Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
- Delete Files Using the RM Command
- Can You Recover RM Command Deleted Files
- Steps to Recover Deleted Files After Using RM Command on Mac
- How to Use RM Command on Mac Safely
Delete Files Using the RM Command
RM or RM - R command is used in Mac Terminal to delete files permanently. When you can’t empty the Trash or a file is locked, you don't have permission to delete one or more files. This sort of glitch is annoying, but you can use these command lines to provide an easy solution. However, it’s dangerously easy to delete files with the RM or RM - R command.
For example, if you had a file here named MyFile.rtf that you never, ever wanted to see again, you could run this command:
If you want to delete a directory full of archives, containing sub-directories and files, run the command like this:
rm -R Archives
The RM command is dangerous because once you delete a file through this command, you cannot restore the data from Trash. Unlike when you move files to the Trash from the Finder, the deleted files are not saved in the Mac Trash. Therefore, it is advised to always keep a backup before attempting to use the RM command. You can turn on Time Machine or use data backup software for mac to keep these data safe.
Can You Recover RM Command Deleted Files
What if you don't have backups and want to get RM deleted files back? How can you recover these lost files easily?
RM command deleted files case:
"Yesterday, when I tried to clean up the trash on my Mac, I found there is a stubborn file which is difficult to remove. So I used rm - R command to do it. It removes the stubborn file from my trash successfully. But at the same time, the command line also erased all desktop file. Is it possible to recover files deleted by rm on Mac? If yes, how to do it?"
It is possible for you to recover deleted files on Mac after using rm command because when you delete files or folders using the RM command, the content of the files or folders is not permanently erased.
- The system only removes the link to the file making it unable to be found or accessed without special tools.
- Space (these files occupy) is marked as free space and can be used for new files or for additional content added to existing files. You'd better stop using the disk in order to prevent your deleted files from being overwritten.
So, you can easily get back the deleted files on Mac if you use a reliable Mac data recovery software.
Steps to Recover Deleted Files After Using RM Command on Mac
EaseUS Mac drive recovery is rated as one of the best software for Mac data recovery. It is a reliable file recovery program that works well in Mac file undelete. It has a comprehensive set of functions that allow data recovery from critical data loss scenarios.
- Recover all lost, deleted and formatted data.
- Recover permanently deleted files from emptied Trash.
- Recover data from lost Mac volumes/partitions.
- Recover lost data related to OS X or macOS update, system crash, power failure, virus infection.
By using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac, the files deleted accidentally by the RM command can be restored with simple steps. Now you can learn the detailed guide about how to do the undelete job.
Step 1. Select the location where your important data & files were deleted and click the "Scan" button.
Step 2. The software will run both quick scan and deep scan and work hard to find as many deleted files as possible on the selected volume.
Step 3. The scan results will be displayed in the left pane. Just select the file(s) and click the "Recover" button to get them back.
How to Use RM Command on Mac Safely
Although the RM is easy to use, using it properly and safely becomes important. There are some tips to safely use this command:
1. Use the - i flag for protection.
For example, rm - iR Archives. This will ask you to confirm the deletion of each item. This can be annoying, but unless you’re really sure you want to delete all those files, it’s probably best to be safe.
2. Don't use it unless you really don’t need the file(s) anymore.
3. Back up Data Regularly
Take care of the data before they are gone! EaseUS ensures the safety of your files. Data Protection option keeps your files protected and safe before something is merely happening. You'll never need to recover deleted files on Mac!
Was This Page Helpful?
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More