How to Migrate Windows Server 2008 (R2) to 2016/2019 Step by Step
When we talk about how to migrate Windows Server 2008 to 2016 step by step, it usually refers to two requirements: one is to upgrade Windows Server system from 2008 R2 to 2016, and the other is migrate data and files from Windows Server 2008 to 2016 directly. You can check the complete guide to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2016, including the migration of the Active Directory (AD) environment, Domain Naming System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
In this article, we mainly focus on how to migrate data, applications, or user account from Windows Server 2008 to 2016 with an easy Windows data transfer tool.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans - The Ultimate Windows Data Transfer Tool
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is one of the best Windows data transfer applications for files, applications, user accounts, and settings sharing between two Windows PCs or Windows Servers. For Windows Server migration, it has the following key features.
For all Windows Server data copying
It supports data, program, user profiles and settings migration between Windows Servers in one-click without data loss.
Simple solution and interface
The graphical user interface makes it intuitive to transfer data in simple clicks. Both computer experts and beginners can get started quickly.
3 flexible transfer modes
You can choose the mode of transmission according to your actual needs, transfer via PC to PC, locally, or via backup files.
Full support for Windows Server
It's compatible with all Windows Server versions, including Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012, 2008, and 2003.
How to Migrate Windows Server 2008 to 2016 Step by Step
You can learn from the following instructions on how to migrate Windows Server 2008 to 2016, including transfer files over the network (on the same LAN) and migrate data using backup files offline. First, click the button below to install EaseUS Todo PCTrans on your computer if you haven't installed it yet.
Migrate Windows Server 2008 to 2016 via Network Connection
Connect your two Windows Server computers on the same LAN and transfer files, apps with account settings through the network.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on your source and target computers, connect both PCs via the internet.
1. At the "PC to PC" section, click "PC to PC" to continue.
2. Select your target computer via its device name, then enter its account password or verification code and select the transfer direction. Then click "Connect" to continue.
You can check the verification code on the right top of "PC to PC" mainscreen on the target computer.
Step 2. Select the categories Applications, Files, and Accounts to transfer via the internet.
If you want to transfer data selectively, click "Edit" under each category, and choose the specific items.
Step 3. Click "Transfer" to start transferring your apps/files/accounts from one computer to another computer via the Internet.
Transfer Data from Windows Server 2008 to 2016 via Backup Files
This Windows data migration program enables you to create backups of your files, programs & accounts on the Windows Server 2008, and then restore and move them to the Windows Server 2016 or 2019.
Step 1. Create a backup file.
1. Connect your USB (flash) drive/external hard drive to your source computer. Launch Todo PCTrans, click "Backup & Restore > Start" on the main screen.
2. Select "Data Backup" to move on.
3. Click "Edit" at Applications, User Accounts, and Files columns to choose the specific data, applications, etc. to create a backup file.
Step 2. Recover via the created backup file.
1. Plugin your USB drive which stores the created backup file to the target PC and open EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Click "Backup & Restore > Start > Data Restore".
2. Click "Browse" to locate the Image file. Then, choose "Restore" and go to the next step.
3. Now, you can select Applications/Files/Accounts you want to restore.
Or you can click the "Edit" button to choose the specific data to be transferred flexibly. Click "Finish" to confirm. Besides, you can also click the edit icon > "Submit" to change the target path to recover and save the files.
To migrate from old Windows Server 2003 or 2008 to new Windows Server 2012, 2016, or 2019, EaseUS Todo PCTrans provides you one-stop solutions to copy files, applications, as well as other indispensable data, which are as simple as a click away. If you don't know how to migrate data between two Windows Servers or how to do it effortlessly, be sure to try this tool out.
Migrate Windows Server 2008 to 2016 FAQs
Check the following frequently asked questions on Windows Server 2008 to 2016 migration.
1. Can Windows Server 2008 be upgraded to 2016?
You can't upgrade Windows Server 2008 to 2016 directly unless performing a clean installation. If you want to complete an in-place upgrade, you need to first upgrade from Windows Server 2008 to 2012, and then upgrade to 2016.
2. How do I move DHCP from 2008 to 2016?
How to migrate DHCP from Windows Server 2008 to 2012/2016:
- Log on to the old/existing DHCP server.
- Open the Command Prompt and run as Administrator.
- On the Action menu (from within the DHCP management console), click "Backup".
- In CMD, type netsh dhcp server export C:\Users\\Desktop\dhcp.txt all, and then press ENTER.
- Install the DHCP role on the new (2012/2016) DHCP server using the Server Manager.
- Copy the exported DHCP text file to the desktop of the new DHCP server.
- Make sure that the DHCP service is installed and started on the new DHCP server.
- Open the command prompt as Administrator (on the new server)
- Type netsh dhcp server import C:\Users\\Desktop\dhcp.txt all, and then press ENTER
- Open the DHCP management console on the new server.
- In the console tree, right-click DHCP and select "Authorize".
3. Can Windows Server 2012 be upgraded to 2016?
You can only upgrade Windows Server 2012 to Server 2016. You can’t skip the upgrade, which means you're going to need to plan ahead for a more substantial upgrade, like you can't upgrade Windows Server 2012 Standard edition to Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition.
4. Can Windows Server 2008 be upgraded to 2012?
Yes, you can upgrade Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2012 Datacenter. After upgrading, you can log in to the server and check for the edition. Click on "Server Manager", then "Local Server", and check the properties of the server. You a see the operating system version is Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Datacenter.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More
About EaseUS Todo PCTrans
EaseUS Todo PCTrans can transfer settings, applications and data between PCs and HDDs. Your all-round PC transfer and migrate software to upgrade devices without re-installation.