Page Table of Contents
Reviews and Awards
Available on Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 - In this article, you'll find three ways that can help you move Outlook to a new computer. You can choose to follow either method and go through the process based on your needs:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. (Recommend) Outlook Mover - Windows||
Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans > Connect two PC with "PC to PC" mode...Full steps
|Fix 2. Use Import and Export Wizard - Windows||Export Outlook PST file on your PC > Insert USB to your PC, select and copy...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Copying and Pasting - Windows||Go to "Settings" > Click "Data Files"...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Transfer Outlook to New Mac||To Migrate Outlook from One Mac to Another Mac > Export .olm File...Full steps|
If you have such needs, keep reading:
- Replace new PC/laptop - Want to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another new one.
- Buy a new Mac - Move data from one Mac to another.
How do I transfer Outlook to a new computer?
Outlook helps users store, organize, and manage emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes. With the quick releases of new computers and laptops, the need for transferring installed software to another computer also increases.
In general, you can use the manual method to export PST files from one computer to another. However, it only transfers mailbox content. If you want to transfer folder properties and Outlook settings, try the first Outlook mover.
Fix 1. How to Move Outlook to New Computer via Program Mover
Applies to: move Outlook .pst files together with Outlook app and settings to another computer.
All steps completes online! No need to start export and import process again. You can use EaseUS Todo PCTrans to migrate all Outlook data to the new PC in a few clicks. It is worth a try for transferring desired programs, software, and applications with account and settings to a new PC.
EaseUS recently updated its PC Transfer software with new features. It supports the transfer of Outlook application with its data, accounts with settings to another new computer without reinstallation. All Outlook version are supported.
Step 1. Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans on your PC
Go to "App Migration" and click "Start" to continue.
Step 2. Select programs to move from C drive to another drive
1. Tick the C drive and select programs (marked as "Yes") that you want to transfer.
2. Click the triangle icon to select another drive on your computer as the destination, and click "Transfer" to start the process.
Step 3. Finish the transferring
Wait patiently until the transferring process finishes and click "OK" to confirm.
When it has done, you can restart PC if necessary. This will keep all changes on your PC and then you can run and programs from another hard drive without reinstallation.
IMPORTANT: Once the transferring process is complete, restart the new computer. Then you can launch Outlook on the new PC and click the Activation button in this program.
After this, you should view and check your Outlook emails, address, contacts on the new machine again. In parts two and three, we focus on the manual solutions to transfer Outlook to a new computer. The first one relates to utilizing the Import and Export Wizard, and the second one uses copy and paste.
Fix 2. Migrate Outlook to New Computer via Import and Export Wizard
Applies to: Manually transfer Outlook .pst (database file) to the new PC.
Note: Before you start the transferring process, remember to install Outlook on the new PC and prepare an empty USB drive. Once Outlook disconnected, you can not use Import and Export Wizard.
- Where is the PST file location? By default, an Outlook PST file is located at "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" under Windows 11/10 or Vista and at: "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" under Windows XP.
#1. Export Outlook files.
Step 1. Click the File tab on the toolbar and click Options.
Step 2. Choose Advanced. Move to the Export part and click Export.
Step 3. In the Import and Export Wizard, choose Export to a file and Outlook Data Files (.pst). And then click Next to select a folder.
Step 4. Click Browse to set save export location and file name. Click OK.
#2. Import Outlook files.
Step 1. Move files to your flash drive. Open Outlook on the new PC, click File > Options > Advanced > Import from another program or file > Outlook Data File (.pst)
Step 2. You'd better choose Do not to import duplicates if you already have the same items. Then click Next to select a folder. Finally, click Finish.
You are also interested in:
Fix 3. Transfer Outlook to New Computer by Copying and Pasting
Applies to: Manually copy Outlook to another computer.
Step 1. Locate the Outlook PST file on your PC.
1. Open Outlook and go to "Settings".
2. Click "Data Files", select the .pst file which contains all your folder data, and click "Open File Location...".
Step 2. Insert USB to your PC, select and copy the .pst file to the USB.
After this, safely remove the USB and connect it to the new computer.
Step 3. Transfer and import the PST file to Outlook on the new PC.
1. Copy and paste the Outlook PST file to the desktop of the new computer.
2. Open Outlook on the new computer, go to "File" > "Open & Export" > "Import/Export".
3. Select "Import from another program or file" > "Next" > "PST file".
Browse to the location of the PST file and select the folder, click "OK".
Wait for Outlook to import the PST file, sign in with your Outlook account and password. Then you should be able to access your Outlook data on the new computer again.
Bonus Tips: Protect Outlook Data
This page offers three secure methods to help you transfer Outlook with data, account, and settings to a new computer using EaseUS Todo PCTrans or USB.
Besides this, it's also important to learn some tips on how to protect Outlook data. Here are some tips that you can apply and try:
1. Protect Outlook PST Files with Password
- Launch Outlook, go to File > Account Settings.
- Go to "Data File"> Under "Outlook Data File", click "Change Password".
- Set a new password to protect the Outlook data and click "OK" to confirm.
2. Protect Outlook OST Mailbox
Disable Cached Exchange Mode
- Go to File > Account Settings > Double click on Exchange account under "Email" tab.
- Uncheck the "Use Cached Exchange Mode" checkbox and click "Next".
- Click "OK" to confirm when Outlook pops up a message, telling that 'The operation you selected will not complete until you quit and restart Microsoft Outlook.'
Uncheck "Always Prompt for Logon Credentials"
- Double click Outlook OST file under "Data File" on the Account Settings window.
- Go to the "Security" tab on the Microsoft Exchange window, uncheck the "Always prompt for logon credentials" box to protect the Outlook data files. Click "OK" to confirm.
3. Back Up Outlook Data
The last but the most useful tip is to back up Outlook regularly.
You can either choose to make a copy of PST files on your computer to another device or apply professional Outlook backup software like EaseUS Todo Backup for help.
For Mac Users: How Do I Transfer Outlook Files to A New Mac
To Migrate Outlook from One Mac to Another Mac:
Step 1. Export .olm File (email, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes).
1. Select Export under the Tools tab.
2. Go to the "Export to Archive File (.olm) box, choose the items you want to transfer, then click "Continue".
3. Save as a .olm file: On the "Save as" box, select the Downloads under the Favorites. Then click "Save".
Use an external hard drive to transfer files to another Mac. Next, start to import the selected files.
Step 2. Import File on Outlook.
1. Navigate to the "Tools" tab and click "Import".
2. In the Import box, check "Outlook for Mac Data File (.olm)".
3. Select "Outlook for Mac archive file (.olm) and click "Continue".
4. Select the .olm file and then click "Import".
5. Select the .olm file and click "Continue".
6. Once completes, click "Finish".
About the Author
Updated by Tracy King
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More
Windows Server 2016 Migration Step by Step Guide
(Infographic Poster) 9 Best PC to PC File Transfer Methods 2023
How Do I Move An After Effects Project to Another Drive: Everything You Need Know
Does Windows 11 have Easy Transfer?