3 Methods to Convert GPT to MBR in Windows Server
GPT and MBR disks perform similar functions but vary in their specifications. While GPT disks use the Unified Extensive Firmware Interface (UEFI) and support more than 4 partitions on a disk, MBR disk, on the other hand, uses the standard BIOS partition table and keeps only 4 partitions on a disk.
Many users prefer GPT due to its distinct features, but sometimes, you need to convert GPT disk to MBR disk. For instance, some Windows Servers operating systems such as Windows 2003 32bit, Windows 2000, Windows NT4, Windows 95/98/ME, and Windows XP 32bit aren’t compatible with GPT disk partition. For the GPT disk to be recognized, you’ll need to convert it to MBR.
Three methods avail for Windows Server users to convert their disk from GPT to MBR, and they are:
|Fix 1. Using EaseUS Disk Converter Software (Safe and Fast)
|Step 1. Install and open EaseUS Partition Master on your Windows computer...Full steps
|Fix 2. Using Disk Management
|Type "Control Panel" in the start menu and click "System and security", then "Administrative Tool"...Full steps
|Fix 3. Using CMD
Press the "Windows + R" keys and type cmd in the Run window...Full steps
The EaseUS Partition Master Enterprise Edition is an effective and reliable tool that effortlessly converts a disk from GPT to MBR without losing any data. It's a comprehensively equipped disk partition software that converts GPT to MBR, MBR to GPT, converts basic disk to dynamic disk, FAT32 to NTFS, creates, resize/move, adjust, merge and migrate partitions, to mention a few.
Suffice to say that EaseUS Partition Master surpasses both Disk Management and Diskpart Command Prompt in converting GPT to MBR. It safely stores every data on the disk while converting GPT to MBR and ensures that all existing partitions are kept intact during the conversion process.
Step 1. Install and launch EaseUS Partition Master on your computer, go to the Disk Converter section.
Step 2. Select "Convert GPT to MBR" and click "Next" to continue.
Step 3. Select the target GPT disk that you want to convert to MBR, and click "Convert" to start the conversion.
The tool is designed to deliver the best disk partitioning on Windows Server, and it enables all levels of Windows Administrators to manage their hard drives in Windows Server computers. Thus, EaseUS Partition Master Enterprise Edition should be your first call for converting GPT to MBR.
EaseUS Partition Master Enterprise
Your trustworthy Windows Server disk manager.
- Extend System drive, combine/split partitions.
- Clone disk, migrate OS to HDD/SSD.
- Convert MBR to GPT, GPT to MBR, no data loss.
- 1-click adjust disk layout, create volumes at one time.
Disk Management is a built-in Windows tool used for accessing and performing various disk partitioning tasks. To employ disk management in converting GPR to MBR, you’ll need to delete every volume on the disk. Therefore, you backup essential data to another disk or external drive and close programs accessing the disk before commencing the conversion.
Below are the guiding steps to converting GPT to MBR using Disk management:
- Type "Control Panel" in the start menu and click "System and security", then "Administrative Tool", and finally click "Computer Management" to display a new window.
- Select "Disk Management" under storage.
Note: You'll need to delete every disk volume to convert a disk from GPT to MBR in Disk Management.
- Right-click on a volume and choose "Delete Volume". Ensure this is done for all partitions.
Note: You'll need to delete every disk volume to convert a disk from GPT to MBR in Disk Management. Ensure this is done for all partitions.
- Right-click on the target disk and choose "Convert to MBR Disk".
Once the conversion is executed, you now have an MBR disk and can create partitions if you wish.
The Command Prompt in Windows can only convert an empty disk from GPT to MBR. Invariably, you have to delete all existing partitions on the GPT disk before conversion, which will result in data loss. So, to prevent data loss while converting GPT to MBR using CMD, ensure you first back up valuable data to another disk or secure location. Now follow the steps below to commence the conversion.
- Press the "Windows + R" keys and type cmd in the Run window.
- Next, type diskpart.exe and hit Enter.
- Type list disk and hit Enter. Ensure you note the disk number that represents the GPT disk.
- Type select disk n (n is the disk number, e.g., if the GPT disk number is 1, type select disk 1) and hit Enter.
- Type clean and hit Enter. It will clear all data and partitions on the selected disk.
- Next, type converts MBR and hit the Enter key.
- Finally, type exit to close Command Prompt.
Bonus Tip: Partition Disk after GPT to MBR Conversion Using Disk Management or CMD
After converting the GPT disk to MBR, you need to repartition your hard drive to allocate the free spaces and assign the disk to your file system. You can use Disk Management or CMD to perform this task.
#1. Use Disk Management to Create New Volumes
- All that's required is to open Disk Management, right-click the unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume.
- The New Simple Volume Wizard window will guide you through the necessary configurations, such as setting the partition size, assigning a drive letter, and formatting it with a system file.
#2. Repartition Disk Using CMD
Windows CMD can be used to repartition the disk after conversion by following the below steps.
- Press Win + R to launch the Run Box. Type cmd and hit Enter.
- Type in diskpart and press Enter. Click Yes when the Users Account Control window displays.
- Now type the following commands taking one at a time. Hit the Enter Key for each command.
- list disk
- select disk n ( n is the number of the converted disk)
- list partition
- select partition 1
- create partition primary size=* (MB)
- assign letter=*
- format fs=ntfs quick
Typing exit closes the Command Prompt window and indicates a successful disk repartitioning.
#3. Using Advanced Server Partition Manager Software - EaseUS Partition Master
However, to save you from the complicated stress of using Disk Management or CMD to repartition the converted disk, I recommend using EaseUS partition Master Enterprise Edition. Its Adjust disk layout feature automatically detects the new drive and supports partitioning 4 drives on the new MBR drive in a single click.
To save you from the complicated stress of using Disk Management or CMD to repartition the converted disk, I recommend using EaseUS partition Master Enterprise Edition. Its Adjust disk layout feature automatically detects the new drive and supports partitioning 4 drives on the new MBR drive in a single click.
Step 1. Open EaseUS Partition Master, go to Partition Manager and click "Partition this disk" on the popped-up New Disk Guide window.
Step 2. Set the number of partitions you need to create, and set the partition style to your disk - MBR or GPT.
Or, you can accept the default setting offered by EaseUS Partition Master. Once done, click "Proceed".
Step 3. Click "Execute 1 Task" and "Apply" to finalize partitioning the new HDD/SSD or external disk.
Converting GPT to MBR without losing data is best done with the EaseUS Partition Mater Enterprise Edition. However, if you're using Disk Management or CMD, you'll have to backup all necessary files before conversion, as you'll be required to completely clear all data on the disk. It's a complicated process and time ineffective. Download and Install the EaseUS disk converter software to operate with a few clicks.
Convert GPT to MBR in Windows Server without Losing Data
1. How can I convert GPT to MBR without losing data?
To convert GPT to MBR without losing data, you should back up your important data before converting.
2. Will converting from GPT to MBR delete data?
If your disk is above 2TB, yes, your data will be lost. To avoid it, you can move the extra data to an external hard drive or USB flash drive.
3. How can I convert GPT to MBR without reinstalling Windows?
- Create a bootable USB or CD on a healthy computer.
- Connect the bootable drive to PC and change boot priority.
- Launch EaseUS Partition Master to convert GPT to MBR.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More