SSDs have been a great innovation in computing system and performance. Benchmarking your SSD's performance is another critical task that leads to better efficiency. However, most users are not readily aware of this process. This article comes with a comprehensive discussion on properly benchmarking SSD performance.
|🎯Goal:||Guide all levels of Windows users to benchmark SSD performance successfully.|
|💽Supported SSD:||SATA SSD, NVM.e SSD, M.2 SSD, mSATA SSD, etc.|
How to Benchmark SSD Performance [Your Complete Guide 2023]
As you have analyzed why you should benchmark SSD performance, it is time to figure out how it can be done. Following is an overview of the most appropriate method that can be used to benchmark the performance of any SSD:
To maximize the performance of your SSD, you should consider using EaseUS Partition Master, a tool designed to serve a particular purpose. While it is based on maximizing performances and making operations worthwhile, it provides a list of dedicated features to help users run SSD benchmark in simple clicks. The DiskMark and Disk Health features are prominent features that help in this purpose.
Download this tool and benchmark the performance of your SSD for a better understanding of how good your device is performing and what good you can do to it.
The process involves detecting multiple factors, such as judging the SSD read and write speeds and offering a complete disk performance test authority. Those looking to benchmark SSD performance can get great results from this tool as it provides hold-on details such as disk temperature, S.M.A.R.T data, and much more. With the help of these features, one can judge the reliability of their SSD.
EaseUS Partition Master is an all-in-one disk partitioning software that helps users to manage, create, delete, resize, extend, shrink, clone, convert, and migrate hard disk drives and partitions. from G2
Guide on Benchmarking SSD Performance
Following an overview of the EaseUS Partition Master, we will now redirect into discussing how this tool can be used to benchmark the SSD performance with its appropriate tools:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master. And click the download button to activate the "DiskMark" feature under the "Discovery" section.
Step 2. Click on the drop-down box to choose the target drive, test data, and block size.
Step 3. Once everything is configured, click "Start" to begin the disk test. Then, you can see the Sequential or Random read/write speed, I/O, and Delay data.
Tips for Improving SSD Performance
While you can use particular techniques for improving the performance of your SSD, some specific tips can be followed to automatically benefit the SSD's operations. Follow these tips for a better understanding of how it can be improved:
- Disable Unnecessary Services: Any services present within your computer and hindering its performance should be deleted. As they continually run in the background, they can heavily affect the device.
- Optimize the Operating System: You can perform multiple techniques to optimize the performance of your operating system, including disabling indexing in your computer, enabling the TRIM feature, etc.
- Update All Drivers: Ensure your computer device has updated drivers for all its components and elements. Any outdated thing can cause a lot of problems for the user.
- Avoiding Disk Fragmentation: You must prevent splitting the disk drives into smaller parts and enable the operation of files getting stored in multiple locations. Use proper de-fragmentation tools to keep drives optimized.
- Avoid Excess in Write Cycles: There is a limit of write cycles for every SSD. To keep it optimal, try to avoid all kinds of unwanted installations and large files downloading and avoid using the SSD as temporary storage.
- Update its Firmware: It is advisable to change the interface of your SSD to improve the device's performance.
Last but not least, always take EaseUS Partition Master as the best plan to keep SSD performance at a certain level. This software is a great source for maintaining and managing your SSD performance with these features:
- It can help you utilize your SSD and optimize it with 4K alignment.
- You can also check file system errors with it and run the surface test to check the disk's health and fix bad sectors.
- Furthermore, you can also convert your SSD to MBR/GPT and change cluster size to improve disk performance.
Why Benchmark SSD Performance Matters
The first question that comes to the mind of every other user is why the benchmark SSD performance holds importance in the market. There are a set of features that help users understand the importance of this particular metric in the field of computer technology, which is discussed as follows:
✅Read and Write Speeds
The performance of a specific device is based heavily on this metric. The reading speed of an SSD is equivalent to the speed of how quickly it retrieves the data. The writing speed of an SSD is based on the rate of saving the data within the computer. The time metrics of these two readings define the read and write speeds, providing an insight into its fast launching and fast file transfer systems.
The time taken to respond to a particular operation is called the latency of a particular object. In the computing world, this metric defines the speed and performance of the device. Thus, SSDs with lower latency are believed to operate the best and respond faster. They can also improve the performance of the overall system and execute more tasks in a shorter period.
✅Input/Output Operations Per Second
IOPS (Input/Output Operations per Second) is a metric used to judge the speed and agility of a computing device. This metric defines the number of input/output operations performed by the SSD within a second. A better value of IOPS equals an SSD that performs better in the market. Such metrics serve the purpose in situations where the operations are minute and large.
An SSD that offers the specific functionality of over-provisioning makes its operations smoother. In this particular operation, a portion of the SSD is set aside for the controller or computer use. The performance of the entire system increases tenfold after over-provisioning the system.
If you use an SSD with the interface NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express), it will operate much better than those based on SATA or PCIe. NVMe offers better transfer speeds and improved performance metrics with better benchmark results.
Why Is It Important to Benchmark the Speed and Efficiency of SSDs?
If you consider benchmarking the speed and efficiency of an SSD, it gets easier for you to judge how well your computer is performing. This can help you determine the lacking factor in your device and help you bring a proper troubleshooting solution for it. Following are some reasons why benchmarking can serve a good purpose:
- Evaluation: You can easily assess the performance of your current SSD device with the help of benchmarking. For those who suspect their device to be underperforming, they can figure out whether it is the read/write speed or latency that is causing issues.
- Optimization: This procedure can guide you in optimizing and improving the devices in every way. While you get to know the weak points of the SSD device you own, this helps you dissect all the ways to help you improve the performance of the device.
- Selecting SSDs: If you buy a new SSD and want to benchmark the performance with some competitors, it can be a great way to understand the depth of this entire device. When you get some metrics to judge, selecting the SSDs becomes the easiest of operations.
This article has provided a comprehensive overview of how a user can benchmark SSD performance and how they should keep a check on it. While its importance has been realized, it has been found that it genuinely provides a clear picture of how well the computer is performing. For an efficient SSD performance benchmark software, you can always take EaseUSPartition Master for help.
Follow the tips mentioned in the article to improve the performance of your PC after benchmarking its SSD.
FAQs About Benchmark SSD Performance
We will look into some important FAQs that people have to ask about benchmark SSD performance. A review of these questions will give a better overview of the entire model:
1. What is AS SSD Benchmark and its alternative?
AS SSD benchmark is an existing tool used for benchmarking SSDs. While this tool has been in the market for a while, many issues have been reported against it. From being an outdated tool to a platform that does not offer substantial benchmarking values to the user, AS SSD Benchmark has lost its charm. In comparison, EaseUS Partition Master has turned out to provide better services.
2. How do I know if my SSD is performing optimally?
If you seek to know that your SSD is performing in the best way, follow this simple procedure to verify the status:
Step 1: Look through the average speed of your SSD in the provided manuals by the manufacturer. Note it down for further referencing and continue.
Step 2: Continue to benchmark the performance of your SSD with the appropriate tools and get the results, including the speed.
Step 3: After obtaining the tested speed, compare the results and see if they match. If they do, the SSD is performing properly; if it isn't, you will have to look into replacing or repairing it.
3. Will benchmark damage SSD and its performance?
Yes, benchmarking your SSD does have repercussions on its performance. It majorly depends on the software that is being used for the purpose. In such cases, tools like EaseUS Partition Master protect the SSDs from harm. Thus, before selecting the tool to benchmark SSD performance, you should be mindful.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More