Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10/11
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
It's easy to format a disk; thus, many people complain that they have formatted their drive unintentionally. If you have a similar experience, follow the solutions below to recover the formatted hard drive.
Why It's Possible To Recover Formatted Hard Drive
Most of us have this bad experience. You found that there are still some valuable data on the hard drive after formatting. The moment you realize that you have lost all the data, panic may set in. Don't worry. You can retrieve files after you have formatted the hard drive.
Actually, when you format a hard drive, the Operating System erases the file directory of all the data on the disk. In this case, you cannot find their data. But the formatting operation does not erase the data itself on the disk. That is to say, it is possible to recover the formatted hard drive. If you accidentally format a hard drive, don't panic! You can get back lost files by following the two solutions.
- If the data you are trying to recover has been overwritten already, you cannot recover it.
This solution can get back formatted data easily, and it doesn't need any technical skills. All you need is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard - powerful free data recovery software. It can recover files from a formatted hard drive, USB drive, SD card, or memory in three steps. And it is compatible with all the versions of Windows, including 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP. If you want to learn more about this data recovery software, you can go to Part 2.
How to recover formatted hard drive for free:
A step-by-step guide to recover files from formatted hard drive:
Note: To guarantee a high data recovery chance, install EaseUS data recovery software on another disk instead of the formatted disk.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Choose the hard drive partition which you've accidentally formatted and click "Scan".
Step 2. This formatted hard drive recovery software will start scanning for all the lost data and files. After scanning, you can click "Filter" to filter a specific file type to quickly find files you need. Or click Search files or folders to select data that you want to recover.
Step 3. Preview the scanned files. Then, select the ones that you wish to recover and click "Recover". Choose a new location to store the files and click "OK".
If you are a Mac user, you can also recover a formatted hard drive on Mac with EaseUS.
EaseUS Data Recovery ServicesClick here to contact our experts for a free evaluation
Consult with EaseUS Data Recovery Experts for one-on-one manual recovery service. We could offer the following services after FREE diagnosis:
- Repair corrupted RAID structure, unbootable Windows OS and corrupted virtual disk file (.vmdk, .vhd, .vhdx, etc.)
- Recover/repair lost partition and re-partitioned drive
- Unformat hard drive and repair raw drive (BitLocker encrypted drive)
- Fix disks that become GPT protected partitions
Bonus Tip - Back Up Files to Prevent Data Loss
If your data has been overwritten, what can you do? Your old items will be gone forever. It would help if you took some other actions. Backup can be one of the best ways to prevent data loss. It would be best if you had professional backup software. EaseUS Todo Backup is the one.
Download this free backup software, and you can select what you want to backup - your entire system, a disk, a partition, particular folders.
Step 1. Click the "Select backup contents" button to start backup.
Step 2. There are four data backup categories, File, Disk, OS, and Mail, click File.
Step 3. Both local and network files will be listed on the left. You can expand the directory to select the files to be backed up.
Step 4. Follow the on-screen guide, select the destination where you want to save the backup.
Click "Options" to encrypt the backup with password in "Backup Options", set the backup schedule and choose to start back up at certain event in "Backup Scheme". There are also many other options you can explore, customize the backup task according to your need.
Step 5. You can store the backup to local drive, EaseUS's cloud service, and NAS.
Step 6. EaseUS Todo Backup enables users to back up data to both third-party cloud drive and its own cloud drive.
If you want to back up data to third-party cloud drive, choose Local Drive, scroll down to add Cloud Device, add and login your account.
You can also choose EaseUS's own cloud drive. Click EaseUS Cloud, sign up with your EaseUS Account and log in.
Step 7. Click "Backup Now" to start backup. After the backup task is completed, it will be displayed in the form of a card on the left side of the panel. Right-click the backup task to further manage it.
If you forget to make a backup of your files before you format your hard drive, the only chance to restore files is using data recovery software. There are many data recovery tools that can dig deep into the architecture of your lost universe and retrieve these sacred scrolls of knowledge. Here, I have listed 10 of the best free Windows 10 data recovery software.
- data recovery software
- Disk Drill
- OnTrack EasyRecovery
- Puran Data Recovery
- Glary Undelete
- Wise Data Recovery
- Recover My Files
EaseUS data recovery software can completely recover lost files, photos, documents, and videos, after deleting, formatting, partition loss, OS crash, virus attack, and other data loss scenarios. It is your second to none choice for quick but complete file recovery.
- Supports all file systems including FAT, exFAT, NTFS, NTFS5, ext2/ext3, HFS+, ReFS.
- Recovers lost or deleted files, photos, audio, music, emails from formatted hard drive effectively.
- Recovers data from recycle bin, hard drive, memory card, flash drive, digital camera, camcorders, etc.
- Repairs corrupted JPEG/JPG photos and damaged MP4/MOV camera videos.
