There is no doubt over the fact that PlayStation 5 has changed the way we play games. It is the most used gaming console in the world. However, many users have complained about the limited internal storage of PS5. One way to resolve this problem is to use an external storage device. To enjoy the best gaming experience on PS5, you will need the fastest and most reliable external hard drive, such as M.2 SSD.
This article will take you through the detailed process of finding and choosing the right M.2 SSD. From understanding the essential requirements and compatibility factors to the actual installation and benchmark SSD PS5 procedures, we've got you covered. Here is a table regarding basic info for this procedure:
|⏱️Duration:||3-5 minutes of reading|
|🎯Goal:||Benchmark SSD for PS5|
|💻Supported Operating Systems:||Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 and older Windows OS and Windows Servers|
|💽Supported SSD Brands:||Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba, WD, Kingston, SanDisk, etc.|
#1. Get Everything Ready for Benchmarking SSD for PS5
Before we begin to benchmark SSD for PS5, there are things you need to get ready. Only with everything prepared you will be able to accurately benchmark your SSD for PS5. If you are ready, then follow this step-by-step tutorial as we walk you through the essential factors to prepare for a seamless SSD benchmarking process:
✔️Choosing the Right SSD
First and foremost, choosing the perfect SSD for your PS5 is crucial. You should opt for a PCIe 4.0 x4 model with read and write speeds of up to 5500MBps. As for storage, go for drive offering ample storage options ranging from 250GB to 4TB. This ensures optimal performance and plenty of room to house your growing collection of games.
💻Healthy PC with M.2 SSD Slots
Before diving into the benchmarking process, ensure your PC or laptop supports M.2 SSD slots. Most modern systems come equipped with these slots. However, it's always best to double-check to avoid any compatibility issues.
To upgrade your PS5's SSD, you'll need a trusty screwdriver. It is to open up the computer case or access the M.2 slot. Ensure you have the appropriate size and type of screwdriver for a smooth installation process.
🧬Reliable SSD Benchmarking Software
For accurate results and a comprehensive performance evaluation, we recommend obtaining reliable SSD benchmarking software. There are various free and paid options available online, each offering unique features and insights into your SSD's capabilities. Select the one that suits your preferences and needs the best.
#2. Benchmark SSD for PS5 [2023 Tutorial]
When it comes to benchmark SSD PS5, the most crucial part is choosing the right benchmark tool. You want a tool that provides accurate results so that you are able to judge the hard drive better. The one recommended tool for benchmarking SSDs is EaseUS Partition Master. It is a comprehensive software with a wide range of features.
Its DiskMark feature allows you to benchmark your M.2 SSD accurately to determine its suitability for your PS5. With this feature, you can gauge accurate random and sequential read and write speeds within seconds. You can download and use this tool for free to benchmark your SSD. Apart from benchmarking, this tool also provides numerous features regarding partition management.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master. And click the download button to activate the "DiskMark" feature under the "Discovery" section.
Step 2. Click on the drop-down box to choose the target drive, test data, and block size.
Step 3. Once everything is configured, click "Start" to begin the disk test. Then, you can see the Sequential or Random read/write speed, I/O, and Delay data.
Video Tutorial on Benchmark SSD Performance for PS5
Here, we also created a video tutorial that you can follow with an even clearer guide to test and benchmark the SSD speed.
Feel free to share this amazing tool to help more of your friends detect, monitor, and run SSD speed test online for free with just one simple click:
#3. Compare SSD Performance with Average Data and Decide If It's Qualified for PS5
After the procedure to benchmark SSD PS5 is complete, the next part is to judge the result.
1️⃣First of all, you will need to export benchmark results from EaseUS Partition Master.
2️⃣Once you have gotten the data in your hand, it is time to compare it with general data.
The general read and write speed for a good PS5 SSD should be greater than or equal to 5500Mbps. Compare the benchmark data you exported with the recommended speeds mentioned above.
- If your SSD's performance aligns with or exceeds the specified speeds, congratulations! Your selected SSD is more than qualified to handle gaming demands on your PS5.
