- 01 Accidentally Closed Word Without Saving
- 02 I Saved a Word Document and Can't Find It
- 03 How to Recover Unsaved Google Docs
- 04 How to Find Hidden Images in Word Document
- 05 Word Document Is Blank When Opened
- 06 Word Cannot Open the Document: User Does Not Have Access Privileges
- 07 Open ASD File
- 08 Run Time Error 53
- 09 Word Experienced an Error Trying to Open the File 2022
Applies to: Fix Word Runtime error 53 in Microsoft Office 365/2019/2016/2013 and lower versions in Windows 10/8/7.
Is Windows popping up an error message, telling "Runtime error 53: File not found" when you trying to open or start a Word file on a computer?
Relax! On this page, we'll explain the symptoms, and causes and guide you to fix Runtime error 53 with reliable Microsoft and EaseUS solutions in Microsoft Word 365/2019/2016/2013 and even lower editions.
Follow the complete guide here to get rid of "Runtime error in Word" on your own now:
Overview of Word Runtime Error 53
Error name: Microsoft Word Runtime Error 53
Symptoms: The Runtime error happens anytime. Mostly, when you run Microsoft Word, it will pop up an error message, notifying "Runtime error '53': File not found (***.dll)" on a popup window.
Causes of Runtime Error 53 in Microsoft Word
Run-time error 53 is caused by missing Windows components. It could occur for following reasons:
- The program is attempting to use a dynamic link library.
- The .dll or file has been deleted.
- The program is not installed properly.
So how to fix this error in Word? Follow the steps as shown below to make your Word file work again.
Note that if your Word application pops up 'Runtime error" with a specific error code, like error 53, 91, 4248, 4605, 5941, etc., while trying to open or start a Word file, a straight result of this error is that your Word file is missing, inaccessible, or turns into unreadable.
So before you start the process of fixing a specific Run-Time error in Word files, you may try EaseUS Word runtime error EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
EaseUS Toolkit for File Repair
- Repair a corrupted DOCX Word file, Excel, PDF, PowerPoint, etc.
- Repairs Word (.doc and .docx) files with original formatting
- Recover and repair lost, corrupted, or inaccessible Word from Runtime error
- Repairs PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx/.pptm) files easily and quickly
Follow to see how to repair and restore your Word files from the Runtime errors now:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and then scan disk with corrupted documents. This software enables you to fix damaged Word, Excel, PPT, and PDF files in same steps.
Step 2. EaseUS data recovery and repair tool will scan for all lost and corrupted files. You can find the target files by file type or type the file name in the search box.
Step 3. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can repair your damaged documents automatically. After file preview, you can click "Recover" to save the repaired Word, Excel, and PDF document files to a safe location.
The following tips are collected from the Microsoft support community and geek sites. Try them one by one and when the problem gets resolved, you may stop.
Tip 1. Find Missing File and Save to Its Original Location
- Run Search and type the missing file name.
- Open file location and copy the missing file, such as a ***.dll file.
- If nothing shows up, it could be deleted or lost. Turn to EaseUS data repair software as shown above to find the missing file or folder.
- Copy and paste the file in C:/Windows/System32.
- Restart PC.
If the problem still exists when you open a Word file, continue with the next steps.
Tip 2. Close Conflicting Programs
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab, select programs one by one, and click "End Task".
- Check if the error message persists each time you stop a process.
- When the error disappears, find the program that is causing the error, and move to Step 2.
Tip 3. Update or Reinstall Conflicting Programs
- Type control panel in Windows search box and click to open Control Panel.
- Click "Uninstall a program" and select the problematic program.
- Or go to the Programs and Features section, click the problematic program, and click "Update" or "Uninstall".
- Follow the onscreen guide to update or reinstall the problematic program that caused Runtime Error 53.
Tip 4. Reinstall Runtime Libraries
- Go to Programs and Features in Windows 10, find and right-click on the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Click "Uninstall" and reboot your computer after this.
- Download and reinstall it on your computer.
Tip 5. Reinstall Graphics Driver
- Open Device Manager, locate the graphics driver.
- Right-click the video card driver and select "Uninstall".
- Restart your computer, Windows will automatically download and install the driver.
Word with Run-Time 53 Error Is Fixable, Get Back Your File Now
On this page, we explained what is Word Runtime Error 53 and the causes that make your Word file malfunction on Windows PC. Note that the Word file which is currently unopenable with 53 error messages is fixable.
Here is the editor's suggestion on what to do with the Word files Runtime error 53:
- If the Word folder or drive is inaccessible, use EaseUS Word file repair software to repair the files first.
- If the file folder is accessible, but the Word file shows Run-Time error 53, stop using the file.
- Turn to the Microsoft solutions and or the fixes on this page to get rid of this error in time.
- Last, it's also useful to create a backup of important Word documents regularly.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and loves various electronic products.
Evan Galasso is a digital forensics and data recovery engineer with over 10 years of experience in the field. He presents opinions on the current state of storage media, reverse engineering of storage systems and firmware, and electro-mechanical systems of SSDs and HDDs.
Jean/Sep 22, 2022
Cedric/Dec 06, 2022
Brithny/Sep 22, 2022
Roxanne/Sep 22, 2022