Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Quick navigation to the methods for Word document is blank when opened problem:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Use Open and Repair feature||First, try Microsoft Word built-in Open and Repair future to fix the blank Word. Start Word > "File" > "Open" > Select blank word > "Open and Repair"...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Use EaseUS file repair tool||EaseUS Word document repair software can fix corrupted Word easily. Free download this file recovery tool...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Use /a Switch utility||The /a switch tool can help check where a problem may exist in Word. It prevents add-ins, templates...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Delete Word Data in Registry||If the saved Word blank issue is caused by unspecific options and settings, delete Word Data...Full steps|
|Fix 5. Restore from Previous Version||If you've enabled Windows file backup, you can restore Word from previous versions to fix the issue...Full steps|
Issue - Saved Word Document Now Blank
"I was working on a Word document (about 5 pages of a report) for a long time yesterday and saved it several times. But this morning, when I tried to open the document, it just showed up empty with no text. I am in huge trouble. Why is my saved Word document blank when I open it? How can I recover the blank Word documents? Any solutions?"
Why Is My Word Document Blank
The causes of Microsoft saved Word document opens but no text are uncertain. There are two reasons for this problem.
- The document has been corrupted in some way. In this case, the content of your Word document is gone, and the file shows up as empty.
- Malware, virus, or other external threats attack the Word and lead to empty Word document.
When you encounter the saved Word document is blank when opened, how to troubleshoot? The next part covers the answers. If your Word document opens blank because that you forgot to save it, the solution is different. Read the article on how to recover unsaved Word document in Windows 10.
How to Fix Word Document Is Blank When Opened
On this page, we offer you a few possible solutions to solve the saved Word document now blank issue. Try each one in turn until the problem is fixed.
Fix 1. Open Blank Word Document Using Open and Repair Tool
1. Start Word.
2. On the File menu or the Microsoft Office button, click "Open".
3. In the Open dialog box, click to select the blank Word file.
4. Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click "Open and Repair".
This Microsoft Word built-in feature will then fix the problem of corruption that is detected within these documents.
Fix 2. Recover Word Document with File Repair Software
If the saved Word document is corrupted, you may not open it or it may be blank when opened. Under this circumstance, you need a Word document repair tool. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, integrated file recovery and repair software, allows you to repair any corrupted photos, videos, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or other files with ease.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard - reliable file repair software.
- Repair corrupted photos with free preview option
- Fix corrupted videos in MP4 and MOV formats on Windows and Mac
- Fix multiple damaged files without limits
- Repair corrupted files from PC, laptop, external hard drive, SD card, USB flash drive, etc.
Download and install EaseUS data recovery and file repair program on your PC and follow the steps below to fix blank Word documents.
Step 1. Select a Location to Start Finding Crashed Word Files
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and then scan the missing or damaged word files.
Step 2. Repair and Recover Lost Word document
First, find the damaged files through filter, file path, search, etc.
Second, preview and repair. This program will automatically repair corrupted and damaged files.
Tip: It supports single file size <= 100MB.
Step 3. Save the file to a secure location
Click Recover to save the repaired word files to a safe location. (Please note: DO NOT save the files back onto the same hard drive partition or external device where you lost the data from)
Except for file or document repair, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is also famous in the data recovery field. It can quickly recover any lost or deleted files with the best file recovery algorithm technology.
- Recover deleted files as well as formatted and inaccessible data in different data loss situations.
- Recover lost or deleted Word documents, photos, audio, music, and emails from any storage effectively.
- Recover data from emptied recycle bin, hard drive, memory card, SD card, flash drive, digital camera, and camcorder.
- Restore lost data on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019 - 2003.
Fix 3. Start Blank Word by Using the /a Switch
Another way you can take to fix Word document blank when opened problem is using the /a switch. The /a switch is a troubleshooting tool that can determine where the problem may be in Word.
When you open Word with /a switch, all the add-ins, global templates, and settings won’t load, so you can determine if the Work blank issue is caused by these factors.
Follow these steps:
1. Type Run in the Search box and then press Enter.
2. Type winword /a in the Run dialog box, and press Enter.
If the Word document opens with text, the problem is found. And you need to disable the add-ins. While if your Word document is still blank, try the next option.
Fix 4. Fix Blank Word Document by Deleting Word Data Registry Subkey
One of the common solutions to fix Word problem is deleting the Word Data registry subkey, which stores most of the options and default settings in Word.
When you restart Word, the program will rebuild the Word Data registry subkey by using the default settings. Hope this method helps you.
1. Exit Word, right-click the Start button, then choose Run.
2. Type regedit, then press Enter to start the Registry Editor.
3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data. Right-click "Data" and delete it.
4. Exit the Registry Editor and restart Word.
Fix 5. Restore a Blank Word Document from Previous Versions
Some users have reported that this workaround is effective in bringing back blank Word files. It is worth giving it a try. But note that, to restore a file from the previous versions, you need to enable the File History or restore points in advance; otherwise, this won't be available.
1. Right-click the blank Word document, choose to "Restore previous versions".
2. In the list of previous recovery points, choose the latest one.
3. Click the "Restore" button to recover it back.
To Sum Up
We believe that after trying the above approaches, you can fix the Word document is blank when opened problem. Among the five solutions, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is an ultimate tool that you can't miss.
It is not only an excellent file repair program, its data recovery function is world-famous. You can use it to recover permanently deleted files without any effort.
- Word document is blank when opened on Mac? Look here!
- Many users have complained about the same problem in the apple community - saved Word document is blank when opened on Mac. Once the problem arises, shutting down and restarting Word or the computer does not fix the problem. If you also have this issue, try to restore the lost Word file on Mac to fix the Word document blank when opened issue.
Was This Page Helpful?
Cedric Grantham is one of the senior editors of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. He mainly writes articles about data recovery tutorials on PC and Mac and how-to tips for partition management. He always keeps an eye on new releases and likes various electronic products.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More