Table of Contents
- Best Data Recovery Software
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10/11
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Applies to: Fix Word Runtime error 53 in Microsoft Office 365/2019/2016/2013 and lower versions in Windows 10/8/7.
Is Windows popping up an error message, telling "Runtime error 53: File not found" when you trying to open or start a Word file on a computer?
Relax! On this page, we'll explain the symptoms, causes and guide you to fix Runtime error 53 with reliable Microsoft and EaseUS solutions in Microsoft Word 365/2019/2016/2013 and even lower editions.
Follow the complete guide here to get rid of "Runtime error in Word" on your own now:
Overview of Word Runtime Error 53
Error name: Microsoft Word Runtime Error 53
Symptoms: The Runtime error happens anytime. Mostly, when you run Microsoft Word, it will pop up an error message, notifying "Runtime error '53': File not found (***.dll)" on a popup window.
Causes of Runtime Error 53 in Microsoft Word
Run-time error 53 is caused by missing Windows components. It could occur with following reasons:
- The program is attempting to use a dynamic link library.
- The .dll or file has been deleted.
- The program is not installed properly.
So how to fix this error in Word? Follow the steps as shown below to make your Word file work again.
Note that if your Word application pops up 'Runtime error" with a specific error code, like error 53, 91, 4248, 4605, 5941, etc., while trying to open or start a Word file, a straight result of this error is that your Word file is missing, inaccessible, or turns into unreadable.
So before you start the process of fixing a specific Run-Time error in Word files, you may try EaseUS Word runtime error recovery software - Data Recovery Wizard.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- Repair a corrupted DOCX Word file, Excel, PDF, PowerPoint, etc.
- Recover and repair lost, corrupted, or inaccessible Word from Runtime error.
- Repair corrupted PNG file, JPEG/JPG images.
- Recover and fix corrupted videos, like MP4, MOV, GIF, etc.
- Open and repair corrupted Word on Mac.
Follow to see how to repair and restore your Word files from the Runtime errors now:
Step 1. Select a Location to Start Finding Crashed Word Files
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and then scan the missing or damaged word files.
Step 2. Scan for Lost and Damaged Word Documents
You can use "Filter" to find the damaged word files quickly.
Step 3. Repair and Recover Word Files to a Secure Location
Choose the word file and click "Preview." This program will automatically repair corrupted and damaged files. Click "Recover" to save the repaired word files to a safe location. (Please note: DO NOT save the files back onto the same hard drive partition or external device where you lost the data from)
The following tips are collected from the Microsoft support community and geek sites. Try them one by one and when the problem gets resolved, you may stop.
Tip 1. Find Missing File and Save to Its Original Location
- Run Search and type the missing file name.
- Open file location and copy the missing file, such as a ***.dll file.
- If nothing shows up, it could be deleted or lost. Turn to EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard as shown above to find the missing file or folder.
- Copy and paste the file in C:/Windows/System32.
- Restart PC.
If the problem still exists when you open a Word file, continue with the next steps.
Tip 2. Close Conflicting Programs
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab, select programs one by one, and click "End Task".
- Check if the error message persists each time when you stop a process.
- When the error disappears, find the program that is causing the error, and move to Step 2.
Tip 3. Update or Reinstall Conflicting Programs
- Type control panel in Windows search box and click to open Control Panel.
- Click "Uninstall a program" and select the problematic program.
- Or go to the Programs and Features section, click the problematic program, and click "Update" or "Uninstall".
- Follow the onscreen guide to update or reinstall the problematic program that caused Runtime Error 53.
Tip 4. Reinstall Runtime Libraries
- Go to Programs and Features in Windows 10, find and right-click on the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Click "Uninstall" and reboot your computer after this.
- Download and reinstall it on your computer.
Tip 5. Reinstall Graphics Driver
- Open Device Manager, locate the graphics driver.
- Right-click the video card driver and select "Uninstall".
- Restart your computer, Windows will automatically download and install the driver.
Word with Run-Time 53 Error Is Fixable, Get Back Your File Now
On this page, we explained what is Word Runtime Error 53 and the causes that make your Word file malfunctioning on Windows PC. Note that the Word file which is currently unopenable with 53 error messages is fixable.
Here is the editor's suggestion on what to do with the Word files Runtime error 53:
- If the Word folder or drive is inaccessible, use EaseUS Word file recovery software to restore the files first.
- If the file folder is accessible, but the Word file shows with Run-Time error 53, stop using the file.
- Turn to the Microsoft solutions and or the fixes on this page to get rid of this error in time.
- Last, it's also useful to create a backup of important Word documents regularly.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More