CHKDSK Not Working in Windows 10/8/7? Fix It Now!
Five Methods to Fix CHKDSK Not Working in Windows 10/8/7:
Overview of CHKDSK Not Working
The Check Disk utility, namely CHKDSK when you use the command form, usually associates with hard drives. It's designed to scan through your entire hard drive to find and fix problems. Windows users take CHKDSK as a very practical yet powerful tool to help prevent potentially risky problems and data loss in the long run. Mainly, CHKDSK takes effect in two scenarios: One is to scan the integrity of the file system and attempt to fix any logical file system errors that it finds; The other is to look for bad sectors and it is able to repair soft bad sectors or mark hard bad sectors so they won't be used again. CHKDSK is functional in most times. However, some of you might see CHKDSK not working in Windows 10, 8 or 7 as well.
Why is CHKDSK not working occasionally as expected? First of all, start a basic examination of the following basics of a successful disk checking in Windows 10.
1. Did you run as an administrator?
2. Is CHKDSK stuck or frozen due to a high disk usage on your computer?
3. Is it because CHKDSK won't run at all, or simply the command chkdsk/f (chkdsk f/r) not working?
4. Did CHKDSK return the exact error messages as follows?
- Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write-protected
- The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives
- This type of file system is NTFS. Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode
Typical error messages related to CHKDSK not working are usually easier to tackle. If you cannot run CHKDSK by receiving the exact error messages in the example, click the given link to find corresponding solutions. What if your case is not presented in the very part? Take it easy. Next are five general troubleshooting methods for CHKDSK not working in Windows 10/8/7. Users who come across the problem of not being able to run CHKDSK or CHKDSK commands fail to repair errors on a hard drive, USB flash drive or memory card, read on and give each method a try.
How to Fix CHKDSK Not Working in Windows 10/8/7 [ 5 Methods]
Are you having a similar problem on your computer, hard drive partition or storage devices that the CHKDSK checking process hangs with nothing repaired? Are you unable to run a startup disk check by scheduled CHKDSK command in PC? Relax! Powerful & effective methods are available here to help you fix CHKDSK not working issue in Windows 10/8/7 with ease now.
Method 1. Fix CHKDSK not working error with CHKDSK alternative software
When CHKDSK fails to work on your PC hard drive, partitions or storage devices, you can apply a CHKDSK alternative software for help. Here you may try a highly recommended free CHKDSK alternative software - EaseUS Partition Master Free to free check and fix internal errors in Windows system, hard drive partitions and external storage devices.
Download it for free and follow steps below to run a CHKDSK checking process on your storage devices or partition hard drive with EaseUS Partition Master.
Step 1. Right-click the target partition that has a problem.
Step 2. Choose "Advanced" > "Check File System".
Step 3. In the Check File System window, check the "Try to fix errors if found" option.
Step 4. Click "Start" to check errors on your partition.
Method 2. Run System Restore to fix CHKDSK command not working issue
When you failed to run CHKDSK with cmd command in PC, you may try a system restore to restore the system to a previous state/point to get this issue fixed. Follow below guide to get your problem fixed now:
For Windows 10/8 users:
- Open Control Panel > Tab System and Security > Click System.
- Tab System protection > Click System Restore in System Properties window.
- Click Next when System Restore window shows up > Select restore point you want to use to fix CHKDSK not working error.
- Confirm the restore point on Confirm your restore point window and tap Finish.
- Click Yes to start the System Restore now.
Note: Once the System Restore process starts, it cannot be interrupted. And if you have essential personal files stored in system drive, please backup them in advance.
For Windows 7 users:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
- Click on System Restore > Click Next.
- Choose the restore point that you want to use to fix CHKDSK not working error > Click Next.
- Click Finish on the Confirm your restore point windows to begin System Restore > Click Yes to start restoring the system to the previous state.
After finishing the system restore process, restart your computer to keep all changes. Then you can run CHKDSK command to check and fix system errors or internal errors in hard drive, partition or storage devices in your PC now.
Method 3. Correct registry data to fix CHKDSK not running error
1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog and type: regedit.exe and hit Enter to open Registry editor.
2. Navigate to below location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session ManagerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.
3. On the right pane, double-click on the BootExecute string and make sure the value data is set to 'autocheck autochk*'.
Method 4. Disable hybrid boot in Windows 10 to fix CHKDSK not working issue
If you have enabled and used the hybrid boot in Windows 10, CHKDSK command may not be able to work, and you have to turn it off:
1. Click Start and type: CMD to open Command Prompt by hitting Enter.
2. Type: powercfg /h off and hit Enter to disable the hybrid boot feature in Windows 10.
3. Reboot PC to keep all changes in Windows system and then you shall be able to use CMD with CHKDSK command again.
Method 5. Repair autochk.exe to fix CHKDSK not running issue
1. Open the File Explorer, click This PC and access Windows.old folder at C: \Windows.old.
2. Right-click on autochk.exe file > Open the properties to modify the ownership to your account.
3. Copy the autochk.exe file to C:\Windows\System32 folder and replace it.
4. You can also try to copy the autochk.exe file from an older Windows system version to this not working PC and replace it.
5. Reboot PC to keep all changes.
What Else Can You Do When CHKDSK Does Not Work?
Due to the fact that CHKDSK is an efficient disk checking tool to scan and fix the hard drive for file system corruption and bad sectors, it's significant to develop basic skills to fix the problem of CHKDSK not working properly sometimes. Here on this page, you've learned more than five ways to deal with the issue of a not working chkdsk/f or chkdsk f / r, and I hope at least one method has solved your problem of not being able to run the check disk at the moment.
In addition, sometimes CHKDSK is working but it takes too long to complete the process. For those who waited for hours and hours, but the chkdsk is still stuck at 10%, 11%, 12%, or 32%, you need to take further action.
Step 1. Run EaseUS Partition Master to clear up junk files.
Step 2. Run sfc /scannow to run the System File Checker.
Step 3. Execute the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to repair the Windows image
Step 4. Escape and restart the CHKDSK.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
About EaseUS Partition Master
All-round disk & partition management software for personal and commercial use. Let it manage your storage drive: resize, format, delete, clone, convert, etc.
How to Partititon a Hard Drive on Windows 10/8/7
Was This Page Helpful
How Can We Help You
Find answers to common questions below.