Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Can't Open Folders on Double Click in Windows 10/8/7
"Please help, I'm not sure what happened. I can't open any of my folders that are on my desktop by double-clicking on them. Folders in my drive, external drive, and file explorer also couldn't be opened by double-clicking. Any solution?"
We've seen many issues that users can't open a folder, with error messages like this folder is empty, file explorer won't open, etc. Other than the mentioned incidents, double click won't open folders in Windows 10 becomes another hot problem that waits for troubleshooting.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Recover Files with Software||Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, hover on the partition where you lost data...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Change Mouse Settings||Type Folder Options in Search and click on "General" Tab. Choose "Double click to open an item"..Full steps|
|Fix 3. Adjust Double-Click Speed||Go to "Control Panel", find and click "Mouse". Adjust the speed by dragging..Full steps|
|Fix 4. Check the Registry Entries||Click on Start, type Run, and input regedit. The registry will open...Full steps|
|Fix 5. Adjust the Display Settings||Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings". Drag the toolbar leftwards...Full steps|
In this article, we cover all the possible solutions to fix folders not opening in Windows 10/8/7. But before this, we highly recommend you try professional data recovery software to recover files in the inaccessible folder first to avoid unexpected data loss. After all, data security is the most important thing.
How to Recover Files from Folder Not Opening on Double Click
As said before, you should give priority to recover files from inaccessible folders before trying any fix. To do so, you can use EaseUS data recovery software. With this tool, you can quickly scan and recover deleted, formatted, hidden, and existing files on HDD, SSD, USB flash drive, pen drive, external hard drive, SD card, and so on with ease.
To recover deleted/hidden/existing files from a specific folder, you can run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and scan the folder that won't open. Then, recover and save the files inside to another location.
Now please watch this video tutorial to see how to recover data with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
- Step 1. Select a location to scan.
- Step 2. Select files to recover.
- Step 3. Recover lost data.
Quick Tips to Fix Double Click Won't Open Files Windows 10/8/7
We list all the possible methods here, try them one by one until you solve the problem.
1. Change Incorrect Mouse Settings
- Type "Folder Options" in Search and click on "General" Tab.
- Choose "Double click to open an item" under "Click items as follows". Then, click "OK".
2. Adjust Double-Click Speed
If you have adjusted double-click speed on your mouse to 'fastest,' but you can’t click it fast enough to make it work. You need to change the speed.
- Go to "Control Panel", find and click "Mouse".
- In the middle area named "Double-Click Speed", adjust the speed by dragging. Then, click "OK".
3. Check the Registry Entries
- Click on Start, type Run, and input regedit. The registry will open.
- Go to HKEY CURRENT USER > Control Panel > Mouse.
- Find and open "Double Click Height key" & "Double Click Width key". Then change the value to 4.
- Restart the computer now, after restarting your problem must be resolved.
4. Adjust the Desktop Display Settings
Perhaps, each incremental system update/patch may cause the desktop display DPI scale of 100%, 120% or 150% to be incompatible with opening folders, File Explorer or This PC, etc. So, reverting the display settings to the earlier default should tackle the problem.
- Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings".
- Under 'Change the size of text, apps, and other items: 100% (Recommended)', drag the toolbar leftwards or rightwards to the most suitable scale.
- Go back to the desktop and see if the folders can be properly opened. If not, try a second time to adjust the display settings to a different scale.
5. Run Antivirus Software for Virus Scan
Install and run powerful antivirus software to scan and remove the virus, you can use Bitdefender, Norton, Kaspersky, or Avast to do it. Besides, remember to update the antivirus software timely.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Author Jean has been writing tech articles since she was graduated from university. She has been part of the EaseUS team for over 5 years. Her special focuses are data recovery, disk partitioning, data space optimization, data backup and Mac OS. By the way, she's an aviation fan!
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More