- In case it is not up to the mark, you should consider changing the SSD. To ensure your gaming experience remains exceptional, some essential tips to keep your SSD in top-notch condition are given in the next tutorial:
If you want to download more games, the best solution is to upgrade PS5 SSD. This post will teach you how to do that and explain why we should do that.
Bonus Tips: Keeping SSD at Its Peak Performance for PS5
To maintain your SSD at its peak performance and optimize your gaming experience, follow these essential tips:
- 4K Align Your SSD (If Possible): If your SSD supports 4K alignment, ensure it is properly aligned. 4K alignment can improve read and write speeds, leading to better overall performance. For more details, refer to:
- Format SSD to the Correct File System for PS5 - exFAT: To ensure seamless compatibility with your PS5, you'll need to format a new SSD to exFAT file system. This ensures efficient data handling and prevents any potential issues during gaming sessions.
- Check If Your PS5 Has Heatsinks: If not, select an SSD with a heatsink; heat can impact SSD performance over time. If your PS5 lacks proper heatsinks for the SSD, consider investing in an SSD with an integrated heatsink or separately acquiring a compatible heatsink. This will help dissipate heat and maintain consistent performance.
Read Also: PS5 SSD Temperature Test: Do You Need a Heatsink?
- Leave Sufficient Free Space for PS5 to Load Games: Maintain a reasonable amount of free space on your SSD to allow the PS5 to manage game data efficiently. This helps prevent performance degradation and ensures smooth gameplay.
- Regularly Update Firmware and Drivers: Keep your SSD's firmware and drivers up to date to benefit from any performance improvements and bug fixes released by the manufacturer.
- Run Periodic Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation: Periodically run disk cleanup and defragmentation on your SSD to optimize storage and ensure faster access to game files.
- Avoid Overloading the SSD: Resist the temptation to overload your SSD with unnecessary files or applications. Keep it dedicated primarily to gaming and essential software for optimal performance.
- Install Games and Applications Wisely: When installing games and applications, prioritize the most frequently played ones on the SSD, while less-played ones can be stored on external storage to save space.
- Backup Your Data Regularly: While SSDs are generally reliable, it's good practice to back up your essential game saves and data regularly, just in case.
To sum up, enhancing your PS5's SSD can revolutionize your gaming experience, taking it to unparalleled heights. Before choosing the ideal SSD for your console, it is crucial to thoroughly benchmark SSD PS5 for its performance, guaranteeing it meets the necessary standards. For users seeking a user-friendly and efficient solution, we wholeheartedly recommend EaseUS Partition Master with its powerful DiskMark feature.
EaseUS Partition Master simplifies the benchmarking process and provides bonus tips to optimize your SSD's performance further. From monitoring disk health to checking and formatting the correct file system (exFAT) for PS5, the software offers comprehensive tools to keep your SSD running at its peak. Additionally, EaseUS Partition Master supports 4K alignment, a crucial step to enhance read and write speeds.
FAQs About SSD Benchmark for PS5
Have questions about SSD benchmarking for your PS5? Look no further! Below, we address some common FAQs to help you find answers and make informed decisions:
1. What is the best SSD for PS5?
Finding the best SSD for your PS5 depends on various factors. These include read and write speeds, storage capacity, and compatibility with your console. We recommend benchmarking different SSDs to compare their performance and choose the one that meets the recommended speeds for a seamless gaming experience.
2. Is an SSD good for PS5?
Absolutely! Upgrading to an SSD for your PS5 can significantly improve load times, reduce game-loading lag, and enhance overall performance. SSDs offer faster data access, allowing you to enjoy your favorite games with minimal waiting.
3. Do I need to get an SSD for PS5 with a heatsink?
Although not absolutely mandatory, having an SSD with a built-in heatsink or adding a separate heatsink can prove advantageous, particularly when your PS5 doesn't have adequate cooling for the SSD. By dissipating heat effectively, a heatsink ensures that the SSD maintains optimal temperatures, resulting in consistent performance even during prolonged gaming sessions.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More