How to Backup Files Before Formatting in Windows 10/8/7 PC and Laptop
Disk formatting is the configuring process of a data storage media such as a hard disk drive, memory card or flash drive for initial use. Any existing files on the drive would be erased with disk formatting. That's why we wrote this article and ask you to backup files before formatting in a Windows computer or laptop with the help of EaseUS Todo Backup.
7 Things You Must Consider Before Formatting
People tend to perform a quick disk formatting on their computers as soon as a storage media has some issues, such as unreadable, not opening, not accessible, or filling up by junky data files on it. Generally, it's quick and straight to format an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, because they usually hold personal data that can be easily copied/transferred to another place for a backup. Whereas for Windows desktop or laptop storage which has a close relationship with the operating system and system programs, in addition to a mere data backup, there are some other significant moves you should take before formatting. Here are seven tips for you to manage a computer resource while preparing for formatting a disk and erasing data.
- 1. Take a full backup of everything you need
- 2. Copy your drivers of graphics, audio, etc.
- 3. Write down your browser account, password, and settings.
- 4. Copy your operating system if you don't want a reinstallation.
- 5. De-authorize or deactivate the software which works with a single license code on one PC.
- 6. Save your product key, especially for the purchased programs like Office, Adobe products, etc.
- 7. Save your operating system serial keys since you need to reactivate it later.
What Should I Backup Before Formatting
Then what files are essential or what files are mandatory to back up? In fact, no matter what computer information you're going to save an exact copy of it, you must employ a capable data backup and recovery program for Windows 10/8/7 as well as earlier Windows operating system versions. EaseUS Todo Backup comes handy for personal use with a concise interface, and it provides customers with several mutually exclusive but comprehensive backup features that supposed to meet different requirements as follows.
- 1. For external hard drives, you can directly choose backup the entire drive or its partitions
- 2. For local drives, you got two options to take an effective backup.
- For non-system drives, you can choose to backup files/drive partition as you want.
- For system C drive, you can choose to back up the operating system or the whole system drive with data and programs on it.
What files you should choose to back up is decidedly up to you. Be ready to backup files before formatting Windows 10/8/7 with a user-friendly Windows backup and recovery program - EaseUS Todo Backup, which ensures a complete backup of hard drive, external hard drive, programs, documents, videos, photos, emails and all data you concerned on a PC and laptop.
How to Backup Files Before Formatting in Windows 10/8/7 PC, Laptop or External Hard Drive
Though as easy as 123 with characterized "backup" features that are exclusively designed for drive/partition, system, files, and emails, some of you may still wander a number of details. So, why not figure out the answers before initializing your first backup before formatting?
Backup computer before formatting FAQs:
1. Where can I save the large computer backups?
It depends on you because the software allows you to choose a backup location as you want, including a physical hard drive, a removable hard disk, Network drive, NAS, or Cloud.
2. Should I backup the AppData folder?
The AppData folder contains application settings, files, and data specific to the application on your Windows PC. Since formatting your PC usually solves the problem of the computer freezing, crashing, viral damage, or lagging behind and aims to make your computer faster, it's good to have your operating system, as well as this hidden but critical folder backed up together, and restore your operating system back without re-configuring settings.
Backup computer files before formatting user guide:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo Backup software and then choose "File", "Disk/partition" or "OS" for different backup purpose.
Step 2. Choose the system, disk partition, files or apps that you want to back up. Then click "Browse" to select a destination where you want to store the backup file.
- Product News
- EaseUS Todo Backup now supports users to back up files to the cloud. All you need to do is sign up with an EaseUS account, then you could enjoy a large cloud storage space. More advantages of backing up to the cloud include accessing backup files anytime and anywhere, saving file copies offsite, so you don't need to worry about virus attacks or computer failures, and easier and faster backup and recovery operations.
Step 3. Click "Save" to start the data backup process.
How to format C drive in Windows after taking the backup? This linked page offers you a full guide.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More