How to Resize/Remove Dynamic Volume
In general, you need to resize dynamic volume when:
- You find your data volume is running low disk space; you want to increase more free space for it.
- You want to stripe a volume to span multiple hard drives because striping volume can improve the read/write speed of data for all files and data are read from and written to simultaneously numerous hard disks.
- You want to resize a striped volume, mirrored volume or RAID-5 volume on your dynamic disk while Windows disk manager cannot resize them except for simple volume and mirrored volume.
To deal with all the tasks mentioned above, sometimes you are also required to remove GPT dynamic disk so that you can resize it. Partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master can resize (shrink and extend) and remove 5 type GPT dynamic volumes: simple volume, mirrored volume, striped volume, spanned volume and RAID-5 volume.
How to Extend and Resize GPT Dynamic Volume
Step 1. Locate the volume
Choose the volume on the dynamic disk, right-click on it and choose Resize/Move.
Step 2. Resize the volume
- To shrink a volume - drag the volume panel leftward or use the Partition size option to adjust the volume size you'd like to decrease, then click OK to confirm.
- To extend a volume - If there is no unallocated space, repeat the shrink volume process to create enough unallocated space. Then on the new pop-out window, use your mouse to drag one of its ends into unallocated space. Click OK to confirm.
Step 3. Apply changes
To save the changes, click Execute Operation and then Apply.
Tips: Resize GPT dynamic volume feature is not available in EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More