Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
HDD Repair Solutions - Page Content
- Part 1. Possible Causes of Hard Drive Disk Errors
- Part 2. How to Make Hard Disk Repair With Free Hard Drive Repair Software
- Part 3. How to Prevent Hard Drive Corruption and Data Loss
- Part 4. Hard Disk Repair FAQs
When the hard drive gets corrupted due to a file system error or the hard drive turns into RAW, don't panic. This guide would do you a great favor by providing detailed steps to repair a corrupt hard disk without losing data. To handle it, you must check if it is the logical error that prevents you from accessing the hard drive. If so, you can check and perform hard disk repair. If it is a physical hard drive problem, you'll need to send your hard drive to the data recovery or repair service center.
Related reading: Top 9 best data recovery software to recover data from HDD/SSD
Possible Causes of Hard Drive Disk Errors
Before you try to repair the hard disk, you should know what causes hard drive corruption. Here is the list of top reasons for hard disk failure.
- Virus attack
- Bad sectors
- Sudden system shutdown or crash
- Human errors
- Power supply and overheating problem
Now that you know what causes hard drive failure, you can repair the hard drive to solve your problem.
- When you connect a RAW hard disk to your computer, Windows may display prompt to format the corrupt (RAW) drive volume. Click 'Cancel'. Do not click 'Format' as it will result in permanent data loss without a data recovery tool.
How to Make Hard Disk Repair With Free HDD Repair Software
Before you start, you should manually check your power supply and the heat of your fan. Make sure that they are working properly. And then, take the following solutions for HDD repair.
1. Run Antivirus
Connect the hard drive to another Windows PC and use a reliable antivirus to scan the drive. Sometimes, viruses and malware can cause such errors. Therefore, an antivirus scan may repair the corrupted hard drive and make the drive accessible.
2. Check and Repair Hard Disk Error in Windows 10/8/7
Try Windows built-in tool to check and repair hard disk error first. If it works, you can easily access your data. Here's how to do it in Windows 10, 8, or 7:
Step 1. Open "This PC/Computer", right-click the hard disk or partition which you want to check and click "Properties".
Step 2. Select "Tools" and click "Check now" under Error-checking.
Step 3. Check Disk Options dialog will show up and select any one of the following options to check and repair hard disk.
Step 4. Select and check both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of back sectors", then click "Start".
- To run this tool in read-only mode, click "Start".
- To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the "Automatically fix file system errors" checkbox, click "Start".
- To repair errors, locate bad sectors and recover readable information, click "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", click "Start".
After the whole repair process, your hard disk or hard drive partition shall be able to work normally. You can then try to access saved data on the hard drive.
3. Run SFC Scan
The SFC Scannow option is one of the several specific switches available in the SFC command. It helps fix the damaged or missing Windows system files that may cause drive corruption.
Step 1. Open the command prompt window.
Step 2. Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and press "Enter" on the keyboard.
If the drive is a portable drive, type SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows and replace letter c: with your hard drive letter.
Wait for the scan to finish and then restart the system. You can try again to see if you can access your hard drive.
Data Recovery is not a challenge anymore. EaseUS serves as a dependable data recovery application to restore lost data within simple clicks.
4. Check File System With Free Hard Disk Repair Software
To check and repair file system error that causes hard disk drive corruption, you can use the free hard disk repair software - EaseUS Partition Master. It enables you to check bad sectors and prevent data corruption by fixing the file system errors with the Check File System feature.
In addition to the HDD repair, this partition manager software also provides variable useful partition organizing functions, such as resize/move partition, clone, merge, create, format, and delete partition, convert MBR to GPT, convert a logical partition to primary or primary partition to logical, and FAT to NTFS partition.
5. Use a Data Recovery Tool and Format Hard Disk
If the above methods fail to repair the corrupt hard drive and it's still in RAW, then the corruption is severe, and you need to format the hard drive. In this case, you should use powerful data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard quickly restore files from corrupted hard disk, recover formatted hard drive data or restore data from deleted partitions before you format the hard disk. Even when Windows can not recognize a corrupted hard drive as usable, this software still supports recovery from a corrupt (RAW) hard drive.
Now, download this hard drive recovery software and follow the guides below to restore lost hard disk data or recover deleted files in Windows 10/8/7.
Step 1. Select the drive where you lose your data and click "Scan".
Step 2. Use "Filter" or "Search" to find the lost files on the selected hard drive.
Step 3. Select all the files you want and click "Recover", and browse another secure location to save them.
The video tutorial of recovering data from the hard drive.
How to format a hard drive for hard disk repair
After successful data recovery from the corrupt hard drive, format the drive in Disk Management to repair hard disk. And then, move the restored data to the hard drive.
Step 1. Right-click "This PC" and choose "Manage".
Step 2. Go to "Disk Management".
Step 3. Right-click the target hard drive partition and choose "Format".
Step 4. Set the volume label, file system, and click "OK" to start formatting the drive.
How to Prevent Hard Drive Corruption and Data Loss
How to avoid hard disk corruption and data loss trouble on your PC in Windows 10/8/7? Here below, we have some tips for you.
- Run the CHKDSK command to check and repair hard disk errors frequently.
- Clean up a virus with antivirus software in time.
- Frequently de-fragment the drive
- Do not force the shutdown system using the power button
- Back up important data on HDD regularly. (External storage devices are recommended.)
- Apply EaseUS hard disk repair software to recover HDD lost data timely once data loss trouble happens.
Hard Disk Repair Frequently Asked Questions
Read more about HDD repair and with hard drive repair software.
Can a hard disk be repaired?
How do you fix a corrupted hard drive?
- 1. Download and install EaseUS free hard driver repair tool on your Windows computer.
- 2. Find your hard disk, right-click it, and choose Check File System.
- 3. The disk repair tool will check your hard disk and repair HDD error.
How to repair damaged external hard drive?
- 1. Connect your external hard drive to the computer.
- 2. Download EaseUS external hard disk repair software for free.
- 3. Right-click the external hard disk and choose Check File System.
- 4. EaseUS hard drive repair tool will check and fix hard drive errors it found.
Hard disk repair software free download full version?
What's the best free hard drive repair software Windows 10?
- 1. Windows built-in hard disk error checking tool
- 2. EaseUS free hard drive repair software
- 3. EaseUS data recovery tool
How can I repair my hard disk with bootable hard disk repair tool?
- 1. Prepare a storage media, like a USB drive, flash drive, or a CD/DVD disc.
- 2. Launch EaseUS Partition Master, click the WinPE Creator feature on the top.
- 3. Follow the on-screen instructions to Create EaseUS Partition Master bootable drive.
- 4. Start your computer from the USB bootable drive. 5. Right-click the corrupted hard disk, choose Check File System to repair HDD.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More