Page Table of Contents
Reviews and Awards
How Do I Transfer Files from Windows Server to Windows Server?
Whenever you are working with multiple Windows servers, there comes a use case where you have to transfer files between them. But transferring files between servers is not as straightforward as you do with traditional copy-paste methods.
Therefore, you need other ways to copy files between Windows Servers. Below is the list of ways to help Windows Server users to transfer files between Server computers in Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012 and more.
Method 1. Windows Server Files Transfer Software.
Method 1. Transfer Files from Windows Server to Windows Server Using File Transfer Software
Whenever you are trying to transfer files between Windows Servers, the most feasible choice is to go for automated file transfer software. They help you to transfer files between servers with easy steps.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician is professional automated file transfer software that can help you to transfer files between Windows Servers. It allows you to easily share and transfer files, applications, data, computer settings, and even Windows Server accounts to another Server.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician
- ☆ Deploy & install Todo PCTrans on multiple PCs.
- Transfer unlimited files, programs, apps between Servers.
- Transfer account, domain account, and settings.
- Data rescue, find product key of installed programs.
- One license for multiple PCs.
Apart from its extensive file transfer functionalities, it also allows you to transfer files between server computers with and without a network. Follow the guide below to use this software to transfer files between Windows Servers.
Option 1. Transfer Files from Server to Server with Network
Step 1. Open EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both of your computers. Choose "PC to PC" to go to the next step.
Step 2. Make sure you have chosen the right transfer direction.
"New" - Move data from old computer to current new computer.
"Old" - Move data from current old n computer to remote new computer.
Step 3. Connect two PCs via the network by entering the password or verification code of the target PC. Besides, make sure you have chosen the right transfer direction and click "Connect" to continue.
The verification code is on the right top of the "PC to PC" main screen on the target computer.
Step 4. Then, choose "Files" to select files to transfer. Select the specific files as you want. What's more, you can click the Edit icon to customize the storage path for transferred data.
Step 5. Now, click "Transfer" to begin to transfer files from PC to PC. The size of the file determines the transfer time. Wait patiently.
Option 2. Transfer Files Between Server Computers without Network
Step 1. Create a backup file to transfer
- Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on the source PC. Click "Backup & Restore" and click "Start" to go on.
- Choose "Data Backup" and click "Next". Name the backup file, and set the external USB drive as the backup location.
- Click the "Files" section to choose files. Then, click "Backup" to wait for the process to complete.
When the creating process has completed, click "OK" to confirm. Safely eject the USB drive and connect it to the target PC. Move to recover the backup of files to the new PC using USB.
Step 2. Restore and transfer backup files to PC without network
- Connect the external USB drive with the file created from the source PC to the target PC. Launch PCTrans, click "Backup & Restore" > "Start" > "Data Restore" > "Next".
- Click "Browse" to find the image file in your USB drive. Then, choose the correct backup file and click "Restore" to continue.
- Choose specific files and click "Restore".
Method 2. Transfer Files from Server to Server Using FTP
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a way that two computers on a network share files. In our case, FTP can help transfer files from Windows Server to Windows Server by creating an FTP connection.
Follow the below steps to create an FTP connection and then transfer files from Server to Server using FTP:
Step 1: On your computer, open File Explorer. Once opened, select This PC and right-click on the empty area and select the "Add a network location".
Step 2: A new window pop-up will appear. Select the "Choose a custom network location" button.
Step 3: You need to enter the FTP server address on the next screen, which looks like ftp://server.com.
Once done, you need to enter the username and password for the FTP server. You can also choose the "Log on anonymously" for limited access.
Step 4: Enter the name of your network location. The network location name will be used to set the network location link for your PC.
Step 5: Transfer files by copy-pasting them inside the created FTP server folder.
Method 3. Transfer Files Between Windows Server Computers Using SCP Command Line
SCP technique is based on SSH. SSH is Secure Shell which gives an SSH key or password for authenticating the remote systems. You need to be careful with this method as it can overwrite files between two Windows Servers without warning for the file with the same name.
Follow the below steps:
Step 1: Press Windows + R simultaneously, type "cmd", and press enter.
Step 2: Open the command line and then type related contexts acoording to your demand.
- Transfer files from a Local Windows Server to a Remote Windows Server, type scp [OPTION] local-file-or-directory [email protected]:/directory/
- Transfer files from a Remote Windows Server to a Local Windows Server, type scp [OPTION] [email protected]:/remote-file /local-directory/
- Transfer files between two Remote Windows Server, type scp [OPTION] [email protected]:/directory/ [email protected]:/directory/
You need to replace the bracket arguments with your desired paths.
Understanding the SCP Command Arguments:
The general syntax for the SCP command is: scp [OPTIONS] [SOURCE] [DESTINATION]. You can add the (@:) to add the server address.
- [user]: You need to replace this argument with the username of your remote server.
- [remote_host]: Enter your remote server address. It can be an IP address or domain name.
- [file_path]: Your local file path.
- [remote_file_path]: The path for the file on your remote server.
- [local_dir]: Your directory on your local Windows Server.
- [remote_dir]: The remote server directory path.
Which Is The Easiest Way to Transfer Files from Windows Server to Windows Server?
In the previous section, you have seen three methods that let you transfer files from Windows Server to Windows Server. However, the choice to choose the best method depends on various factors.
Comparison between three methods
The above three methods can be compared on factors such as price, transfer speed, and content that you can transfer. See the below table to see the detailed comparison of the methods.
|Method Name||price||transfer speed||transfer content|
|EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician File Transfer Software||Free trial available but costs $399.0 per year||Fast||Files, applications, account settings, user files, system settings|
|FTP Connection||Free||Medium||Files only|
|SCP Command||Free||Slow||Files and applications|
The comparison in the above table clearly states that EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician is the most feasible and efficient way to transfer files between Windows Server computers.
Also, there are other key features that you get with EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician software. Let's see each one of them below.
- 1. Application Migration: Apart from file transfer, sometimes you need to transfer some applications between two Windows Server computers. EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician aids you by providing the ability for applications migration.
- 2. Data Backup and Restore: You can easily backup your data using this software. It is straightforward to restore the data anytime you wish through the software.
- 3. Data Rescue: The software also helps you to rescue your data from a broken or dead computer.
- 4. System Cleanup: System cleanup is another crucial feature that the software provides. You can perform system cleanup on any remote or local Windows Server computer easily using this software.
- 5. Transfer User and Domain Accounts: You can quickly shift your accounts from one Windows Server computer to another with just one click.
- 6. Free Technical Support: Technical support comes free with the software. You can use their free assistance 24/7 anytime you need it through your phone or remote.
The growing demand for data storage and manipulation has increased the need for multiple servers. A trendy server creation and usage are through the Windows Server operating system. It helps to manage servers and create them easily.
With multiple servers, the use cases to transfer files between Windows Servers are a lot. However, the traditional copy-paste approach does not work when it comes to sharing files among Windows Severs.
Therefore, you can use an FTP connection to share files among two Windows Servers. Also, the SCP command is another way to transfer the files among two Windows Servers.
But, the best method for file transfer is by using file transfer software that is EaseUS Todo PCTrans Technician File Transfer Software. It allows you to transfer files, apps, accounts, etc., at a much higher speed with just simple clicks.
About the Author
Updated by Tracy King
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More
Is Intel Data Migration Software Worthy of Trying? Here is the Answer!
How to Transfer Fallout 4 to Another Drive or Another PC
How to Transfer Files from iCloud to Dropbox [Step-by-step Guide]
(2 Fixes) How to Transfer Photoshop from One Computer to Another