Why need to clone Windows 7 hard drive to a new one
Have you just upgraded your operating system from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 7 on your old hard drive? However, after installation, you may find that there is not enough space on your hard drive and you always get an error message "Low disk space" popping up every minute.
This problem may be solved with the free partition manager software by extending the system partition with the free space. However, if your old disk runs out of space and all the files on the hard drive such as your precious photos, favorite films, etc. cannot be deleted, then you need to upgrade to a new and bigger drive.
In this situation, a professional disk clone and backup software working with Windows 7 will help to upgrade the old disk to a new and bigger one with all the content with you.
Best Windows 7 disk cloning software
EaseUS Todo Backup enables you to clone or move windows 7 to a new drive. Moreover, its latest version has been released such as Windows 10/8.1/8, etc are all supported.
Besides upgrading to new hard disk, if you want to buy a new computer to replace your old one, EaseUS Todo Backup with recover to dissimilar hardware function would allow you to migrate your data to the new computer without reinstalling the windows.
Actually, the way to clone Windows system disk or other non-system disks to a new one would be much safer and more convenient than reinstall Windows and load all applications all over again. Please follow the detailed step-by-step instructions to clone the disk. Before that, you may download and install a full version of this software and then start.
How to clone Windows 7 disk with best EaseUS
01. Connect A Second Hard Drive
Tools you need: a screwdriver, a Power Splitter Adapter cable, a SATA cable or an USB to SATA adapter. Make sure the target HDD/SSD is larger than the used space of the current drive. For M.2 SSD, you need to idenfity if there is a PCIe slot for connection.
- Connect the target disk to your computer.
- For desktop, open the mainframe with screwdriver and connect the disk to the mainboard with a SATA cable, then connect the disk's Power Splitter Adapter Cable into the power supply box.
- For laptop, you can use an USB to SATA adapter to connect the disk.
- Initialize a new HDD/SSD to MBR or GPT before you can use it (To keep the target new disk the same style as that of the current disk).
02. Download a Disk Cloning Utility
EaseUS Todo Backup is the cloning software that integrates multiple functions, including system/disk clone, backup, restoring , and system transfer, etc. In the disk clone field, this tool stands out due to the following aspects:
- Covers as many as disk cloning demands, such as update hard drive to a larger one, clone OS, etc.
- Disk cloning has the highest success rate among all similar products on the market.
- Supports all kinds of disk types, including IDE, EIDE, SATA, ESATA, ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0.
- Supports cloning of basic/dynamic disks and MBR/GPT disks.
03. Get Ready with the Clone Procedures
System Clone: Choose System Clone > choose the destination disk > click Next to start. In Advanced options, you can choose the option of Create a portable Windows USB drive to clone the system to a USB drive.
Disk/Partition Clone: Choose Clone > Select the resource disk or partition > Select the target disk > Click Next to start.
04. Boot from the Clone Hard Drive
Option 1. If you want to keep both the old disk and the new disk
- Restart PC and press F2 (F8,F10, DEL...) to enter BIOS settings.
- In the Boot option, select new HDD/SSD as the new boot drive.
- Exit BIOS and restart the computer.
Option 2. If you want to only keep the new disk
- Unplug the old disk and make sure the new disk is well connected.
- Restart your computer.
- Option 2 is a better hard drive retention plan for laptops
Tips: If you want to boot the computer from the cloned disk, please use Disk clone function, because only cloning C partition cannot ensure you can boot the computer from the cloned disk.
Besides cloning disk, EaseUS also provides file backup, disk backup, full backup, incremental backup, differential backup, schedule backup, etc. features to protect your data.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!