Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
The xD-Picture Card is a type of flash memory card. This type of memory card is used in Olympus, Fujifilm, and Kodak digital cameras 20 years ago. Nevertheless, it was withdrawn from the market in late 2000 and replaced by an SD card. Thus, its age makes it common to see its corruption. So, how to repair xD card? Here is the quick navigation.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Repair by Check and Fix||You can use the "Check" option to scan a disk for file system issues in an effort to fix a faulty xD card...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Change New Drive Letter||If you don't see the xD card's drive letter in Disk Management, it may conflict with another drive...Full steps|
|Fix 3. CHKDSK to Repair xD Card||Stop storing new picture files and other tasks once your xD card is broken. Another method for fixing...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Format with Windows Explorer||Most memory card users attempt to fix their xD cards in repair shops but are unsuccessful...Full steps|
|Fix 5. Correct xD Card functions||Another issue with xD Cards malfunction and incompatibility, which most frequently result from...Full steps|
xD cards are typically used in digital cameras to store images before transferring them to computers. What if the crucial data on your xD card was corrupted, and you lost it? Don't worry; this guide will show you how to recover photos from a corrupted xD quickly card and fix it.
About the xD Card
The xD in the xD-Picture Card is short for "eXtreme Digital". In July 2002, Olympus and Fujifilm released the cards on the market after developing them. Samsung Electronics and Toshiba Company produced the cards for Olympus and Fujifilm.
xD cards were produced with storage capacities ranging from 16 MB to 2 GB. The SD card, its main rival, gradually replaced the standard in the late 2000s. After more than twenty years, it is possible for an xD card to become corrupted for different causes today.
Searching for xD Card repair methods? This section will ensure you comprehend some common issues on the XD cards.
- 🔧xD picture card is physically damaged. This problem could be caused by user incompetence and have an impact on how well the xD card normally works.
- ⚡Interruption while formatting SD card. The interruption might occur due to widespread factors, including virus invasion and human misoperation.
- ❎xD Card displays the error "not formatted". The xD card's formatting is the cause of the problem. When an xD card becomes corrupt; it typically indicates a "Not Formatted Error."
- ⚔️xD picture card incompatibility. xD card is specifically made for digital cameras from Olympus and Fujifilm. Other camera manufacturers, including Samsung, Canon, Nikon, and many more, cannot use the xD memory card.
- 📸The camera doesn't recognize xD card. "Card is not detected" or "camera claims there is no card" are the two most common problems with xD cards.
How to Recover Photos from the xD Card
When you discover your xD card is corrupted or failed, the first thing you should do is stop using the corrupted xD card. Then, you should recover your memory card as soon as possible. If your xD card changes to RAW or Windows prompt you to format it before you can utilize it, try the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard program is being used to quickly recover data from a memory card to another location.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- Recover lost or deleted files, documents, photos, audio, music, and emails effectively from the formatted device.
- Recover data from RAW SD card, hard drive, emptied recycle bin, flash drive, digital camera, and camcorders.
- Support data recovery for sudden deletion, formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, and system crash under different situations.
However, the data may disappear if your xD card suddenly seems empty or if it only displays a portion of the data after correcting the corruption problem. The xD card can also be shown to reveal hidden contents. Follow the steps to recover hidden files from xD card:
Step 1. Select the virus infected drive to scan
Run EaseUS virus file recovery software on your Windows PC. Select the disk attacked by the virus to scan for lost or hidden files. Note that:
- If it's an HDD where files were hidden or deleted by virus, it's better to install the software on a different volume or an external USB drive to avoid data overwriting.
- If the infected device is an external hard drive, flash drive or memory card, it doesn't matter to install the software on the local drive of the computer.
Step 2. Check all scanned results
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard will immediately start a scan process to find your deleted or hidden files on the virus infected hard drive. To quickly locate the wanted files, you can use the Filter or type grouping feature to display only the pictures, videos, documents, emails, etc.
Step 3. Preview and recover deleted/hidden files
When the process finishes, you can preview the scanned files. Select the files you want and click the "Recover" button. You should save restored files to another secure location on your computer or storage device, not where they were lost.
How to Repair a Corrupted xD Card
This part will go over a few typical xD card issues and 5 proven ways to fix them. Get the appropriate troubleshooting techniques right away to fix your problems in the section.
- 1. Repair the Corrupted xD Card by Checking and Fixing
- 2. Change A New Drive Letter to SD Card
- 3. Use CHKDSK Command to Repair Corrupted xD Card
- 4. Format Corrupted XD Card with Windows Explorer
- 5. Perform the Correct xD Card functions
Applies to: Fix SD card not openable or inaccessible issue due to device error.
