- 01 Can a Crashed Hard Drive Be Recovered
- 02 Hard Drive Data Recovery Software
- 03 Hard Drive Recovery Service
- 04 Recover Formatted Hard Drive
- 05 Recover Deleted Files from Hard Drive
- 06 External Hard Drive Recovery Software
- 07 Recover Seagate External Hard Drive
- 08 Western Digital Data Recovery
- 09 SSD Drive Recovery
- 10 GPT Parition Recovery
- 11 Mac Hard Drive Recovery
- 12 Toshiba Hard Drive Recovery
- 13 Laptop Hard Drive Recovery
- 14 Recover Data from Dead Hard Drive
- 15 HDD Data Recovery Cost
Corrupted Hard Drive Recovery Overview
Have you ever come across the problem of a corrupted hard drive? When a hard drive is corrupted, you can no longer use it, although it does show as a disk. And you may find the following typical symptoms:
- Invalid media type reading drive.
- Abort, Retry, Fail?
- The file system is displayed as "RAW".
- Windows may ask if you want to format the drive by warning "disk not formatted. Do you want to format now?"
- File names contain "weird" characters.
- "Sector not found" messages.
How to recover files from a corrupted hard drive if it contains essential files and folders? Can I fix the damaged hard disk without losing data? Yes. This tutorial shows you the most effective way to recover data from a corrupted hard drive or external hard drive with the top-notch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. What's more, you can also learn the full guide to fix corrupted hard drives without formatting.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a user-friendly interface for you to recover files from the corrupted hard drive and external hard drive without effort.
Note: If you cannot boot the computer after the system hard drive is corrupted, you can create a WinPE bootable CD/DVD of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover the corrupted hard drive.
Step 1. Scan the hard drive partition
Select the drive on your hard disk where you lost or deleted files. Click "Scan" and let EaseUS data recovery software scan for all lost data and files on the selected drive.
Step 2. Check the results
When the scan completes, you can apply the "Filter" feature or click the "Search files or folders" option to find the lost files on the hard drive.
Step 3. Restore lost hard drive data
Select wanted files that you lost on the drive and click "Recover" to save them to another location.
If you have difficulty in using data recovery software, you can ask data recovery experts for help.
EaseUS Disk Repair and Recovery ServicesClick here to contact our experts for a free evaluation
Consult with EaseUS data recovery experts for one-on-one manual recovery service. We could offer the following services after a FREE diagnosis.
- Fix HDD, SSD, external hard drive, USB flash drive errors, and restore data from all RAID levels
- Recover lost partitions that cannot be restored by data recovery software
- Fix disks that cannot be read or accessed because of bad sectors
- Fix disks that become GPT-protected partitions
- Wipe data, unformat hard drive, Install/uninstall software or driver, etc.
After restoring lost files from the corrupted hard disk drive, how to deal with the corrupted hard disk? Let it go? Just give it up? Nope! Here below, we'll provide you a few tips for you to try and repair the corrupted hard drive.
Tip 1. Use a Free Partition Management tool to Repair a Corrupted Hard Drive
The first way to fix and repair corrupted hard drives is by using the EaseUS free partition manager, which can automatically check and repair the corrupted file system and bad sectors with a click. This partition management software helps you create, resize/move, clone, merge, and format partitions with the simplest solutions.
Step 1. Right-click the target partition that has a problem.
Step 2. Choose "Advanced" > "Check File System".
Step 3. Confirm if you want to hide the partition or not.
Step 4. In the Check File System window, check the "Try to fix errors if found" option.
Step 5. Click "Start" to check errors on your partition.
Tip 2. Fix Corrupted Hard Drive Using CMD
If the hard disk drive has bad sectors or internal errors, the hard disk can corrupt easily. If you know how to run the CHKDSK command on your PC, it will be effortless for you to fix the hard disk issue. Let's see how to run CHKDSK and repair the corrupted hard disk drive now:
- Press Win + X, and select "Command Prompt (Admin)".
- Click "Yes" to launch Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type chkdsk and hit "Enter" to check errors in the corrupted hard drive.
- Type chkdsk C: /f /r/x to let CHKDSK fix the drive. (C is the drive letter of your corrupted hard drive)
If the target drive is a boot disk, the system will ask you to run the command before the next boot. Type yes and hit "Enter" to restart the computer. The command will run before the operating system loads, allowing it to access the disk and repair the corrupted drive fully.
Tip 3. Run a Disk Check to Fix Corrupted Hard Disk
- Open This PC or Computer, right-click the hard drive, and select "Properties".
- Click "Tools" and click "Check".
- Select "Check local disk" and click "Start".
- Close all running and open programs, and select the option to let the system check upon the next boot.
- After this, restart the PC.
If it reports that your drive has 'bad sectors or clusters', don't worry. CHKDSK command in Tip One will fix this issue.
Tip 4. Repair the Corrupted System Drive from the Control Panel
- Press Win + X, and select "Control Panel".
- Click "System and Security" > tab "Action Center" > expand "Maintenance" and click "Run Scan".
- Click "Restart".
It's Easy to Make a Corrupted Hard Drive Recovery
After all these steps, you can successfully recover data from a corrupted hard drive and fix the corrupted hard disk issue with useful methods. Now you can reuse the hard disk drive to store and save data again. If you face a similar problem on your corrupted hard drive, external hard drive, or USB storage devices, don't worry. Just follow this article to get your problem fixed without losing any data.
Corrupted Hard Drive Recovery FAQ
Here are 4 additional questions about how to recover data from a corrupted hard disk. Check here for the answers.
1. How to recover the corrupted hard drive by myself?
- You can repair the corrupted Windows hard drive with an antivirus program. You can use Windows Defender or other third-party solutions to remove the infection and repair your hard drive.
- Use Command Prompt to repair the corrupted Windows hard drive, and then use the CHKDSK command to check and repair the disk.
- Select a file system repair tool to fix the damaged Windows hard drive.
2. Can a corrupted hard drive be recovered?
A damaged hard disk can be recovered with professional data recovery software such as EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Install the EaseUS hard disk recovery software on your computer. Start up and select the damaged hard drive to scan for lost files.
3. How can I recover my corrupted hard drive for free?
Steps to free data recovery from a corrupted hard drive:
- Download and install the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for free.
- Launch EaseUS data recovery software and choose the faulty hard disk to scan.
- Preview and recover the files from the corrupted hard drive.
4. Can formatting HDD fix a corrupted hard drive?
Yes, that is one option to consider. A full format will completely clean the hard drive, rebuild all its file structures, and scan the disk to ensure everything is in working order. However, this operation results in data loss.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Evan Galasso is a digital forensics and data recovery engineer with over 10 years of experience in the field. He presents opinions on the current state of storage media, reverse engineering of storage systems and firmware, and electro-mechanical systems of SSDs and HDDs.
Jean/Sep 14, 2023
Dany/Aug 31, 2023
Tracy King/Aug 29, 2023
Brithny/Jul 20, 2023