Clone GPT Disk in Windows 10 - This Method Would Work!
Is there a safe way to clone GPT Disk in Windows 10
It is more difficult to clone a GPT disk in Windows 10 than clone the MBR partition disk. Sometimes, you might receive an error message that says the winload.efi was missing from Windows when you try to boot from the disk, even you have done a successful GPT disk clone job. In view of this, on this page, we would like to introduce you to third-party cloning software - EaseUS Todo Backup, which allows you to easily and safely clone GPT disk in Windows 10. It is helpful for users who do not want to invest in expensive cloning software that they'd probably only use one time.
- Remember to create a WinPE disk. This helps to create a WinPE environment to clone the GPT disk. If you need instructions, please refer to this page: create a WinPE disk.
Clone GPT Disk in Windows 10 with EaseUS Backup Software
EaseUS Todo Backup offers users full backup and clone solutions in different cases. Providing multiple versions, the program can serve different types of users including home users, server users, company users, and business users. You can choose the right version and learn how to use it to clone GPT disk in Windows 10 with simple steps.
Download EaseUS Todo Backup for free trial now!
01. Connect A Second Hard Drive
Tools you need: a screwdriver, a Power Splitter Adapter cable, a SATA cable or an USB to SATA adapter. Make sure the target HDD/SSD is larger than the used space of the current drive. For M.2 SSD, you need to idenfity if there is a PCIe slot for connection.
- Connect the target disk to your computer.
- For desktop, open the mainframe with screwdriver and connect the disk to the mainboard with a SATA cable, then connect the disk's Power Splitter Adapter Cable into the power supply box.
- For laptop, you can use an USB to SATA adapter to connect the disk.
- Initialize a new HDD/SSD to MBR or GPT before you can use it (To keep the target new disk the same style as that of the current disk).
02. Download a Disk Cloning Utility
EaseUS Todo Backup is the cloning software that integrates multiple functions, including system/disk clone, backup, restoring , and system transfer, etc. In the disk clone field, this tool stands out due to the following aspects:
- Covers as many as disk cloning demands, such as update hard drive to a larger one, clone OS, etc.
- Disk cloning has the highest success rate among all similar products on the market.
- Supports all kinds of disk types, including IDE, EIDE, SATA, ESATA, ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0.
- Supports cloning of basic/dynamic disks and MBR/GPT disks.
03. Get Ready with the Clone Procedures
System Clone: Choose System Clone > choose the destination disk > click Next to start. In Advanced options, you can choose the option of Create a portable Windows USB drive to clone the system to a USB drive.
Disk/Partition Clone: Choose Clone > Select the resource disk or partition > Select the target disk > Click Next to start.
04. Boot from the Clone Hard Drive
Option 1. If you want to keep both the old disk and the new disk
- Restart PC and press F2 (F8,F10, DEL...) to enter BIOS settings.
- In the Boot option, select new HDD/SSD as the new boot drive.
- Exit BIOS and restart the computer.
Option 2. If you want to only keep the new disk
- Unplug the old disk and make sure the new disk is well connected.
- Restart your computer.
- Option 2 is a better hard drive retention plan for laptops
Bonus Tip: What's the Difference between GPT and MBR
GPT is short for GUID Partition Table. It is the standard layout of the partition table of physical computer storage devices such as HDD/SSD. Due to the limitation of the master boot record (MBR) partition table, it forms part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) standard and is also used in some BIOS systems.
The picture below illustrates what a GPT disk contains, which are a primary GPT partition table, normal partitions, and a secondary GPT partition table.
After knowing what is a GPT disk, then we'll tell you the outstanding features of GPT. Compared with the MBR disk, GPT disk has two prominent advantages:
1. GPT with UEFI replaces the clunky old BIOS with MBR partitioning system.
2. GPT breaks the limits of MBR.
The storage capacity of GPT disks is much larger than that of MBR disks, allowing users to create an unlimited number of partitions. Please note that if it is a GPT system disk, you can create up to 128 partitions.
Give EaseUS Todo Backup A Try Now!
Now you've know the easiest method of how to cloning a GPT disk. Download EaseUS Todo Backup now, you can clone the GPT disk on your own. What's more, it can also help you
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!