition Clone: Choose Clone > Select the resource disk or partition > Select the target disk > Click Proceed to start.
04. Boot from the Clone Hard Drive
Option 1. If you want to keep both the old disk and the new disk
- Restart PC and press F2 (F8,F10, DEL...) to enter BIOS settings.
- In the Boot option, select new HDD/SSD as the new boot drive.
- Exit BIOS and restart the computer.
Option 2. If you want to only keep the new disk
- Unplug the old disk and make sure the new disk is well connected.
- Restart your computer.
- Option 2 is a better hard drive retention plan for laptops
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More