Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10/11
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
# 1. Quick fixes for "Folder is not accessible. Access is denied":
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Change Ownership||Right-click inaccessible folder > "Properties" > "Security" > "Advanced"...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Check Permissions||Right-click the folder > "Properties" > "Security" > "Group or user names"...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Remove Encryption||Right-click the folder > "Properties" > "General" > "Advanced" > Uncheck "Encrypt contents to secure data"...Full steps|
# 2. Fixes for "D:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." error:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Recover Data from Drive||Run EaseUS data recovery software > Scan inaccessible drive > Recover data...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Change Ownership||Right-click inaccessible drive > "Properties" > "Security" > "Advanced" > "Edit"...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Check Disk Error||Run Command Prompt as administrator > Type chkdsk N: /f /r (Replace N with the drive letter of your disk)...Full steps|
What Is Access Denied Error in Windows 10/8/7
It seems that a majority of Windows users have confronted the exact problem when trying to open a folder or a specified document, image, or video file. The error messages may differ from issue to issue, for example:
- XXX folder is not accessible. Access is denied.
- Location is not available. D:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.
- Access denied.
- You don't currently have permission to access this folder.
If you are getting such a problem, take it easy. Here we will show you some practical ways to solve two kinds of access denied troubles: file/folder access denied, and USB or external hard drive access denied.
Issue 1. File/Folder Is Not Accessible, Access Denied
"Lately, I frequently get an error while trying to open any folder in File Explorer, it says folder is not accessible, access is denied. I can not access, change, save, or delete files and folders with the error messages. How can I resolve these issues and access work with my files and folders? I'm so worried about losing my folder contents."
What Causes File/Folder Access Denied
- Folder ownership has changed.
- You do not have the appropriate permissions
- The file/folder is encrypted.
- The file/folder is corrupted.
- The user profile is corrupted.
Solution 1. Take Ownership of the File or Folder
If you cannot open a file or folder after you install a new version of Windows, the reason may be the changes in account information. Therefore, you may no longer have ownership of some files or folders. You might be able to resolve this issue by restoring your ownership of the files and folders.
1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, then choose "Properties".
2. Click "Security" > "Advanced" > "Change". If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password.
3. Type the name of the user that you want to give ownership to, and then click "Check Names" and "OK".
4. If you want this person to be the owner of the files and subfolders that are contained in this folder, select the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox. Then, click "OK" to confirm.
Solution 2. Check Permissions on a File or Folder
If you don't have the appropriate permissions, you may also experience the access denied issue. Follow the steps below to check permissions on a file or folder.
1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click "Properties" > "Security" tab.
2. Under "Group or user names", click your name to see the permissions that you have. To access a file or folder, you have to have the "Read" permission.
3. To change the permissions of a file or folder, you must be logged on as an administrator. Click "Edit" under Group or user names, click your name, select the checkboxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click "OK".
Solution 3. Check Whether a File or Folder Is Encrypted
You cannot open an encrypted file or folder unless using the password or certificate. To determine whether a file or folder is encrypted, follow these steps.
1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties > General tab > Advanced.
2. If the "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox is selected, you have to have the certificate that was used to encrypt the file or folder to be able to open it. You can uncheck "Encrypt contents to secure data" to decrypt the file system. To decrypt a file, read the related article.
Solution 4. Repair Corrupted Files or Folders
The files can become corrupted for several reasons, such as computer crashes, repeated delete recovery, or sudden power outage. Most corrupted files cannot be repaired. But for photos, you can try to repair corrupted JPEG files with a file recovery tool.
If a folder is damaged, you can still recover data from the specific folder by using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, a top-ranking data recovery software on the market.
Issue 2. Hard Drive Is Not Accessible. Access Is Denied
In addition to the file/folder access denied problem, you might also meet USB flash drive or external hard drive access denied error in Windows 10/8/7 as the sample image shows. Here are common error messages.
- Drive is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
- Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.
- Drive is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.
Whatever error message you see, as a result, you can't access the files and folders stored on the drive. Don't worry, try the following approaches to troubleshoot.
Solution 1. Recover Data from Inaccessible Drive
Before fixing the hard drive is not accessible error, you should first recover the data from the problematic hard drive to ensure data safety. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can search through a hard disk or partition for all lost, deleted, hidden, and inaccessible files with simple 3 clicks. It's ideal file recovery software, especially when you're not given the proper access to an unreadable or inaccessible data file on Windows.
Step 1. Select the location and scan lost folder
To recover the whole lost folder, select a hard drive, external device and click "Scan".
To recover lost files from a folder, move to "Select Folder" and click "Browse" to choose the exact folder where you lost files and click "OK". Wait and let this program to scan and find your lost folder and files.
Step 2. Find and preview the found folder with files
Find the found folder in "Deleted Files", "Other Lost Files > Files Lost Original Name" or you can use "Search" to quickly find your lost folder by searching the folder name. Double click found files to preview them.
Step 3. Restore and save the found folder with files
Select the found folder with files, click "Recover" and browse to save this folder back to a secure location on your PC. Click "OK" to start the recovery.
After exporting the data from the USB or external hard drive, you can continue to resolve the access denied matter.
Solution 2. Take Ownership of the USB or External Hard Drive
1. Right-click on the inaccessible hard drive, select "Properties".
2. Go to the "Security" tab, hit "Advanced", then click the "Edit" button. On the "Owner" tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
Solution 3. Check and Repair Disk Error
The "Drive is not accessible. Access Denied" issue might suggest that file system corruption, disk errors, corruptions, or bad sectors. In this case, you can run CHKDSK to fix the problem.
1. Plugin your external hard drive, USB drive, or memory card to your PC.
2. Type CMD in the Search box. Right-click and choose "Run as administrator".
3. In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r. (Here E is the drive letter of the disk which shows the "drive is not accessible" error.)
If command line is not your ideal choice, you can apply this command-line alternative tool - EaseUS CleanGenius. Use this one-click tool to fix the file system error on your hard drive.
Step 1. DOWNLOAD EaseUS CleanGenius on your computer for free.
Step 2. Run the software. Click "Optimization" on the left panel, and then choose "File Showing" .
Step 3. Go to "Choose drive" and select the drive with a file system error. Check the "Check and fix file system error" option and click "Execute".
Step 4. Wait the EaseUS CleanGenius completes the repairing process. After that, click the "here" to view the result.
In this article, we've discussed access denied error in two categories: one is folder is not accessible, and the other is a drive is not accessible. In both cases, we describe specific scenarios, reasons, and solutions. We hope these solutions are useful to you. Finally, again, whatever the problem, securing your data should be the first step. So, don't forget to use the data recovery software to take out the data before you fix the problem.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
Author Jean has been writing tech articles since she was graduated from university. She has been part of the EaseUS team for over 5 years. Her special focuses are data recovery, disk partitioning, data space optimization, data backup and Mac OS. By the way, she's an aviation fan!
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More