You can use the "Check" option to scan a disk for file system issues in an effort to fix a corrupted xD card. To do so, adhere to these guidelines:
After that, connect your card to your PC to see if it is operating correctly or not.
Applies to: xD card not readable or not showing up.
If you don't see the xD card's drive letter in Disk Management, it may have a conflicting drive letter with another drive. In this scenario, the xD card won't be detected by the computer and would appear corrupted or unusable.
This problem can be fixed by altering or assigning a new drive letter to the xD card in Disk Management. The instructions listed below should let you add a new drive letter to your card:
Step 1. Attach your xD card to your PC
Step 2. Hold down the Win + X keys, and then choose "Disk Management".
Step 3. Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." from the context menu when you right-click on your SD card.
Step 4. Choose a new drive letter for the xD card by clicking "Add" or "Change" on your keyboard.
Step 5. To confirm, click "OK".
Applies to: xD card file corruption or bad sectors issue.
Stop storing new picture files and other tasks once your xD card is broken. Another method for fixing a corrupt memory card is to use CHKDSKS Command Prompt.
You can use CHKDSK to fix the corruption problem by following these simple steps:
Step 1. Insert your xD card into the reader and connect the reader to your PC.
Step 2. Choose CMD from the start menu, then click the Run as administrator option from the context menu.
Step 3. Type the following command: chkdsk e: /f /r /x
Applies to: xD card not openable or inaccessible.
You can change the file system on your xD card to one that is supported if the card appears as RAW in Windows Disk Management or if your Windows computer or camera devices do not support the file system you are using. Sure, you may do that by using Windows Explorer. See out how:
Step 1. Connect the memory card to your computer and launch "This PC" or "My Computer".
Step 2. Right-click on the corrupted xD card to select it.
Step 3. Then, from a drop-down menu, choose "Format".
Step 4. In a pop-up box, you should now select the "Restore Device Default" option.
Step 5. To start the formatting process, press Start and then click OK.
Step 6. Hold off until the formatting is finished.
You will then receive the error-free XD image card.
Applies to: xD card malfunction and incompatibility.
Another issue with xD Cards malfunction and incompatibility, which most frequently result from the incorrect or insufficient operation.
You can follow the recommendations in order to prevent xD Card issues:
- To begin with, always copy the files rather than sever them from the xD Card. That will guarantee that the flashcard operates normally.
- Delete files from the digital camera rather than the system if you need to get rid of them.
- It is not permitted to format an xD card in a card reader. The camera won't be able to reply, and formatting problems will keep happening forever.
- Always use the card readers that were developed by FujiFilm and Olympus.
- To protect your card from potential hardware issues, update it routinely.
- To extend the life and prevent corruption, remove the xD Card carefully.
Several users have proved the efficacy of these fixes. If one of the methods is helpful to repair corrupted xD picture card, share it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms!
Not only the xD card, other devices like SD cards, external HDDs, or SSDs are also likely to become corrupted. The 5 methods mentioned can also be applied, too. In most situations, running the CHKDSK command can help you fix a damaged/corrupted device. What's more, the most straightforward way to repair a corrupted xD picture card is to format the xD card by changing its file system. However, always keep in mind to back up your data and you can recover the data by using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Repair XD Card FAQs
Here are 4 additional questions about repairing corrupted xD picture card. Check here for the answers.
1. How do I fix a corrupted xD card?
- First, attach your xD card to a Windows computer.
- Choose the xD card by right-clicking on "My Computer" or "This PC".
- Choose "Properties" - "Tool" and press the "Check" option.
- After the scanning process is finished, right-click the memory card icon to bring up the context menu, choose "Eject," and then take out the XD card.
2. Are xD cards outdated?
Yes. In the 2000s, digital cameras made by Olympus, Fujifilm, and Kodak used an outdated type of flash memory card called the xD-Picture Card.
3. What is the difference between SD card and xD card?
The capacity between these two is where there is the most noticeable variation. Although there are no cards available that are larger than 2GB, xD cards can theoretically hold up to 8GB of data. Newer models of SD cards have increased the maximum capacity to 32GB and even 2TB from the original 4GB limit.
4. Can I recover data from a corrupted SD card?
Yes, using a data recovery tool is the best option for recovering corrupted SD card data. Using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, recovering data from a corrupted SD card only requires three steps.
- Run the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your corrupted SD card while it is connected to a PC.
- As soon as you click the Scan button, the software will begin scanning. When the files are being scanned, you can select them.
- Recovering your files permanently.
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Dany
Dany is an editor of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. She focuses on writing articles about data recovery on Mac devices and PCs. She is devoted to improving her writing skills and enriching her professional knowledge. Dany also enjoys reading detective novels in her spare time.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More