How to Reinstall Windows 11 Without Losing Data [4 Ways]
Sometimes some unexpected error codes or fatal issues happen. Then you need to reinstall the operating system. By doing this, you might sometimes face the loss of data. It can be problematic for you to lose some of your important data by reinstalling the operating system. If you follow the given ways or methods, no data will be lost, moreover, the license will remain intact. There are 4 steps mentioned to Reinstall Windows 11 and also follow the given methods before reinstallation so that you do not lose Data.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|1. Reinstall Windows 11 via Recovery Option||
Open Settings > Click on System > Click on Recovery on the right side...Full steps
|2. Reinstall Windows 11 via Recovery Mode||On the Sign-in screen, click on the power button located at the right bottom...Full steps|
|3. Clean Install Windows 11 from Bootable USB||
Click the Install now button > Click "I don't have a product key"...Full steps
|4. Reinstall Windows 11 from ISO File||Navigate to the Windows 11 ISO page...Full steps|
Can I Reinstall Windows 11?
Yes, Windows 11 allows using multiple methods to freshly install the operating system, keeping or removing the old files and applications on your PC.
You can reinstall Windows when upgrading to a new version of Windows. If your Windows slows down, then firstly try other options like uninstalling software that you don't use, deleting junk, using tools like disk cleanup, selecting minimal security program, using a startup manager tool to prune useless programs, e.t.c. and after all that, if it isn't speeding up, you should consider reinstalling Windows. Reinstalling Windows can be a faster solution to get rid of Malware and fix other issues than troubleshooting and repairing the specific problem. But if your Windows is working fine, there is no need to reinstall your OS.
Follow this page to get a complete solution and guidance for reinstalling Windows 11 on your computer.
Prerequisites for Windows 11 Reinstallation
Before reinstalling Windows 11, you need to do the following preparation work to get the best experience.
# Backup Essential Files
Before reinstalling Windows 11, you need to backup all the files and folders, and applications onto another storage device. Because often it happens that some of your data get removed in the process of Reinstallation. I will recommend you apply a backup software like EaseUS Todo Backup to backup all your essential files to an external storage device at one time. It will be easy and quick.
# Prepare C drive
Windows 11 installation requires at least 64 GB of free space left on the operating system drive. So, it's important to check your C drive if you have enough storage or not. If not, then clean up your C drive.
Clean up all the junk files and applications that you never use and make space for Windows 11 Reinstallation.
If your C drive is too small, you can always extend it by using EaseUS Partition Master. You just need to download the EaseUS Partition Master software on your PC and it will help you to extend your C drive.
Option 1. Extend System C drive with unallocated space
- 1. Right-click on the System C: drive and select "Resize/Move".
- 2. Drag the system partition end into the unallocated space so to add it to the C: drive. And click "OK".
- 3. Click "Execute Operation" and "Apply" to execute the operations and extend the C drive.
Option 2. Extend System C drive without unallocated space
- 1. Right-click a big partition with enough free space on the system disk, select "Allocate Space".
- 2. Select the system drive at the Allocate Space From (*) To section, and drag the end of System C drive into the unallocated space. Click "OK" to confirm.
- 3. Click "Execute Operation", it will list the pending operations, and click "Apply" to save the changes and extend the C drive.
0:00-0:32 Extend System Drive with Unallocated Space; 0:32-1:00 Extend System Drive without Unallocated Space.
# Select a suitable method to reinstall Windows 11
There are some methods to reinstall Windows 11 listed below-
- 1. Reset PC & Reinstall Windows 11 via Recovery Option
- 2. Reset PC & Reinstall Windows 11 from Recovery Mode
- 3. Reinstall or Clean Install Windows 11 from Bootable USB
- 4. Reinstall Windows 11 from ISO File on Computer
You can follow any of these methods, which are described below. Clean installation is the preferable one among most regular users. It can be more easy and simple.
- Open Settings.
- Click on System.
- Click on Recovery on the right side.
- Under the "Recovery options" section, in the "Reset this PC" setting, click the Reset PC button to begin Windows 11 reinstallation.
- Click the Keep my files option.
- Select the Cloud download option to download Windows 11 to perform a fresh reinstallation. Or Select the Local reinstall option to reinstall the OS without losing your data.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Reset button.
- On the Sign-in screen, click on the power button located at the right bottom corner and choose Restart from the options listed. Hit the Shift key and do not release it until the Windows restart into the Recovery Environment.
- Once you are in the WinRE, click on the Troubleshoot option. You can use the arrow keys and the Enter key if your mouse is not working.
- Now, click on Reset This PC.
- You'll get two options to choose.
- The next option will prompt the user to choose between Cloud download or Local reinstall.
