Page Table of Contents
Are you looking for a complete guide to back up Windows Server content? Then, we'll provide you with the complete guide that will help you install and back up the Window Server successfully on this page.
Windows Server Backup, known as WSB, is a Windows Server system's backup and recovery featured tool. It provides a data backup option to Windows Server users to successfully create backup images on the Server computer and protect business content from disasters.
Windows Server Backup is now available in Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012/2008, etc.
So how to install and make use of Windows Server Backup in your Server computer? Let's get started with the following guides.
Step 1. Launch Windows Server Manager, click "Manage" at the right top corner, click "Add Roles and Features".
Step 2. At the Add Roles and Features Wizard, click "Features", tick "Windows Server Backup" and click "Next".
Step 3. Click "Install" at the confirmation window.
After this, you've successfully installed Windows Server Backup. You can then apply its features to start backup your content on Windows Server computers.
Here is a list of Windows Server Backup features that you can apply for Server computer data backup:
- Backup Schedule
- Backup Once
- Recover backup
- Backup full server
- Costume to backup volumes or files
Here we'll show you how to back up Windows Server content with the following steps.
Step 1. Type wbadmin.msc in the search menu and open Windows Server Backup.
Step 2. Click "Local Backup" on the Windows Server Backup left pane, and click "Backup Once".
Step 3. Click "Next" on the Getting Started window.
Step 4. Click "Select Backup Configuration" and click "Full server", click "Next" to continue.
Step 5. Select "Specify Destination Type", and select the destination where you want to store the backups, such as:
- Back up to a hard disk is dedicated for backups
- Back up to a volume
- Back up to a shared network folder
And then, click "Next" to continue.
Step 6. Click "OK" to confirm, and click "Finish" at the confirmation window.
Aside from backing up the entire Server data, you can also select to back up specific drives or volumes in the Server computer at the Select Items for Backup column:
If you want to create a scheduled backup in Windows Server Backup, you can click "Specify Backup Time" to set up the plan.
Here is a limit of Windows Server Backup limitations that you need to be aware of:
- Doesn't support Virtual hard drive backup.
- Support Hyper-V, but VMware and other hypervisors are not fully supported.
- Only store one backup to a network shared drive.
Based on these limits, is there an alternative solution that can efficiently replace Windows Server Backup and allow you to back up anything in your Windows Server flexibly, even including applications, settings, etc.?
Sure! Third-party Windows Server Backup software is professional and capable of helping. Here we'd like to introduce you to a reliable tool - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician
- ☆ Deploy & install Todo PCTrans on multiple PCs.
- Transfer unlimited files, programs, apps between Servers.
- Transfer account, domain account, and settings.
- Data rescue, find product key of installed programs.
- One license for multiple PCs.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician is a basic file and app transfer software that you can apply this software to:
- Transfer files from Windows Server to Server
- Clean up system C drive
- Migrate user profile to a new Server computer
- Find Windows and installed program product keys
Aside from these features, you can also apply this software with its Backup and Restore feature to effectively backup anything like data, applications, and even account and settings in the Windows Server with success.
Step 1. Create a backup file.
1. Connect your USB (flash) drive/external hard drive to your source computer. Launch Todo PCTrans, click "Backup & Restore > Start" on the main screen.
2. Select "Data Backup" to move on.
3. Hover over "Applications", "Files" and "Accounts" columns to choose the specific data, applications, etc., and click "Back up" to create a backup file.
Step 2. Recover via the created backup file.
1. Plugin your USB drive which stores the created backup file to the target PC and open EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Click "Backup & Restore > Start > Data Restore".
2. Click "Browse" to locate the Image file. Then, choose "Restore" and go to the next step.
3. Now, you can select Applications/Files/Accounts you want to restore.
Over on Applications, Files, or Accounts to choose the specific data you want transfer flexibly. Click "Restore" to confirm. Besides, you can also click the "Migration Settings" icon to change the target path to recover and save the files.
On this page, we've provided you a full guide of how to install and use Windows Server Backup or Windows Server Backup alternative software to back up an entire Windows Server content to a local hard drive. Either method helps execute a successful Server computer backup, and you need to pick and follow the correct solution for help.
If you prefer to back up partial or the entire content on the Server computer, you can navigate to the "Select Items for Backup" option for help.
If you tend to back up some essential content, applications, and even Server computer accounts and settings, EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician is exactly what you need.
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More