Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Seagate external hard drive not working, is it showing up?
Seagate is a big brand of hard drive storage which is favored by worldwide customers. Many people tend to use a Seagate external hard drive of 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, for example, as a backup drive. Every big brand has its issues after a long term use, particularly with frequently improper use, such as incompatible bundled software with a newer operating system, a connection on multiple computers, unsafe ejection, physical vibration, etc. As a consequence, the Seagate external hard drive is not working anymore.
When a hard drive, or an external one, is not working, it means that you cannot use it to save new data, or even cannot access the present data, either. Therefore, to fix a not working Seagate external hard drive without losing data, you must know very clearly how to examine problems, fix different-level damage, and in what circumstance you're going to suffer data loss.
Let's address issue step by step, from basic checking to advanced troubleshooting. First, when the connected Seagate drive is not detected or not showing up in Windows Explorer, try these basic troubleshooting steps as below.
- Change a USB port on your computer
- Change a different data cable if possible.
- Is there the other computer nearby? Connect the drive to the other computer.
- Verify the Seagate external hard drive light is blinking or not. No light means the power adapter is not connected to power.
- Change a power outlet if no light is on, or perhaps you need to plug the power adapter directly to the wall outlet.
After some basic troubleshooting, if the hard drive shows up again, you don't need to worry much about losing data. But always remember to back up hard drive data before it's too late, EaseUS Todo Backup Free allows for an automatic backup scheme on schedule.
If no success, you must have some further troubleshooting to make the Seagate external hard drive appear in Windows and work as normal. This time, go to Windows Disk Management, check the hard drive's status there.
- Step 1: Press Windows + R keys, type compmgmt.msc in Run and hit Enter.
- Step 2: In Computer Management, click Disk Management on the left, and view the disk information that represents your Seagate external hard drive.
If you're lucky enough to see the disk showing there, even displaying as strange characters including "Unallocated", "RAW", "Disk unknown, not initialized", take it easy. Seagate external hard drive in these circumstances is neither accessible nor opening, but you can try to recover data with the help of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. The linked pages are with corresponding solutions, and they are 100% applicable to the Seagate external hard drive as well.
What if there is no sign of Seagate external hard drive in Disk Management? In this case, you need to move on to explore the storage device in Device Manager.
- Step 1: In the same way to open Computer Management, and this time click Device Manager on the left.
- Step 2: Locate the Seagate external hard drive's name under the Disk drives, check and view its status.
- Step 3: If the drive was not detected under Disk drives, try to look for any entries called unknown device, other device or mass storage device with a yellow exclamation icon.
- Step 4: Right-click on the drive and choose Properties.
- Step 5: You may see an error code 10, error code 28 or error code 43 under the General tab.
- Step 6: Return to the Device Manager, in the right place, right-click on the drive with the issue and select Uninstall > Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Step 7: Shut down your computer and disconnect the Seagate external hard drive. Wait for a while, reboot the computer, plug the drive into a different port again, and you should see that Windows is installing the device drivers.
How to recover data from not working Seagate external hard drive
After fixing the Seagate external hard drive which fails to respond or react, you shall now check whether you can access your data in the drive or not. Whenever you wish to recover data from a not working Seagate external hard drive, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is worth your try. It's dependable, powerful yet easy-to-use hard drive data recovery software that owns a high reputation in the world.
It comes in handy when you cannot open the Seagate external hard drive that shows as unallocated, RAW or unknown. Since Windows Disk Management can recognize the drive, so can EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Just download the software and run it on your Windows/Mac computer, let it scan the hard drive and find the inaccessible data.
Moreover, if you've tried to format the RAW external hard drive to NTFS/FAT32, it's still working to recover data from a formatted hard drive partition. Now, it's your turn to run the software for a full Seagate hard drive data recovery.
Step 1. Locate Seagate drive to scan
- Use the correct USB cable to connect the Seagate external hard drive to your Windows PC.
- Run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, it will load the external drive and display it under the Devices section.
- All you need to do here is to select the Seagate external hard drive and then click the Scan button.
Step 2. Check for the scan results
As soon as the scan process starts, the software will find more and more lost data on the selected drive and display the data in the scan results. You can find the desired files by following its original path from the leftside tree-view pane, or filter a specific file type like Pictures, Word/Excel/PDF documents, videos, etc.
Step 3. Preview and recover
A double-click on a file lets you preview its content. If the preview is with no problem, just select the target files and click Recover. To avoid data overwriting, we suggest you save the recovered data to the other drive instead of the original Seagate drive.
You can also check this video tutorial to see how to recover external hard drive data.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More