How to Fix My Computer Freezes When USB Plugged in Windows 10/7
My Computer Freeze When I Plug in USB Devices
"Almost everytime (it doesn't do it all the time but like 90% of the time) I plug a USB key or my mp3 in my computer, it freezes all of a sudden. I've had this problem for a while and to be honest it's really bothering.
Can anyone give me some fix to try out if you have any idea of the problem, it would be very appreciated, thank you."
PC freezing after plugging in the USB drive is quite a common issue. In fact, the issue comes into view quite often when the corruption lays in either the USB drive or the USB port driver is corrupted. Before you take actions, you can try the two quick fixes below.
- try connecting the USB drive to another USB port on your PC.
- Check for the same issues by connecting this drive to another computer.
If nothing works, you may alternatively try implementing the following methods (in Windows 10/7) to resolve the problem:
Method 1. Use a Free Tool to Check the partition
EaseUS Partition Master Free can always help you check the partition with ease.
Step 1. Open EaseUS Partition Master on your computer. Then, locate the disk, right-click the partition you want to check, and choose "Advaned" > "Check File System".
Step 2. In the Check File System window, keep the "Try to fix errors if found" option selected and click "Start".
Step 3. The software will begin checking your partition file system on your disk. When it complets, click "Finish".
Method 2. Uninstall and Reinstall the USB Driver
1. At the start search for Device Manager and double click it
2. In Device Manager, double-click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
3. Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed.
4. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
5. Then, restart your computer and Windows 10/7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.
- You must disconnect all USB devices and then perform the operations above. After the operations above, open Disk Management and check if the USB drive is shown in the list of drives. If the drive is shown in the Disk Management window, try opening it there and move all your files out of the drive, if you get it opened. If it isn't showing up, follow this guide to fix USB flash drive not showing up in Windows 10/8/7.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
About EaseUS Partition Master
All-round disk & partition management software for personal and commercial use. Let it manage your storage drive: resize, format, delete, clone, convert, etc.
How to Partititon a Hard Drive on Windows 10/8/7
Was This Page Helpful
How Can We Help You
Find answers to common questions below.