- Recovers 2GB for free
Recuva can quickly recover deleted, formatted, or lost data. It can retrieve lost or deleted photos, videos, audios, documents, etc., from Hard Drive, USB, or other storage media.
- Quick to download and install. The portable version runs from a flash drive.
- Easy to use. Perfect for everyone as it comes with both simple and advanced options.
- Deep Scan function could find more files, though it takes a bit longer.
- No tech support for the free version
Disk Drill can recover the files on Windows and Mac. It gives you improved quality and will recover archived, hidden, and compressed or encrypted files.
- Deep scan function available after a simple scan is over.
- It supports all file systems, including FAT, NTFS, HFS+, EXT4.
- It can recover any undamaged storage device.
- Only recovers 500MB data for free.
Developed by the world's leading data recovery provider, Ontrack EasyRecovery is simple to use and powerful enough to handle nearly every type of shared data loss situation.
- Powerful interface
- Wide range of features
- Easy file sorting
- Recover 1GB of data for free
- Must enter personal information to download the software
R-Studio is the most comprehensive data recovery solution for recovery files from NTFS, NTFS5, ReFS, FAT12/16/32, exFAT, HFS/HFS+, and AFP. Besides compatibility with all 32-bit Windows, R-Studio supports 64-bit Windows and uses all physical memory that highly increases a scan performance, especially on high-capacity disks.
- Enables the data recovery from various data loss situations
- Exclusively supports the data recovery from network drives.
- Allows to create image files and recover files from image files
- Can not recover files larger than 256KB for free.
- Old-fashioned and relatively complex interface
TestDisk is a free, open-source file recovery program that works amazingly well on almost every operating system. It can recover deleted/lost partitions, make crashed disks bootable again, and a whole lot more.
- Free, open-source, and secure.
- Can fix partition tables and recover deleted partitions.
- Rescues data from problematic partitions caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses, or human error.
- Inconvenient for regular users
Puran Data Recovery is another powerful yet free data recovery utility. Puran File Recovery works great to rescue data from your hard drive, USB flash drive, and SD card.
- It has Deep Scan and Full Scan options for more powerful searching.
- Able to preview files once highlighted.
- Drag and drop option is available.
- Totally free
- Can't preview the result
- The interface is not intuitive for users.
Glary Undelete, Recuva's sister program, is an extremely powerful partition recovery tool developed to recover compressed, fragmented and encrypted files on NTFS. It performs an automatic result sorting according to the name, size, and creation date of each file.
- Supports multiple file systems ie NTFS + EFS, FAT, NTFS.
- Perfect for undeleting items from the Recycle Bin or an external storage device.
- Preview capability helps find files you want to retrieve.
- It has an old-fashioned interface.
- Many junk files are found and listed, which can feel a bit overwhelming.
Wise Data Recovery recovers deleted photos, documents, videos, emails, etc., easily and quickly. With this free data recovery software, you can restore formatted hard drive data with simple steps.
- Light and space-saving
- Fast scanning speed
- The free version doesn't support deep scan and RAW recovery.
Recover My Files undeletes files you accidentally removed from your computer, Recycle Bin, flash drive, digital camera, memory card, etc. You'll see two tabs when the program is launched: "Recover Files" and "Recover Drive". To get back your deleted items, stay on the "Recover Files" tab, highlight the disk drive, and start searching.
- Quick, easy, and intuitive to use.
- File preview ability for certain types of files.
- Old-fashioned software interface
- You cannot save files with the free version.
You can recover files from a formatted hard drive for free with the help of these useful data recovery tools. You can choose the best file recovery software according to your needs.
Recover Formatted Hard Drive FAQs
Can you undo a format? How to recover data from a formatted hard drive? You can get all your answers here.
How can I recover files from a formatted hard drive for free?
Step 1. Choose the partition.
Step 2. Select wanted files.
Step 3. Recover files to a secure location.
Can I undo a format?
Sorry, you can't. If you want to cancel the formatting, the answer is no. You can make it easy to recover all lost data and move them back to the formatted drive again. This is what people called undo a format.
Can you recover files after a quick format?
Generally, after the formatting, your files are not permanently gone from your drive, so there is still a chance to recover lost data after quick format as long as you have not overwritten the original data. To recover lost data after quick format, you need a professional format recovery software to help you.
Can a wiped hard drive be recovered?
It depends on how you wipe the disk. If you only deleted files from it or formatted the hard drive, it can be recovered easily. If you have used special tools to write 0 to the disk, all data will be ruined. To prevent deleted files to be overwritten by new files, you'd better stop using the hard drive.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and loves various electronic products.
Evan Galasso is a digital forensics and data recovery engineer with over 10 years of experience in the field. He presents opinions on the current state of storage media, reverse engineering of storage systems and firmware, and electro-mechanical systems of SSDs and HDDs.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More