Tutorial: Install Windows Server 2016 on Virtual Machine
Are you trying to install Windows Server 2016 on a virtual machine? Here in the below-offered tips, we’ll offer you secure, effective and detail tutorial steps to guide you prepare VMware workstation and install Windows Server 2016 on Virtual Machine without any obstacles. Feel free to follow below-offered steps to install Windows Server 2016 on your VMware workstation now:
Tip: If you have any important business or personal files on your VMware machine, please backup or move those files into an external storage device in advance.
So now you may follow to prepare VMware and install Windows Server 2016 on your virtual machine with ease.
Part 1. Create and customize the virtual machine
- Open VMware > Click Create a New Virtual Machine;
If you don’t have VMware installed on your computer, you may need to download and install one in your PC first.
- Select Custom (Advanced) to specify the VMware settings and click on Next;
- Leave Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility settings by default > Click Next;
- Add an installer image to the virtual machine and select Installer disk image file (ISO) > click Browse > select Windows Server 2016 ISO file and click Next;
- Select Windows Server 2016 version from the Microsoft windows > Next;
- Enter a name for the virtual machine and browse a location where you want to store the installation files by clicking Browse > Next;
- Choose how many processors your server should use on Processor Configuration > Next > Specify the amount of memory for the VMware (MB) and click Next;
- Select Use Network Address Translation (NAT) or Use bridged networking to connect and use the internet, as a network type > Next;
- Select I/O Controller Types as default > Next;
- Select disk type SCSI > Next > Create a new virtual disk by clicking create a new virtual disk for the virtual machine;
- Specify the disk amount and click Next > check the settings that you’ve customized and click Finish.
Now you’ve finished the whole process of creating and customizing a new virtual machine on your PC. You can move on to prepare and install Windows Server 2016 on your newly created VMware workstation now.
Part 2. Extend VM system partition for installing Windows Server 2016
Normally, a VM machine requires a minimum of 32GB and 2GB for Server with Desktop Experience installation option. Please do ensure that enough space is left in the system partition and system reserved partition on your VMware Workstation. Here below you may try EaseUS Partition Master Server - a professional Windows Server partition manager software to extend system/system reserved partition within 3 simple steps:
Step 1. Locate the Target Partition
To start extending partition, you should first locate the target partition and select "Resize/Move".
Step 2. Extend the Target Partition
Drag the partition panel rightward or leftward to add unallocated space into your current partition and click "OK" to confirm.
Extra Option: Get Space from Another Drive
If there is not enough unallocated space on your disk, right-click on a big partition with enough free space, select "Allocate space ".
Then select the target partition that you want to extend at the allocate space to column.
Step 3. Execute Operations to Extend Partition.
Drag the dots of the target partition into the unallocated space and click "OK".
Then Click the "Execute Operation" button and click "Apply" to keep all the changes.
Part 3. Install Windows Server 2016 on a virtual machine
Now you can follow the below steps to install Windows Server 2016 on your virtual machine without any obstacles:
1. Open VMware Workstation on your host computer > click on Power on this virtual machine;
2. Specify Language, Time Zone, and Keyboard when the virtual machine powers on > click Next;
3. Tab Install now to install Windows Server 2016 on virtual machine > Select the right operating system of Windows Server editions you need and click Next;
4.Tab I accept the license terms > Next > Click Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) for installing the server custom;
5. Select the disk to install Windows server on and click New > Specify the amount (MB) and click Apply > Next;
6. The server will copy all files to the disk, mount the files from the windows image, install features, updates and then it will take time to finish and reboot;
7. After reboot, set a complex password with uppercase, lowercase, symbols, and numbers and click on Finish;
8. When the customization process is finished, click on the button: ctrl + alt + del and sign in to Windows Server;
Now your Windows Server 2016 installation is completed and you can start using and manage it on your VMware workstation.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
About EaseUS Partition Master
All-round disk & partition management software for personal and commercial use. Let it manage your storage drive: resize, format, delete, clone, convert, etc.
How to Partititon a Hard Drive on Windows 10/8/7
Was This Page Helpful
How Can We Help You
Find answers to common questions below.