Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
When your external hard drive becomes unallocated, relax! Follow solutions on this page to fix external hard drive unallocated errors without losing any data.
How to access unallocated external hard drive data
"Hey there, do you know how to fix an external hard drive with an unallocated error? My 1TB WD external hard drive suddenly shows up as unallocated in Disk Management on my PC. I don't want to format it for that I've saved quite a lot of important files on it.
I cannot access saved data on the unallocated external hard drive, either. Help me please."
So how does your external hard drive become unallocated? Here is a list of reasons that may cause external hard drive or storage devices unallocated:
- File system and internal device error
- Improper operations
- Virus attack
- Outdated disk driver
If you are experiencing the same issue on an external hard drive, USB drive, SD card or memory card, etc., stop using the device. In the following, you'll learn how to restore data, repair the unallocated external hard drive and tips to avoid the unallocated issue.
Part 1. Restore data from unallocated external hard drive
As most users use an external hard drive to save valuable files and essential data. And when the external hard drive becomes unallocated, to restore data becomes the top priority.
With the help of professional data recovery software such as EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, you still have a chance to recover data from the drive. How?
This software enables you to recover lost data from unallocated space on a hard drive or external hard drive with ease. Download EaseUS hard disk recovery software here and follow the guide below to restore data:
Activation is required when you tend to restore all found files. Also, remember to save the recovered data to another secure device.
Step 1. Choose the external hard drive
- Since you're going to recover data from an external hard drive, you need to correctly connect the drive to your Windows computer.
- Run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and choose the exact external drive where you lost data.
- Click Scan.
Step 2. Check the scan results
The software will immediately start scanning the selected drive for all lost data. During the scan, you can see more and more data showing up in the results. The Filter feature is there for you to quickly locate the files of one kind, such as Pictures, Word/Excel/PDF documents, Videos, etc.
Step 3. Preview and recover data
- Double-clicking a file will allow you to preview its content.
- Choose the file(s) and click Recover.
- Select a different drive to save the recovered files instead of the original one.
Video Tutorial of External Hard Drive Data Recovery
Part 2. Repair unallocated external hard drive
It's easy to fix the external hard drive unallocated issue. All you need is to create a new partition on the external hard drive, set NTFS or FAT32 as its file system.
Here, you can try two free methods provided below for help.
# 1. [Automated] Repair unallocated external hard drive with partition manager freeware
By creating a new partition on the unallocated external hard drive with a compatible file system, users can store files on the device again.
Free partition manager software like EaseUS Partition Master Free supports to do so within 3 steps:
- If you want to create a partition on an empty USB, SD card or external hard drive, connect it to your PC in advance.
Step 1: Launch EaseUS Partition Master
On the main window, right-click on the unallocated space of your external storage device and select "Create".
Step 2: Adjust the new partition size, file system, label, etc.
Set the size, partition label, drive letter, file system (NTFS), etc. for the new partition and click "OK" to continue.
Step 3: Confirm to create a new partition
After this, you can save the previously restored data back to the external hard drive and even save more files on it again.
# 2. [Manual] Create a new partition on external hard drive with Disk Management
Another free method that you can try is to create a partition on the unallocated device by using Disk Management. Be careful while following steps here to fix the unallocated external hard drive issue:
- Step 1: Connect the unallocated external hard drive to PC, enter Disk Management.
- Right-click on This PC/My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.
- Step 2: Locate and right-click on the unallocated space of the external hard drive, select "New Simple Volume".
- Step 3: Set partition size, drive letter and file system (NTFS), etc.
- Step 4: Click "Finish" to complete the process.
After this, you'll be able to use the external hard drive to save and store important data again. You can also transfer the previously restored data back into the external hard drive again.
Tips to prevent external hard drive from becoming unallocated
Here are some practical tips that you can follow to prevent further unallocated errors from happening on your external hard drive and other storage devices:
- 1. Update external hard drive driver.
- 2. Repair file system error on external hard drive with CHKDSK or EaseUS partition manager software.
- 3. Run anti-virus software to clean up viruses in PC and external hard drive.
- 4. Use storage devices and unplug carefully from your PC.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More