- The next option will format your drive and erase all contents if you have chosen the Remove Everything option in Step 4.
- Click on the Reset Button.
You can use EaseUS Win 11 Builder to download Windows 11. It will help you to enable bootable USB on your computer automatically with just one click. It's a very compact and easy Window 11 downloader by bootable USB. It's free software and will help inexperienced users who are unable to do all the required steps to enable USB manually.
Step 1. The Win11 builder is integrated with the EaseUS OS2Go software. Click the download button and launch the program after installation.
Step 2. Switch WinToGo Creator to Windows Install Drive Creator. The obtained system information is available on the home screen, and it keeps updating all the time. Apart from Windows 11, Win11 builder also supports you to download Windows 10/8.1.
Step 3. Connect your USB flash drive to the computer. Win11 builder will automatically detect your USB device, so all you need to do is click the Create button.
Step 4. The software will empty your USB drive data if it's a used one. Once the downloading process begins, wait there until it finished or leave for a while to do you own job.
Step 5. After successfully downloading the Windows 11 iso image file on the USB drive, start to install Windows 11 from the bootable USB drive on your computer by following the installation wizard step by step.
Start your device with Windows 11 USB media. Then press any one key to boot the device.
On the "Windows Setup," you have to click on the Next button.
- Click the Install now button.
- Click on the option -I don't have a product key to continue. But, you will need a product key if this is the first time installing Windows 11.
- Select the edition of Windows 11.
- Click on the Next button.
- Select the option I accept the license terms in order to continue.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Custom: Install Windows only option to continue with a clean installation.
- Choose partition with the current installation, and click the Delete button.
- Click the Yes button.
- Select the empty drive.
- Click the Next button.
Once the steps are completed, the Windows 11 Setup will install a fresh copy of the new OS on your laptop or desktop computer.
- Navigate to the Windows 11 ISO page. If you are not logged in to your Microsoft Account, you must do so. If you are not already registered as a Windows Insider, you can register for free on the web.
- Choose an edition from the select edition pulldown, which you'll find by scrolling down the page. If you want the latest build, select "Dev Channel." You will see a confirm button appearing after you make your selection.
- Click on Confirm.
- Select your language and click on confirm.
- Click the download button that appears.
The ISO file will download to your computer.
Now, when your Windows 11 is Reinstalled, you need to follow some steps given below to work with your system smoothly.
#1. Restore the backup to the computer
Now, when your Reinstallation is complete, you need to restore all the data back to your computer. Follow these below steps to restore your data
- Select the "Start" button, then you have to select "Control Panel", next navigate to System and Maintenance, and then "Backup and Restore".
- Do one of the following:
1. If you're using Windows Backup for the very first time or recently upgraded your Windows version, select "Set up backup", and then follow the further steps.
2. If you have created a backup before, you can wait for your scheduled backup, or you can again create a new backup by selecting "Back up now".
3. If you've created a backup previously, but want to make a new full backup rather than updating the previous one, select "Create new", "full backup", and then follow the further steps.
#2. Reallocate hard drive spaces on the computer
You need to reallocate hard drive spaces on the computer. You can use the EaseUS Partition Maser to reallocate hard drive spaces on the computer. Use the following steps to get help on reallocating hard drive spaces on the computer by EaseUS Partition Master.
Step 1. Select disk to adjust its layout.
On the main screen, right-click the disk and select "Adjust Disk Layout".
Step 2. Reallocate the drive or partition size.
Drag the dots next to the partition head or tail to reallocate the partition size. Then, click "OK".
Step 3. Confirm to adjust disk partition size.
Click the "Execute Operation" button and click "Apply" to keep all the changes.
Don't panic if you see that your system is not working best or it slows down. You can follow our above guidelines and Reinstall Windows 11 if needed and reallocate disk space to optimize computer performance.
According to my test, the easiest method that will help you reinstall Windows 11 on a computer is using the Reset this PC option available via the Recovery settings. The feature allows Windows 11 reinstallation keeping your data or removing everything from your hard drive by downloading installation files from the cloud.
Reset this PC and install Windows 11 via Recovery settings will help you fix problems easily when the device isn't working fine, or any malware attack or your pc slows, or you are dealing with battery and apps issues. You can Reinstall Windows 11 or clean install by bootable USB for an easy and simple experience. It'll be very helpful and user-friendly.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
About EaseUS Partition Master
All-round disk & partition management software for personal and commercial use. Let it manage your storage drive: resize, format, delete, clone, convert, etc.
How to Partititon a Hard Drive on Windows 10/8/7
Was This Page Helpful
How Can We Help You
Find answers to common questions below.