Can I burn an ISO to a USB flash drive? Yes, sure. In the following, you'll learn what the ISO image is, the benefits of burning ISO image to USB, and how to burn ISO image to your target USB with success.
|🔢Complex Level:||Simple, Beginners|
|🎯Applies to:||Burn ISO to USB Windows 10/11 and Windows 7.|
|🧰Tools:||USB, Windows PC, File Explorer, Windows ISO file, ISO Burning Software|
Key Takeaways of Burning ISO Image to USB:
- Don't worry if you are not clear about ISO to USB burning procedure.
- Burning ISO image is a complex procedure that requires you to turn to a professional ISO to USB burning tool or software for help.
- Follow this page, you'll learn how to successfully burn an ISO image to a USB flash drive with a few simple clicks.
What Is ISO Image
Before we get started, let's have a brief understanding of what is ISO image file here:
In a word, an ISO image is a file containing all parts of an OS or a program that needs to be built. But the file itself is useless until it is opened, assembled, and used.
So what can ISO images be used for? Here is a list of the wide usages of ISO image files:
- Data transfer
- Data backup
- OS migration or system installation/reinstallation
- Program duplication, backup, migration, etc.
Moreover, the most widely way to make an ISO image work is to burn the ISO image to a USB drive. So why burn ISO images to a USB drive? Follow the next part, and you'll learn why.
Benefits of Burning ISO Image to USB
Here is a list of benefits of burning a desired ISO image to USB drive that you can take a deep view:
- USB is portable and versatile for use in many aspects.
- You can create a bootable Windows USB drive.
- You can repair a PC with the Windows ISO image burned on USB.
- You can make Windows ISO image bootable on USB for Windows transfer, system installation, or reinstallation.
So how do I make an ISO image burnt to a USB flash drive? And what should I prepare? Follow the next part, you'll learn the complete procedure with detailed guide steps. Now, click the link to learn the top five ISO Burners for Windows 10/11 in 2023.
How to Burn ISO Image to USB on Windows
Here in this part, we'll take Windows ISO image burning as an example to show you the complete guide on how to burn ISO image to USB drive on Windows computers.
And we'll break the procedure into three parts, as shown below:
#1. Make USB Drive Ready for ISO Image Burning
Note that burning Windows ISO image to USB drive has a specific file system format request, which is that you need to set the USB flash drive as FAT32 at first. Here is how to prepare USB drive ready:
Step 1. Connect a USB drive with 32GB or larger storage capacity to your PC.
Step 2. Open USB drive, and back up all valuable files to another location.
Step 3. Press Windows + I keys to open File Explorer, and right-click on the USB drive.
Step 4. Select the USB file system format as FAT32, and click "Format".
Step 5. Click "OK".
Some experienced users may suggest to burn ISO image to USB using Windows Media creation tool. However, as for Windows beginners, this way is too complex to follow.
Here we'll share with you a reliable ISO burning software - EaseUS Partition Master with its Burn ISO feature to accomplish this task in simple clicks.
Alongside burning ISO to USB, users can also use this software to set up USB for multiple different purposes, for example to:
- Format 128GB USB to FAT32
- Fix USB won't format to FAT32 error
- Format USB for PS4, PS5.
- Check file system error on USB, etc.
- Burn ISO to DVD
So how do I create a bootable USB from ISO image? Go to the next guide to start burning the ISO image to your USB drive now.
#3. Burn ISO to USB
To start burning the ISO to USB, you'll need to download the Windows ISO image on your PC first. Here is an official link where you can download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. Or, you can search the Windows ISO image file online and get secure access to download this image file.
After downloading the Windows ISO image on your PC, now, you are good to start burning ISO to USB with the steps here:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master and go to the Bootable Media section. Click "Burn ISO" and click "Next".
Step 2. Select the ISO image that you have downloaded on your PC, and click "Open".
Step 3. Click "Next" and select the target USB as destination and click "Burn" to execute the operation.
Bonus Tip: If you are interested in how to install the Windows operating system with the burnt ISO image on your USB drive, you can refer to this guide provided by Microsoft for help: Install Windows from USB.
Extended Reading: Fix Can't Burn ISO File to USB
Burning ISO to USB Is Easy, and You Can Do This with Correct Method
On this page, we simplified the procedure of burning ISO image to USB into 3 phrases:
- #1. Set up USB to FAT32
- #2. Download ISO burning software
- #3. Download ISO and burn ISO to USB in simple clicks
For experienced users, you can directly junk stage 2 and start burning ISO with stage 3 in the Microsoft Official method. However, as for Windows beginners, we suggest that you follow the above guidelines one by one. The entire procedure is easy and simple with the help of reliable ISO image burning software - EaseUS Partition Master.
FAQs About Burning ISO Image to USB
Here in this part, we also collected some bonus questions that are related to ISO image burning to USB, and if you are interested in, follow and find the answer here:
1. Can I burn ISO image to USB?
Yes, sure. You can directly burn a pre-downloaded ISO image to USB drive with the tips here:
- Connect USB to your PC.
- Format the USB to FAT32.
- Run an ISO image-burning tool like EaseUS Partition Master.
- Burn the ISO image to USB.
2. How to burn ISO to USB on Linux?
- Connect an USB to Linux computer.
- Run UNetbootin app on Linux computer.
- Select 'Diskimage' and select 'ISO file' and click 'Download'.
- click 'Open' and click 'USB Drive', click 'OK'.
3. How do I burn ISO to USB on Mac?
- Connect an USB drive to Mac computer.
- Go to Application, open Terminal utility.
- Type the next two command lines in Terminal and hit Enter each time:
- sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\
- *.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --**volume /Volumes/MyVolume
(Replace * with the name of your macOS - Catalina, Mojave, etc. Such as Big\Sur.app. Replace 'volume' 'my volume' with the name of your USB drive.)
- Press 'Y' key and hit the Return key.
- Click 'OK'.
4. Can I use Rufus to burn ISO to USB?
- Download Rufus and connect USB to your PC.
- Download the ISO image on your PC.
- Launch Rufus on PC and select ISO image, click 'Open'.
- Click 'START'.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More