To avoid the possibility of critical projects or high-risk operations causing the primary server to fail, an increasing number of companies are opting to utilize Hyper-V to oversee multiple virtual machines for testing or business development purposes. Therefore, backing up Hyper-V VM regularly is important to prevent unexpected data loss and business interruption. This article serves as an introduction to Hyper-V and provides helpful suggestions for utilizing Windows Server Backup or the third-party solution, EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise, for effective backup of your Hyper-V environment.
What is Hyper-V?
Hyper-V is a virtualization technology developed by Microsoft that allows for the installation and operation of multiple virtual operating systems on a single physical computer. Each virtual machine functions as a complete computer, running its own operating system and programs. This solution not only saves time and costs but also enhances work efficiency by providing a convenient and flexible method of managing multiple operating systems simultaneously.
Hyper-V Backup with Windows Server Backup
Once you have installed Windows Server Backup, you can proceed with backing up your Hyper-V virtual machines. The following steps will guide you through the backup process.
1. On the Server Manager dashboard, click the Tools in the upper right corner and select Windows Server Backup. In the appeared window, click Backup Once from the Action menu.
2. Select Different options and click Next. On the Backup Configuration box, choose Custom and click Next.
3. To begin the backup process, click on Add Items. This will bring up a list of volumes, from which you can select the Hyper-V option. Then, click OK and proceed to the Next step.
4. After selecting the location to save the file, please click Backup. Then backup process for your Hyper-V will commence.
Hyper-V Backup with EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise
Compared to Windows Server Backup, the third-party solution EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise is a more efficient and user-friendly tool for backing up Hyper-V virtual machines. It offers powerful features to ensure a smooth and hassle-free backup process. It only requires a few simple steps to perform a backup task.
1. Once EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise is installed on the target virtual machine, you can easily set up a new backup by selecting New Task.
2. Simply Browse and choose your desired backup destination, click OK, and then Proceed. The product will then create a full backup based on the parameters of this task.
3. Our Schedule Backup option is both easy and convenient. Simply enable Schedule and create a new backup scheme, choosing the backup types that meet your specific needs. Then, click Add to confirm your selections.
4. Once you have finished configuring your settings, click Proceed and the product will automatically initiate the backup task at the designated time according to your schedule.
In this technology-driven era, backing up virtual machines in a Hyper-V environment is crucial. While there are many ways to do it manually, this method can have certain limitations. We highly recommend using EaseUS Todo Backup Enterprise to simplify the process and save time. With its easy-to-use interface, it offers a hassle-free solution for backing up virtual machines in a Hyper-V environment.
By the way, if you have a large number of virtual machines to backup, the centralized management function is a valuable tool to streamline the process. Our EaseUS Backup Center is designed to simplify the backup and management of multiple virtual machines. With centralized management, you can easily monitor and manage the backup tasks of all virtual machines from one central location. This eliminates the need to individually set up backup tasks for each virtual machine, saving you both time and effort.
1. What is the maximum disk size for Hyper-V?
VHD is supported with all Hyper-V versions but is limited to a maximum size of two TB.
2. What is the difference between Hyper-V snapshot and backup?
When you create a backup, you are creating a copy of whatever it is that you're backing up. Conversely, when you create a Hyper-V snapshot, Hyper-V is not making a copy of the VM or its data. When you create a Hyper-V snapshot, what you are really creating is a difference disk.
3. Where is Hyper-V data stored?
Virtual Hard Disks is the default storage location for any new virtual hard disk that you create. The default location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks. Checkpoints (AVHD or AVHDX files) will also be stored in this location.
4. How many VMs are in Hyper-V?
A Hyper-V cluster can support up to 64 nodes with a maximum of 8000 VMs. Each node can support a maximum of 1024 VMs.
Was This Page Helpful?
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!