Table of Contents
About the Author
Reviews and Awards
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Problem - Accidentally Clicked Don't Save Word on Mac
I accidentally clicked "Don't Save" while closing an MS Word document on my Mac. So I lost 10+ pages of work! Please help me recover unsaved Word documents.
In case you are one of the users who accidentally pressed don't save Word on Mac, read this tutorial carefully and try the following three solutions.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Use Recovery Software||Run EaseUS Mac recovery software > Scan device > Filter Unsaved Word file...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Use AutoRecovery||Go to Finder > "Go" > "Go to Folder" > Type "~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft..." ...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Use Temp Folder||Go to "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Terminal" > Enter open $TMPDIR > Open TMP folder...Full steps|
Dos and Don'ts when you closed Word without saving the file:
- Dos: Reopen your Word application, and see if the closed file was showing up in the Recently closed area. You can directly restore the recently closed item back.
- Don'ts: Never try to start a new round of editing in Word, which will usually result in data overwriting and reduce the chance of full recovery.
Related Post: Recover unsaved PowerPoint on Mac
Tip 1. Accidentally Clicked Don't Save Word, Try Recovery Software
Generally speaking, an unsaved document will not appear in the Trash folder, and it's also difficult to recover it from elsewhere. Here, we'd like to recommend a handy tool - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac.
- It is specially used to recover deleted and lost files on Mac. Whether your files are unsaved or lost, this Mac data recovery software will help you.
- Especially for unsaved files, it can retrieve the unsaved files from the previous version folder.
- It can not only retrieve lost Word documents, but also Office Excel/PowerPoint files and all other types of files.
Download the text recovery converter for Mac now, and let it find the unsaved Word file that you accidentally clicked "Don't Save".
Step 1. Select the disk
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac, hover the mouse over the device where you lost an unsaved file, and click "Search for lost files".
Step 2. Choose unsaved documents
After the scan, click "Type", and expand "Unsaved Documents". Click the exact file type - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote, Pages, or Numbers you lost without saving.
Step 3. Preview and recover unsaved files
Double-click to preview your unsaved file, select the right version and click "Recover" to save the file to another secure location on Mac.
For Windows users, please refer to this page: Recover Unsaved Word Document in Windows 10. If you still have problems, watch this video to recover unsaved Word documents.
- 00:00 - Options for Word Recovery
- 00:37 - AutoRecovery in Word
- 02:04 - Recover Doc From TMP Folder
- 03:06 - Recover Doc From Mac Trash
- 03:39 - Recovery Software
Tip 2. Recover Unsaved Word Document from AutoRecovery
AutoRecovery is a built-in feature enabled in the Microsoft Office application by default. It will automatically save changes in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. document files every 5 or 10 minutes.
In most cases, when you accidentally close a Word file before clicking Save (Ctrl+S), there is a chance to find the autosaved copy in the AutoRecovery folder on your Mac computer.
Here are the steps that you can try to recover a lost Word document without saving it from the AutoRcovery folder manually:
Step 1. Go to Finder, then click "Go", and select "Go to Folder".
Step 2. Type ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery and click "Go".
Step 3. Check the AutoRecovery Folder.
Step 4. Find the file named as AutoRecovery*** in other extensions, and open it with Word.
Step 5. View the content of the unsaved Word document, then re-save it on Mac Desktop.
Tip 3. Recover Word Document Not Saved from Temporary Folder
A temporary Folder is a local folder on Mac that works to save temporary files that is currently under editing or modification. If you accidentally clicked "Don't save" on a Word file, try to look for it in the temporary files.
The folder is named as TemporaryItems, and you may find all temporary files of the unsaved Word in a TMP format. Follow the steps to recover the Word document that was not saved from this folder now:
Step 1. Go to "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Terminal".
Step 2. Enter open $TMPDIR in Terminal and press Return.
Step 3. Find and open the folder named as TemporaryItems.
Step 4. Locate and save the unsaved Word document to the desktop.
Step 5. Then change the file extension from ".tmp" to ".doc" or ".docx".
After this, open it in your Word application and check the content in the lost Word document that was not saved again. If everything is there, hit the Save button this time.
Also, don't worry if you see nothing in the Temporary folder. EaseUS Mac file recovery software, as recommended in Tip 1, can help.
Tips to Avoid Losing Word Files Before Saving
When you accidentally press "Don't save' on Word on Mac, don't worry. The above 3 mentioned methods can recover unsaved Word documents on Mac.
To minimize the chance of losing your hard work in Word, keep those tips in mind when you edit Word the next time:
- Click "Save" or press the "Ctrl+S" keys once you've made changes in Word.
- Disable problematic programs that freeze your Mac or Word.
- Set the AutoSave to a higher frequency (10-minute intervals by default), such as 5 or 3 minutes.
Sum Up: Your Lost Word by Clicking "Don't Save" Is Recoverable
On this page, we collected 3 ways that can help when you accidentally pressed "Don't save" in Word on Mac. For an instant and effective way, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac with its unsaved file recovery feature is worth a try.
If you don't want to use software, AutoRecovery and Temporary Folder are the last locations where you can go and find the lost and unsaved Word document on your Mac. Your lost Word file that was closed by "Don't save" is recoverable. Go and follow to bring back your hard work now.
Accidentally Clicked Don't Save Word FAQs
If you still have problems, read the questions and answers below.
1. What to do if I accidentally pressed don't save?
- Try data recovery software
- Check the AutoRecovery folder
- Check the temporary folder
2. How do I recover a Word document after clicking don't save Mac?
You can recover unsaved Word documents on Mac with the steps below:
- Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac
- Select the location and click Search for lost files
- After the scan, select Unsaved Documents
- Double-click to preview your unsaved file
- Click Recover to save the file to another secure location on Mac
3. How do I recover an unsaved Word document on a Mac without Autorecover?
If you've been backing up your Mac with Time Machine frequently, you can use the Time Machine backups to recover the Word document.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and loves various electronic products.
Written by Tracy King
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More
How to Recover Files Deleted by RM on Mac
Tracy King/Apr 21, 2023
Can't Find My WD Passport on Mac! How to Fix?
Jean/Feb 22, 2023
How to Recover Deleted Safari History on Mac
Jean/Apr 24, 2023
Format Your Mac For Sale without Difficulty
Jean/Feb 22, 2023