Page Table of Contents
Are you a dedicated Riot Games fan? If yes, you definitely want to play graphic-rich Valorant or League of Legends series uninterruptedly on your computer.
Unfortunately, if you are unable to properly load or run your favorite Riot Games on your brand new Windows 11 computer, this might have something to do with the space issue.
You see, gamers, Riot Games files are by default stored on C: drive. As you already know, this drive is also a home for all your Windows updates and other system files. So, when your C drive gets overloaded with files and folders, it can impact your gaming experience.
To smoothly run Riot Games' graphics and high-tech elements, you at least required 15% to 20% of free space on your drive. If your C drive doesn't have that much free space left, the best option is to move Riot Games to another drive.
But won't that be complicated? Not really! Here you can use data transfer software like EaseUS Todo PCTrans to transfer Riot Games to another drive with one click. Also, there you have numerous manual ways to move Riot Games like Valorant to another drive. So, let's study both the software and manual method in depth and select the right one for your smooth Riot Games shift.
Before moving Riot Games to another drive, let's understand why it is a good idea to store your files on another drive:
Free Up Space on C: drive
Today, if you are planning to update your system with Windows 11, you at least require 64GB or more free storage space for it. Since Windows 11 and Riot Games are both stored in C: drive by default. Thus, for an easy Windows update and uninterrupted gaming experience, you need to move Riot Games to another drive.
Move to A Larger SSD
To render the high-quality gaming experience, boasting sequential read and write speeds of around 7,000MB/s and 5300MB/s is required. So here, if your SSD doesn't support ideal gaming speed, you should get a larger SSD to boost your PC's gaming performance. And for that, you need to transfer Riot Games to another drive.
Create Room for Updates
Riot Games often share new updates with their users for better performance and bug fixes. Here having a dedicated drive for Riot Games can provide you with sufficient space to install all the latest game updates on your device.
If you are a new Windows user or want to quickly move Riot Games to another drive, use data transfer software. Using the software, you can securely and seamlessly free up sufficient space to run Riot Games on your drives.
Importantly, you can use free and robust tools like EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free to migrate your files. This software is designed by EaseUS, a legacy utility software development company. Besides the great developer team's support, Todo lets you:
- Transfer Riot Games to Another Drive with One-click
- Intuitive and Automatic Transfer Process
- A Large Community and Customer Support
Step 1. Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans on your PC
Go to "App Migration" and click "Start" to continue.
Step 2. Select programs to move from C drive to another drive
1. Tick the C drive and select programs (marked as "Yes") that you want to transfer.
2. Click the triangle icon to select another drive on your computer as the destination, and click "Transfer" to start the process.
Step 3. Finish the transferring
Wait patiently until the transferring process finishes and click "OK" to confirm.
When it has done, you can restart PC if necessary. This will keep all changes on your PC and then you can run and programs from another hard drive without reinstallation.
Besides the easy and quick software method, you can also manually move Riot Games to another drive on your computer. There you have three ways to transfer data from one drive to another manually, such as:
Unlike regedit relying programs, you can easily move and launch Riot Games by copying and pasting to another location. However, this method might not work on all systems, so you have to try and see if it works on your computer. To do so:
- Go to the location where Riot Games is installed. Mostly, the path is C:\Riot Games.
- Right-click on the folder and click on the Copy.
- Now, go to the drive where you want to save your games; let's say G: drive.
- Right-click anywhere in the empty area and click on the Paste.
Once the process is complete, launch the Riot Games and see if it's working.
If the copy and paste method didn't work for you, try the uninstalling and reinstalling method. As the name suggests, you have to first uninstall Riot Games and then reinstall in the new location like this:
- Next, go to Settings and select the Apps.
- Click on the Riot Games and then click on the Uninstall button.
- Next, delete all the files related to the game from the directory.
- Now, open your web browser and go to any Riot Games site like League of Legends or Valorant and download it.
- Now, open the installation wizard and follow the steps on your screen.
- By default, you will get path C:\Riot Games. So, change it to the new location where you want to move it like D:\Riot Games.
- Now, launch the Riot Games, log into your account and download your game components to the new location as well.
For pro-Windows users, the command line method is also a great way to move Riot Games to another drive, as:
- Go to C: drive > ProgramData folder > Open Riot Games folder.
- Now, open the RiotClientInstalls.json file with notepad.
- Change the path to the new one and save the file.
- Now, go to Metadata in the Riot Games folder and open any games folder like valorant.live.
- Click open the "valorant.live.product_settings.yaml" file with notepad.
- Replace the "product_install_full_path" and "product_install_root" lines with new paths and save the changes.
There you go, gamers! Now, you know how to transfer Riot Games to another drive using both software and manual methods.
With software, you get a quick, secure and easy solution to transfer Riot Games. Plus, you have EaseUS Todo PCTrans for free and robust file migration software to ease your job further.
In contrast, manual methods like copy and paste don't work on all the systems, and with the uninstalling and reinstalling method, you might lose some of your data. And, the command line isn't a cup of tea for everyone.
All in all, the software approach is the right one to move Riot Games to another drive. But, the final choice is yours. So, make your decision wisely.
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More