Quick Access on How to Merge Disk 0 and Disk 1
You need two steps and you can merge the two disks:
- First, convert the two disks into dynamic disks
- Second, merge the two disks with EaseUS Partition Master
- Merge Disk 0 and Disk 1 only work with converting two disks into dynamic disks. Without the first step, EaseUS Partition Master can not merge it.
How Can I Merge Disk 0 and Disk 1 to Extend Disk Space
"There are three disks on my computer. The disk 0 is almost full because I often use it to save and back up terabytes of data. However, my disk 1 has lots of free space. I wonder, can I merge disk 0 and disk 1 to get more space for my disk 0? Can I move unallocated space on disk 1 to disk 0?" Or how to take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0?"
Most users may have experienced the same problem: one of their disks gets full while the other has lots of unallocated space. The best choice to make full use of all space is to merge the two disks. Or move volume from disk o to disk 1. On this page, we'll show you how to effectively merge disk 0 and disk 1 (just two disks) with ease. You can also use the provided method on this page to merge even more disks on Windows PC.
Preparations Before Combine Disk 0 and Disk 1
To merge disk 0 and disk 1, you need to do the following preparations.
1. Download reliable partition manager software
Professional partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master can help you merge two disks effectively, allowing you to make full use of disk space. This software has many highlights:
- Transfer free disk space from one drive to another directly.
- Resize/move, merge, clone partition, and check file system error.
- Clone disk, convert to MBR/GPT, convert to dynamic/basic, and even wipe data.
- Migrate OS to SSD to speed up Windows without reinstalling.
2. Make sure the second disk contains enough unallocated space
As long as the second disk contains unallocated space, you can add it to the target disk to extend partitions.
- 1. It doesn't support merging external hard drives or devices.
- 2. Only internal hard disks can be merged as one disk.
- 3. Only unallocated space can be merged into another disk.
- 4. It doesn't support increasing C drive across two hard disks.
You just need two steps and you can merge the two disks. First, convert the two disks into dynamic disks. Second, merge the two disks. Now, let's start to merge two disks in Windows 11/10:
Step 1. Convert Basic into Dynamic
- Click "Disk Converter" and select "Convert Basic to Dynamic". Click "Convert" to continue.
- Confirm the disk conversion from the Basic to Dynamic.
- Select the other disk (with at least 1M free space at the end of the disk) and convert it to a dynamic disk in the same way.
- When both of the disks have been converted into dynamic disks, as shown below, you can follow Step 2 to merge free space from one disk to another now.
Step 2. Merge Two Disks into One Disk
Note: The other dynamic must be unallocated space. If it's not, use EaseUS Partition Master to delete all the partitions on it. What's more, you cannot merge a system partition even if you have converted it to dynamic.
- Select the full disk, right-click on it and choose "Resize/Move".
- Use your mouse to drag the partition panel rightward or leftward to extend partition size.
Sometimes, the unallocated space is on the left of the partition you want to extend. If you want to move unallocated space, just drag the left partition handle leftwards to the size you want.
- Click "Execute 1 Task(s)" and "Apply".
If you have two adjacent partitions on the same disk, you can also merge them with the help of EaseUS partition software. Compared with Disk Management, EaseUS Partition Master won't ask you to delete a volume to create a new space. Instead, as long as the source partition and the target partition are adjoining partitions, you can combine them directly.
Steps to combine two adjacent partitions on the same disk:
Step 1: Select the target partition
Right-click on the partition which you want to add space to and keep, and select "Merge".
Step 2: Select a neighbor partition to merge
Select one partition next to the former selected partition to merge.
And click "OK" to continue.
Step 3: Execute operation to merge partitions
1. Click the "Execute Task" button at the top and then click "Apply".
2. The program will merge space and add files from the second partition to the first partition.
You can merge two adjacent partitions to extend C drive or other drives. You can also merge two disks by converting them into dynamic disks. EaseUS disk management tool plays a vital role in managing your disk space. You can always turn to EaseUS for help when you are faced with disk management issues.
Move Unallocated Space from One Disk To Another FAQs
We provide you with several questions and answers. If you want to get additional help, you can read on.
What is the difference between disk 0 and disk 1?
Disk 1 and Disk 0 are two different physical discs. Disk 0 maybe 120 GB SSD. Disk 1 maybe 1 TB HDD. It nearly covers your requirement of having more storage space.
Is Dynamic Disk better than basic?
A dynamic disk gives more flexibility than a basic disk because it does not use a partition table to keep track of all partitions. Instead, it uses a hidden logical disk manager (LDM) or virtual disk service (VDS) to track information about the disk's dynamic partitions or volumes.
How do I add space from disk 1 to disk 0?
You need two steps, and you can merge the two disks.
Step 1. Convert the two disks into dynamic disks.
Step 2. Resize one of the disk partition to add space to it.
Can you combine two SSDs?
Yes. If none of them is a system disk, you can merge SSDs with the help of EaseUS Partition Master.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech lives easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. In her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More